Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford cancels Focus Active import plans due to China tariffs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 07:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I had said in the debate forum. The political winds are beginning to change in a non favourable way for Donald Trump. Ford would never of responded like this a year ago or more ago. Neither would NIKE with the support of Colin K.
every business should do what is best for them... but it does not mean that it is best for the country.

Wage growth and employment is actually soaring so obviously everyone is winning now, lol.
Old 09-10-18, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw that the Nike sales are up.
it's a sad day when a successful company glorifies a failed nfl player who rejected the national anthem at football games for a 'cause' that has nothing to do with football or the national anthem.

Originally Posted by spwolf
every business should do what is best for them... but it does not mean that it is best for the country.
i know i'm not much of a target customer, but i for one will never ever buy a nike product again. yes, nike seized this 'opportunity' and it may play well to younger buyers... more power to them.

Old 09-10-18, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I don't disagree about the Nike thing, I think the issue comes from the fact that he "believed in something and sacrificed everything". Like I said about "miracles" in the other thread, I think the definition of "everything" is a little stretched here.
Old 09-10-18, 12:11 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's a sad day when a successful company glorifies a failed nfl player who rejected the national anthem at football games for a 'cause' that has nothing to do with football or the national anthem.
My thoughts EXACTLY!!
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i know i'm not much of a target customer, but i for one will never ever buy a nike product again. yes, nike seized this 'opportunity' and it may play well to younger buyers... more power to them.
same here, I own a few nike shirts but will be either trashing them or using permanent marker to block out the logo.
Old 09-10-18, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have never gone out of my way to buy or not buy Nike products. This won't change my buying behavior at all.

If you feel strongly, using permanent marker makes no sense. You already bought the product, Nike already benefitted. Put your money where your mouth is and stop using it.
Old 09-10-18, 02:04 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have never gone out of my way to buy or not buy Nike products. This won't change my buying behavior at all.

If you feel strongly, using permanent marker makes no sense. You already bought the product, Nike already benefitted. Put your money where your mouth is and stop using it.
+1, the whole burning shoes thing is hilariously pointless. At least give the shoes away or something. You paid for them, Nike already got your money.

side note: I don't disagree with Mr. Kaepernick, but perhaps Nike is taking unfair advantage of him to sell shoes?

Anywho...
Old 09-10-18, 03:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

well you said it - they already benefitted and got their money - what good does burning it or trashing it do??

I don't wanna advertise for nike anymore but I love my 2017 World Champion Houston Astros gear so I can at least black out the logos

Old 09-10-18, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
well you said it - they already benefitted and got their money - what good does burning it or trashing it do??

I don't wanna advertise for nike anymore but I love my 2017 World Champion Houston Astros gear so I can at least black out the logos
Because you as a consumer who clearly feels strongly about this issue would go out and spend more money on competitors gear to make your point.

Just blacking out the logos and continuing to enjoy the products you like which you already purchased from Nike is just hypocrisy. Yeah you "care" but not enough to spend any more money or to give up products you use and you like. You clearly don't care enough to accrue any cost or put forth any effort or sacrifice.

Looks totally foolish IMHO. I had a buddy show up for lunch today with duct tape on his socks. Just ridiculous. If he actually cared he'd go buy new Adidas socks. He doesn't actually care is the point.
Old 09-10-18, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Put your money where your mouth is and stop using it.
LOL...that's exactly what I do...$7.99 at Walmart's. Let's see Nike sell at that price. Of course, tariffs might (?) drive up the Walmart price a little, but it is still a bargain.

Old 09-10-18, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not wearing $8 shoes lol
Old 09-10-18, 03:59 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Because you as a consumer who clearly feels strongly about this issue would go out and spend more money on competitors gear to make your point.

Just blacking out the logos and continuing to enjoy the products you like which you already purchased from Nike is just hypocrisy. Yeah you "care" but not enough to spend any more money or to give up products you use and you like. You clearly don't care enough to accrue any cost or put forth any effort or sacrifice.

Looks totally foolish IMHO. I had a buddy show up for lunch today with duct tape on his socks. Just ridiculous. If he actually cared he'd go buy new Adidas socks. He doesn't actually care is the point.
you do what you want and I'll do what I want

as I said, trashing or donating the item does nothing - they already got their money.

blacking out or covering up the logo is MY way of protesting.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-10-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
blacking out or covering up the logo is MY way of protesting.
Just know that there are people out there like me that look at it and find it hypocritical and ridiculous. Simply an empty gesture. If it matters to you, then put forth a little effort to make a point.

Its like saying "I don't want to drive a foreign car anymore, I want to buy American" and thinking you're making some point by covering up your Subaru and Audi emblems. Its just silly.
Old 09-10-18, 06:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Just know that there are people out there like me that look at it and find it hypocritical and ridiculous. Simply an empty gesture. If it matters to you, then put forth a little effort to make a point.

Its like saying "I don't want to drive a foreign car anymore, I want to buy American" and thinking you're making some point by covering up your Subaru and Audi emblems. Its just silly.
nike is on my never buy their shti again list.....burning their crap is useless because they've already got their money IMO.

Old 09-10-18, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

ok you made your point (over and over) now please let it go.
Old 09-11-18, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Ford follows through on its threat to stop importation of the Focus Active, I think one interesting question will be what happens with the competing Cruze hatchback. Even with a currently-depressed market for regular passenger cars, conventional wisdom would have Chevy picking up some of the Focus Active customers, except for one thing....the Cruze hatchback is not built in Lordstown OH along with the Cruze sedan. Cruze Hatchbacks come from Mexico....so it remains to be seen what kind of import-restrictions or tariffs will now affect the hatchbacks. GM could (or could not) decide to cancel the Cruze hatchback in the U.S., though I'm generally with Trump in his views.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/b...us-active.html

Quick Reply: Ford cancels Focus Active import plans due to China tariffs