Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Sorry, it’s obnoxious and it’s off topic.

We cant even have a fun hypothetical car conversation in here without this holier than thou preaching. Terrible.
OK...if you must know, for 150K, for a single vehicle, comfort is very important to me......I'd probably choose a Mercedes S550 with the 4Matic and some other packages, and then trade it in when the 4-year warranty is out.
Old 08-22-18, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK...if you must know, for 150K, for a single vehicle, comfort is very important to me......I'd probably choose a Mercedes S550 with the 4Matic and some other packages, and then trade it in when the 4-year warranty is out.
There you go. That’s an appropriate and on topic post. Thank you.
Old 08-22-18, 01:41 PM
Coludplay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
So what would you guys pick or rank for the top car in the hot $150k range market?

a) GTR
b) Porsche
c) 2017 NSX
d) AMG GT
e) Audi R8
f) Anything we missed?
If you could get a 991.2 GT3 at list, that or an R8 RWS would be my choice. GT3 for track days (or posing as someone who likes to track their toy), otherwise R8. Reason is simple - you will be able to get your fill of hybrids or turbocharged sports cars for quite a while longer, but the NA engines in the GT3 or R8 are among the last (and greatest) of their kind. I have a 911 C4S, and am thinking of trading it for an R8. The 911 is a great car, but as one of my friends likes to point out the non-GT cars are what dentists or lawyers drive, and I'm neither.
Old 08-22-18, 01:50 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hmm a used Bentley Continental Super sport.
Old 08-22-18, 01:51 PM
jlo0109
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nissan GTR R34. One that is fully legal in the state (California included). One will set you back about $150k, (if there is one available).
Old 08-22-18, 03:14 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Easily the Porsche 991.2 GT3 if one can be acquired at this price.
I was in Chicago recently visiting family and was visiting a friend's shop and they had a sick Acid Green PTS GT3 with delivery miles and it was an uber rare 6-speed manual. I was super tempted but those suckers even at MSRP are pricey for $196k ~ this dealer wanted $259k so well over sticker and I was like no thanks!

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would probably go with the NSX. I am fascinated by the technology. The AMG GT and R8 would be serious considerations as well.
Yes I've had mine for going on 6 months now and still love it for so many reasons! It could be a daily driver with a decent trunk and extremely comfortable seats. I drove it nearly 20 hours home, try that in any other sports car! Irony is even though it's a hybrid the car is very limited range, I find myself constantly out of gas and having to fill up. Sadly the car won't run in electric mode without gas which sucks.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Aston Martin Vantage would be my choice. Might be better or faster cars out there, but an Aston makes me feel like James Bond.
AM are great cars if you like them and don't mind the reliability factor and horrible depreciation For me I'm just not old enough to drive one although they sure are some sexy cars.
Old 08-22-18, 04:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

NSX, best looking by far, fast as you ever want, should be reliable and painless to own.
Old 08-22-18, 05:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

For a pure sports car with a manual - I would get either the Carrera T or GT3.

GT3 allocations are impossible to get at MSRP - so to me the $150k cap is not realistic for that car.

The AMG GTS would be a good choice if you need more luxury than what 911 can provide.
Old 08-22-18, 06:13 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
me it has to be 911, 7-man. I have already accepted that I will ever own one, which wasn't the case 10 yrs. ago. Even at 150k one is looking for value and dependability...again I read the condition set to be that we are spending $150k. Everything changes if it's that we don't have to spend all 150k...
For me 911 Turbo Cabriolet. Should be close to $150 K

I have driven a AMG GT across L.A. Most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever driven, suspension is HARSH. I assumed someone had left it in sport mode, when i checked I was amazed it was in comfort mode. Truly a track toy only.

