Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT - My Long-Term Ownership Updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 09:50 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Great review. To the Stinger owners reading this, please don’t take offense, that isn’t my intention in asking this: Why is it that Stinger owners on their forums, at car meets, and on Youtube tend to think they have the fastest car around?

Is it that this is the fastest car that a lot of them have owned? At my last Cars and Coffee, I overheard a Stinger owner talking about whooping an M4. On their forum and YouTube they talk about pulling on Hellcats and Corvettes.

And again not trying to come off offensive, just curious. The Stinger is very good looking car and punches above it’s pricepoint.
No offense taken. There will always be overzealous owners who will stretch the truth with any car. Stinger is no exception. I can speak out of actual ownership that a stock Stinger GT AWD can take a stock RC F from a standing start in a short race 4 out of 5 times in real-world city conditions. Rolling start or longer stretch, RC F will beat it.

Originally Posted by andrewwake
Being a Lexus owner for a long time, I've been toying with the idea of trading in for a Stinger GT. My 06 IS350 is getting long in the tooth at 170k miles. The Panthera Metal is a much better color than the Ceramic Grey, but it only comes in GT, not GT1/GT2. Not sure if I'd need the vented seats, HUD, upgraded stereo, or auto tailgate from the GT2 or if I should just go the regular GT route and not worry about those features. How often do you actually use the HUD and auto tailgate? Being you're in Canada, you have different options than the states, so I'm guessing you only have the AWD option?
Yeah, don't know why Kia USA has made that decision to limit the color to a base model GT. In Canada, we only get the AWD GT and the equivalent of a "GT 1.5" or a "GT 2.5" (Limited which is what I have, aka special "Atlantica" edition in the US - Alcantara headliner, heated rear seats, 360 cam, wireless charging...).

I'm enjoying all the loaded tech and features, in particularly HUD since I've owned it in past vehicles and it's a must-have for me. Readout is clear and in your line of site, indicators on speed limits, cars in your blind spots, and more. Now, if I never had it in my past cars, I would skip over it and not make it my deciding factor. Same with the power tailgate and cooled seats. If you love Panthera Metal, I'd go for the looks/color over features you never got accustomed to yet.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Excellent! This is obviously what is possible when someone from BMWs M division moves over to another co. such as Kia. I gotta love the brakes (here is a good place to cheap out when you're not serious) and pretty much everything about the vehicle, except lack of a manual. It's also interesting how that guy from BMW who came over stated that the German car cos. are afraid to take chances now, and hurt their bottom line. Great to see a car co. like Kia, turn out a product like the Stinger!
Agree. Very little compromise performance-wise, and not to mention utility too which is rarely discussed among us enthusiasts. Well, just yesterday in fact I bought a fairly large chest ottoman and initially I thought I needed the RX until I realized I have a hatchback and big cargo Seats folded, no issues. Likely not possible to have done this in any compact sport sedan or mid-size sedan for that matter...

Old 08-31-18, 10:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
No offense taken. There will always be overzealous owners who will stretch the truth with any car. Stinger is no exception. I can speak out of actual ownership that a stock Stinger GT AWD can take a stock RC F from a standing start in a short race 4 out of 5 times in real-world city conditions. Rolling start or longer stretch, RC F will beat it.

Yeah, don't know why Kia USA has made that decision to limit the color to a base model GT. In Canada, we only get the AWD GT and the equivalent of a "GT 1.5" or a "GT 2.5" (Limited which is what I have, aka special "Atlantica" edition in the US - Alcantara headliner, heated rear seats, 360 cam, wireless charging...).

I'm enjoying all the loaded tech and features, in particularly HUD since I've owned it in past vehicles and it's a must-have for me. Readout is clear and in your line of site, indicators on speed limits, cars in your blind spots, and more. Now, if I never had it in my past cars, I would skip over it and not make it my deciding factor. Same with the power tailgate and cooled seats. If you love Panthera Metal, I'd go for the looks/color over features you never got accustomed to yet.

