Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Old 07-20-18, 06:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hmm I'm definitely not intimidate because I have own 3. I really don't see the car as a status symbol. I actually receive more attention when I own a Maserati.
In the DC area they are dime or dozen.
Old 07-20-18, 07:58 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
hmm I'm definitely not intimidate because I have own 3. I really don't see the car as a status symbol. I actually receive more attention when I own a Maserati.
I was going to say the same, if it was an exotic sports car maybe, but S class, they depreciate so much in the first few years that it really becomes obtainable for most with the body styles lasting 7 years or so, you can get a 2014 for a good price, so I think times have changed then maybe the 80s and 90s when most people paid cash or a majority up front.

I say you buy what you like and dont put to much stock into what others will think. My childhood friends dream car was an S500....when we approached our 30s, he realized he would probably have to wait another 5 or 8 years to comfortably afford a new one, so he jumped on his dream car and bought a 2015. Status didnt matter much to him, he just loved the big body design and it's always been his passion.
Old 07-20-18, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I'm not worried about what people on the street think of it, like you said they're a dime a dozen and even if they weren't, I don't care.

My situation is a little bit different than that of just any ordinary buyer as my vehicle is a business tool. I'm in real estate sales & management. I don't work in the luxury market either, my business is largely $300-$800k houses, and my clients by and large have less income than I do. Theres an old saying, people want to do business with people who are successful, but not who are a lot more successful than they are. If I'm driving an S Class and my clients are driving Hondas, theres a disconnect there. Theres still a disconnect with the LS obviously but its not nearly as ostentatious, and being a car person who spends a lot of time in my car and get a lot of enjoyment out of my car there are limits to how much I'm going to let my concern over this dictate what I drive.

If I sold 7 figure houses all day long I wouldn't worry about driving an S Class at all.

This is a common concern with salespeople. My Dad for instance was in the commercial printing paper business and he did a lot of business with unions, supplying paper for their annual reports, etc. He resisted getting an LS400 for 8 years because he was concerned with how those customers would react to him driving a foreign made car. Even when he had it, when he would meet them for golf or something he would drive our Explorer instead of the LS. He also never moved on from the LS to an S Class because he was concerned it would make it look like he made a lot of money to his customers.

Thats the great thing about the LS though, people never look at it and raise their eyebrows. We saw this first hand when my partner had a C Class Mercedes and traded it on a GS, people used to make snide comments to him all the time about the C Class, but nobody ever said anything about the GS, despite it being more expensive.
Old 07-20-18, 08:31 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Back in Asia, Taiwan specifically, owning a MBZ (usually black S-class has this designation) typically means you're involved or directly affiliated with one of the local mafias. It is highly unlikely that people will openly attack you thinking that you're a rival member, but I don't think you buy this expensive car and want to have to live with being targeted like that.

Other than that, I have ZERO quirks about owning a S-class if I can afford it...
Old 07-20-18, 08:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Status symbol? Cars are not such anymore, they can be leased. Pretty sure anybody here could lease a car for $3500/mo. if they decided they really wanted to, but without the rest of the lifestyle, if anything, they'd have less status than the guy with a Camry and 2 kids in an Ivy League school.
Old 07-20-18, 08:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
IMO the S-class kind of says "I own the company" A large, successful company. I don't work for the man, I am the man.

I can see why people who can afford one might not want to project that image. Same thing back in the day, lots of well off people could afford a Cadillac but drove an Olds 98 or Buick.

Still I don't think driving an S-class is gauche, vulgar or in bad taste. That title belongs to people rolling around in late model Bentleys or Rolls Royce. I know a Ferrari or Lambo costs about the same, but those are more enthusiast cars, they are a ton of fun to drive. Rolls or Bentley are more sort of **** you I just wasted $300,000 on this piece of junk status symbol.
lol my bro's friend who has a S550 co. car works for one of the insurance cos that got bailed out during the recession (the one where Congress was going to pass legislation for them to return the phat bonuses they got after being bailed out). He most certainly works for the man, and if he lost his job, he wouldn't be in the S550. Thing is, he does make and break little worms like me every day.
Old 07-20-18, 09:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Right...and in lots of cases they're the ones who have the car taken from them. Because they actually couldn't afford it. IMO you are judging a book by the cover because you're only concerned with actions and you'll be wrong exponentially more times than you're right because most people make horrendous financial decisions with material things. Again- Warren Buffett could live in the most expensive house in the world. He chooses not to (his house is valued at $700k). Using your logic, there's no explanation for that. A person in a $1 million house would appear wealthier to you than Buffett because they bought the more expensive house.

Hoping we can stay on topic with the original question.
Look at northern NJ where the typical cookie cutter mcmansion is 1.6 mil with a 30k property tax (actually I was shocked to find TX houses may cost less, but the tax is the same). The cars are usually what we would consider to be ordinary, like Accords and Camrys. Cars in no way reflect a person's financial well-being today, because there is leasing. If we stick to the old pay only cash for your car and it should only be 10% of your net income, the S class should be very intimidating for almost everyone. In reality, even with leasing, how many people out of the general population could feel comfortable with the lease payment? Given our savings rates, imho what has changed is many are living with the "can't take it with you" and "my kids are on their own" mantras. Our parents believed in maximizing what they give to heirs and charity when they are gone. I honestly don't think we are doing the same.
Old 07-20-18, 09:12 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The S Class is a model with a tremendous reputation for both quality & price.
Generally must be well off to lease or own one.
People on a low or average income cannot "comfortably" lease/own S Class.