GT2 is nice too !
Old 08-22-18, 09:38 PM
gasol1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991.2 911. Porsche underrates the engines and published times, most magazines have the C4 awd with base engine around 3.4 0-60. Suspension is reasonable for a performance car, although I leave mine in normal most of the time. It’s a comfortable enough daily driver and steering feel is just great. Options get expensive and can easily run $20-30k. $125k is all you need to spend to get more performance than most people need. At $150k you go Targa S or Cabriolet with upgraded full leather, rear wheel steering, self steering for LA traffic and front axle lift so you don’t look silly bottoming out pulling in to gas stations.

Minor practical points - you can fold the rear seats to make a ledge and get two sets of golf clubs back there. Outward visibility is very good, even to the rear. Holds its value and pretty reliable as well.

Here is mine...

btw s4play your NSX is beautiful, I’ve never driven one so can offer no comparison. I’ve driven the amg, R8, etc and find them too rough suspension wise for me.

Last edited by gasol1; 08-22-18 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 05:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Agree wholeheartedly with everyone about the 911 GT3...if you could get one for under 150. Otherwise the GTS would be great too! That's why I went for a 718 GTS with GTS interior package...you get that special feeling of those GT Porsche's. If it was going to be my only car though, might have to go with E63 S AMG, M5, or Panamera 4S...which would be a tough choice.
My situation is that with respect to these vehicles, it's very likely going to be someone else's car when I get behind the wheel. I really wish Porsche would redo that event that they had in 2015. It was like fantasy land. Here, drive each of these cars as fast as you can (but do not pass the car in front of you or we will shut the event down, dang!)--Cayman S, Cayman GTS, 911 Carrera S, 911 GTS. Since my wife only took one turn, I got to drive each car 2X, except for the Cayman S. I simply love the scenarios where the instructor is telling you to pick it up--only has happened at BMW and Porsche. They know the vehicles' capabilities, and have a sense of your's after one lap. I cannot forget the experiences behind the wheels of the 911s. It's gotta be some version of the 911 to answer this thread.

The Panamera S and GTS were forgettable for me, the instructor had something to do with it. He didn't say two words, so I said any words of wisdom?

"Always on the gas, or brakes, never coasting. You're coasting, you're losing time." and that was all he said!
Old 08-23-18, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by gasol1

991.2 911. Porsche underrates the engines and published times, most magazines have the C4 awd with base engine around 3.4 0-60. Suspension is reasonable for a performance car, although I leave mine in normal most of the time. It’s a comfortable enough daily driver and steering feel is just great. Options get expensive and can easily run $20-30k. $125k is all you need to spend to get more performance than most people need. At $150k you go Targa S or Cabriolet with upgraded full leather, rear wheel steering, self steering for LA traffic and front axle lift so you don’t look silly bottoming out pulling in to gas stations.

Minor practical points - you can fold the rear seats to make a ledge and get two sets of golf clubs back there. Outward visibility is very good, even to the rear. Holds its value and pretty reliable as well.

Here is mine...

btw s4play your NSX is beautiful, I’ve never driven one so can offer no comparison. I’ve driven the amg, R8, etc and find them too rough suspension wise for me.
c'mon now, how sweet is your car!!?

After I did the event, I told this guy I was working with on a project, he has a 530i, 540i, and M5, all E39's. What I said was if I cannot have a 991, there really isn't any reason to be alive. He goes, in that case, I may as well k*** myself now!! They are inspiring...
Old 08-23-18, 07:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

AMG GT Theres actually a lot of AMG GTS coming off lease that are 90k, used to be 130k
Old 08-23-18, 07:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Unfortunately I don't fit in a lot of high-end sports cars/exotics--I must have been quite the sight trying to get into a BMW i8 last week--so I'd have to go with a more "plebian" Corvette ZR1 convertible. Stickers in the low $140s how I'd configure it, plenty of room and plenty fast.
Old 08-23-18, 07:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Any Aston Martin that checks in at $150k for me. Following closely is AMG GT convertible.

No interest in Porsche at this price point as I'm sure it's the popular option here. Awkwardly it would have to be much more expensive or cheaper for me to get in a Porsche. Lol.

Quick Reply: If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc?