Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford cancels Focus Active import plans due to China tariffs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 02:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Creating future job growth, the UAW has done nothing to help. Neither are the Trump tariffs. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai have all been successful by building in the southern states where wages are more fair and benefits are not holding them back.
does anyone know how much the tariff on US imports INTO China are? I thought the US is simply trying to level the playing field.

Old 09-05-18, 03:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
does anyone know how much the tariff on US imports INTO China are? I thought the US is simply trying to level the playing field.
I believe China raised it to 40% and reduced EU tariffs to 15% in retaliation to Trump tariffs.
Old 09-05-18, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
UAW contracts make labor more expensive in the US, so the absolutely have a role in causing carmakers to send production overseas.
That wasn't what I was ultimately getting at, though. The problem is not that wages in auto plants are too high here in the U.S....it is that they are too low in a number of countries overseas. Part of that, of course, is beyond our control, but the tariffs have at least some ability to make it more difficult to produce goods overseas and sell them here.
Old 09-05-18, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I thought the US is simply trying to level the playing field.
You are correct.
Old 09-05-18, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That wasn't what I was ultimately getting at, though. The problem is not that wages in auto plants are too high here in the U.S....it is that they are too low in a number of countries overseas. Part of that, of course, is beyond our control, but the tariffs have at least some ability to make it more difficult to produce goods overseas and sell them here.
You just have to understand that’s going to drive up the price of products we buy here, and that’s going to hurt people.
Old 09-05-18, 04:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

You just have to understand that’s going to drive up the price of products we buy here, and that’s going to hurt people.
prices wont go up since tariffs wont be applied... it is just Trump negotiating, and regardless of his style that makes everyone an enemy, with China for instance it already brought some good things for rest of the world... like that tariff drop from 25% to 15% and changes to the JV rules and local 50% ownership.
Old 09-05-18, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If it will help get more people get back to work in American factories, I'm willing to pay a little more...I'm not selfish. Too many people have been hurt, right here at home, BECAUSE jobs have been farmed out overseas. Like Trump has been telling us for the last three years, it's time to put this country first.
Old 09-05-18, 05:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

If it will help get more people get back to work in American factories, I'm willing to pay a little more...I'm not selfish. Too many people have been hurt, right here at home, BECAUSE jobs have been farmed out overseas. Like Trump has been telling us for the last three years, it's time to put this country first.
not everybody has the ability to say "Hey, I'll pay a little more". In fact, most people don't.
Old 09-05-18, 05:48 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

I know it's not what you were getting at, but that's because Steve is right. If the problem is not the UAW contracts/wages, but is in fact wages outside of the US, please explain why manufacturers who are NOT saddled with UAW baggage can easily build a profitable full line of vehicles in the US, while the American manufacturers who DO have UAW contracts can largely only afford to produce high-margin vehicles here. Why are low foreign wages a problem for Ford, but not for Toyota?
Old 09-05-18, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
prices wont go up since tariffs wont be applied... it is just Trump negotiating, and regardless of his style that makes everyone an enemy, with China for instance it already brought some good things for rest of the world... like that tariff drop from 25% to 15% and changes to the JV rules and local 50% ownership.
at least someone here gets the long game.

not everybody has the ability to say "Hey, I'll pay a little more". In fact, most people don't.
Yes most people are just a couple of paychecks from losing their home, car, everything basically. Some of that is self-inflicted, but a lot isn't.
Old 09-06-18, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
please explain why manufacturers who are NOT saddled with UAW baggage can easily build a profitable full line of vehicles in the US, while the American manufacturers who DO have UAW contracts can largely only afford to produce high-margin vehicles here. Why are low foreign wages a problem for Ford, but not for Toyota?

I already have.....in previous posts.
Old 09-06-18, 06:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

I already have.....in previous posts.
You haven't come even remotely close. For reference, here are the only two of your posts from this thread that even mention the issue:

I find it difficult to blame the UAW. For one thing, a number of the plants in the South are not unionized at all.....the workers themselves keep the union out with their vote.
No. UAW contracts are not what makes jobs go overseas. It is that wages and benefits are simply too low in some other countries...in some cases, almost slave labor. The recent tariffs cannot necessarily force other countries to raise the wages, but they CAN make it more expensive for American manufacturers to take advantage of the mistreatment of labor overseas. Trump did exactly the right thing.
Neither comes anywhere near answering the question of why Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, etc can profitably build huge swaths of their US lineup in the states, but Ford can't. Obviously the fact that Ford's average labor rate is $60 an hour, or $125k/year--more than my fully loaded cost (including benefits) for highly-skilled, well-educated network engineers with 20+ years of experience--has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-06-18, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes most people are just a couple of paychecks from losing their home, car, everything basically. Some of that is self-inflicted, but a lot isn't.
What do you mean by "self-inflicted"? Irresponsibility, and wasting money on non-essential things? If so, I can agree with at least part of that.
Old 09-06-18, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
You haven't come even remotely close.
Disagree, but I'm not going to spend all morning arguing about it. I'm moving on.
Old 09-06-18, 07:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Disagree, but I'm not going to spend all morning arguing about it. I'm moving on.
Thanks for confirming you can't or won't support your position. I'll consider the matter closed then.

Quick Reply: Ford cancels Focus Active import plans due to China tariffs