Agree. Very little compromise performance-wise, and not to mention utility too which is rarely discussed among us enthusiasts. Well, just yesterday in fact I bought a fairly large chest ottoman and initially I thought I needed the RX until I realized I have a hatchback and big cargo Seats folded, no issues. Likely not possible to have done this in any compact sport sedan or mid-size sedan for that matter...

haha a nice test would be a 62 qt. cooler. I bought a nice one at Costco for $39.99, and when I got out to the LS430, I said uh oh. Its trunk usually swallows most reasonable items, but the only place it could fit was the front seat! When I got it home, my wife said it's going back to Costco. But I told her I think it's a great deal, amazon sells a 40 something quart cooler for the same price. She tried it in her SUV the following weekend, and said nope, it's going back, it just takes up way too much room, especially for our needs. If the Stinger swallows such a cooler up, I would be really really impressed!! (hard to say it might just fit?)
Old 08-31-18, 11:42 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hoping the 2019 US model will come with the Alcantara, heated rear, 360 cam, etc. I slightly understand keeping the entry point low to get people on board with the car, but without those features, it's also keeping some people away.
Old 08-31-18, 08:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm hoping the 2019 US model will come with the Alcantara, heated rear, 360 cam, etc. I slightly understand keeping the entry point low to get people on board with the car, but without those features, it's also keeping some people away.
2019 models will come with those missing features on the GT2. Cooled seats and driver assistance will be added to the lower trim levels. Expect slight up tick in price for GT2.

I was in the same boat and was trying to hold out for the 2019, but the current deals are good and felt like the missing features weren't worth the wait to me. From what's been posted in the forums, they should be at dealers soon!

Edit: Panthera Metal will be available on all GT trims for 2019, but with black interior only.

Last edited by GFerg; 08-31-18 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 09:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I've seen a bunch of stingers around here lately... red, gray, white, blue, black... all look awesome.
Old 08-31-18, 09:50 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
2019 models will come with those missing features on the GT2. Cooled seats and driver assistance will be added to the lower trim levels. Expect slight up tick in price for GT2.

I was in the same boat and was trying to hold out for the 2019, but the current deals are good and felt like the missing features weren't worth the wait to me. From what's been posted in the forums, they should be at dealers soon!

Edit: Panthera Metal will be available on all GT trims for 2019, but with black interior only.
I haven't been too heavy in the Stinger forums, so that's good to know. The dealership near me was trying to get me into a GT2, but they were trying to quote me near $900/month for a lease when on the KIA website it's much lower. I feel like they were trying to screw me over. Anyways, I'll wait for some of the better features to come out to see if I really want them, and if not I'll be getting a 2018 on the cheap.
Old 09-01-18, 04:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice review and updates, your car looks great love the wheel setup.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I've seen a bunch of stingers around here lately... red, gray, white, blue, black... all look awesome.
Same here in the DC area almost daily I will say I'm quite surprised at how many I'm seeing.
Old 09-01-18, 04:51 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I haven't been too heavy in the Stinger forums, so that's good to know. The dealership near me was trying to get me into a GT2, but they were trying to quote me near $900/month for a lease when on the KIA website it's much lower. I feel like they were trying to screw me over. Anyways, I'll wait for some of the better features to come out to see if I really want them, and if not I'll be getting a 2018 on the cheap.
Lol!!!!! That dealership will be holding on to that car for awhile. Not even in the same ballpark for what I and most others are getting GT2's for. That's ridiculous. When the 2019's come in try another dealership.
Old 09-01-18, 11:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

How much are current "deals"? I find Stingers to lease terrible vs. other luxury marques.
Old 09-02-18, 05:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha a nice test would be a 62 qt. cooler. I bought a nice one at Costco for $39.99, and when I got out to the LS430, I said uh oh. Its trunk usually swallows most reasonable items, but the only place it could fit was the front seat! When I got it home, my wife said it's going back to Costco. But I told her I think it's a great deal, amazon sells a 40 something quart cooler for the same price. She tried it in her SUV the following weekend, and said nope, it's going back, it just takes up way too much room, especially for our needs. If the Stinger swallows such a cooler up, I would be really really impressed!! (hard to say it might just fit?)

Problem with sedans today is not the cargo capacity but the small opening. But this is the beauty of a liftback rear. 50 qt cooler and no problem. Two would fit too. 62 qt cooler, bring it!

\

Old 09-02-18, 12:46 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
How much are current "deals"? I find Stingers to lease terrible vs. other luxury marques.
According to the Kia website, a RWD GT2 lease is $599/mo for 36 months with $2000 down and 12000 miles/year. This assumes that the car is priced at full sticker price so any discount on price would reduce the lease payments from this. I was quoted $815/mo with $2000 down for an Audi S5 Sportback. Seems like the Stinger leases pretty well in comparison.
Old 09-02-18, 02:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by ST430
Originally Posted by oldcajun
According to the Kia website, a RWD GT2 lease is $599/mo for 36 months with $2000 down and 12000 miles/year. This assumes that the car is priced at full sticker price so any discount on price would reduce the lease payments from this. I was quoted $815/mo with $2000 down for an Audi S5 Sportback. Seems like the Stinger leases pretty well in comparison.
Without putting all my info out there, my monthly on a GT2 AWD was slightly lower with 1k down and 15,000 miles. Won't get Infiniti low, but much lower than the Audi S5 Sportback and slightly lower compared to a 440i xDrive.

Kia's website actually takes into account the current lease cash offers, but most definitely can negotiate lower than what is displayed.

Last edited by GFerg; 09-02-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 06:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default One Year Ownership Update

Just crossed the 1 year ownership mark, 15k km, and here's an update to the first post above.

CONS:
1. The two unscheduled visits were completed to address the premature seat bolster wear and erratic FM radio volume. Both fixed under warranty. Seatback leather was replaced (pic below). Radio head unit was replaced ($4K !).
2. Rear hatch rattle is slowly returning over larger road imperfections. I will wait for spring/summer to see if it is temperature-related now that we're in winter (I suspect cold contraction of the bump stops creating space possibly causing the rattle).
3. Fuel economy averaging 13L/100km mixed driving (18 mpg) during the winter season, but it's expected and like the IS AWD was.
4. Next unscheduled visit: to address a recall on the risk of an engine fire from a possible exposed wire near the wheel well/engine bay.

PROS:
1. With the exception of the rear hatch rattle, car still feels solid from the door closures to the refined suspension damping.
2. Car still turns heads, people and feels smooth and powerful with a nice exhaust growl.
3. Car has been used for more practical errands than expected, helping haul Ikea purchases and the like.
4. Still enjoying all the tech, including Android Auto/Waze integration for a smoother commute to work.
5. Good traction on snow, despite the performance all seasons (Pilot Sport A/S S3+)
6. Despite all the visits to my Kia dealership, I have to admit, besides the lack of facility creature comforts/perks of a luxury dealership, I'm treated with the utmost respect and care and have nothing bad to say on the experience so far.

Overall, although I'm probably out of the honeymoon phase, I still really like the car as it blends performance, style, tech, and practicality at a reasonable price. Keeper definitely in the short term.

Winter....

Seat repaired like new.

Old 01-19-19, 06:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just crossed the 1 year ownership mark, 15k km, and here's an update to the first post above.

CONS:
1. The two unscheduled visits were completed to address the premature seat bolster wear and erratic FM radio volume. Both fixed under warranty. Seatback leather was replaced (pic below). Radio head unit was replaced ($4K !).
2. Rear hatch rattle is slowly returning over larger road imperfections. I will wait for spring/summer to see if it is temperature-related now that we're in winter (I suspect cold contraction of the bump stops creating space possibly causing the rattle).
3. Fuel economy averaging 13L/100km mixed driving (18 mpg) during the winter season, but it's expected and like the IS AWD was.
4. Next unscheduled visit: to address a recall on the risk of an engine fire from a possible exposed wire near the wheel well/engine bay.

Winter....

Seat repaired like new.
Great honest comments. The above is why I am 100% skeptical on KIA or Hyundai's in the long term. For one year, the above issues do not seem promising long term. What might happen in the 8th, 10th year for long term owners like myself and my family.
Old 01-19-19, 07:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Great honest comments. The above is why I am 100% skeptical on KIA or Hyundai's in the long term. For one year, the above issues do not seem promising long term. What might happen in the 8th, 10th year for long term owners like myself and my family.
Thanks Jill. I would tend to agree with you. I would not "trust" this car long-term, but still more than a BMW or Audi.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT - My Long-Term Ownership Updates