Some people buy cars for themselves, though many buy to impress others.

I haven't bought the S Class due to avoiding: personal loose fit for my 5'10" frame, bulky maneuverability, handling, reliability, and of course - my clients perception that I'm ripping them off.
Old 07-20-18, 09:38 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would echo steve's comment. I had an architect come to evaluate for a whole house remodel on my 3rd house. He came in a M6. I got to my house in my wife's toyota sienna. We both thought his commission/ pay is on the high side... Maybe we are prejudiced on the spot when he arrives...

On the other hand, i did briefly considered an S class but ended up in an LS. Main reason was i am not handy at all and reliability is paramount for me. I also considered the obnoxious factor.. but that was just what i felt..
Old 07-20-18, 09:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
remember my bro's friend's older brother gets a S550 co. car, and he calls it a piece of garbage. What could elicit such an opinion when you don't even pay for such a fine car? Being stranded multiple times, really. Nothing else, it's beautiful.

Our boss' dad got one when they first came out (this was Jan '14) and the car was doa, and it had to go back with under 100 miles.

I'm resolved to get one, not the latest but the W221. I just need to best understand what I can DIY, and sort of have some knowledge. I love the price used. Like a heater problem that is common, not a big deal, $80 with a OE part, less online.

I just saw the video of the new A8L (Doug D). It shows you how Japanese are always an entire generation behind, the LS500 can't even come close. But reliability is the price to be paid...
I am glad Lexus and other makers have taken some mercy on owners and still fitted them with some physical buttons and not put just about every single function in some awful touchscreen like the new A8 and Panamera. Demuro has also criticized cars that have everything, especially seat heaters touchscreen. I used to love the A8, it was my favorite flagship but the new one does absolutely nothing for me, looks plain and dull inside and out, gives the feel of just a big Passat.

The S class is my favorite flagship now, I would have no problem owning the current one if it was reliable and not too expensive with upkeep but I doubt that would be the case. I never really cared much for previous S classes, they were nice but there were other big sedans I liked as much or more, the new though is very nice both inside and out.

I have never bought a car to impress anyone but myself, I am only interested in what I like and what fits my wants, I just don't care what others think so whether it is a S class, G90, old or new NSX, used Supra turbo, Bentley Conti GT, used LS/GS, old 8 series coupe, Infiniti cars, used CL65, etc I am just interested in cars I like and of course can afford/afford to own.

Last edited by UDel; 07-20-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 09:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Back in Asia, Taiwan specifically, owning a MBZ (usually black S-class has this designation) typically means you're involved or directly affiliated with one of the local mafias. It is highly unlikely that people will openly attack you thinking that you're a rival member, but I don't think you buy this expensive car and want to have to live with being targeted like that.

Other than that, I have ZERO quirks about owning a S-class if I can afford it...
in Hong Kong, black on black S class = airport taxi`s, Cost you about US$100 and should take you to any hotel in the city.
As you exit the airport terminal, you can usually find about half a dozen of them waiting outside,
​​​​​​​
In Europe, where the most commonly seen Mercedes taxi is the E class, don't be surprised if you randomly call a taxi and a S class shows up, happened to me before ( and the BMW 7 also ) .

I don't really see the S class, especially the sedan, as that ostentatious, of course, that depends on the city to some extent.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-20-18 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 09:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I am glad Lexus and other makers have taken some mercy on owners and still fitted them with some physical buttons and not put just about every single function in some awful touchscreen like the new A8 and Panamera. Demuro has also criticized cars that have everything, especially seat heaters touchscreen. I used to love the A8, it was my favorite flagship but the new one does absolutely nothing for me, looks plain and dull inside and out, gives the feel of just a big Passat.

The S class is my favorite flagship now, I would have no problem owning the current one if it was reliable and not too expensive with upkeep but I doubt that would be the case. I never really cared much for previous S classes, they were nice but there were other big sedans I liked as much or more, the new though is very nice both inside and out.

I have never bought a car to impress anyone but myself, I am only interested in what I like and what fits my wants, I just don't care what others think so whether it is a S class, G90, old or new NSX, used Supra turbo, Bentley Conti GT, used LS/GS, old 8 series coupe, Infiniti cars, used CL65, etc I am just interested in cars I like and of course can afford/afford to own.
This is exactly why I would be happy with a '12 S550, I don't need it to be a 2019 or even a 2017. The main issue is to be realistic on what it might need for ongoing repairs, and to be prepared to tackle as much as possible on my own, then line up an indie who will install FCP Euro parts. The one I know is not reasonable, I sent my friend there and he charged her like $550 for Passat front brakes, when the dealer was like $590. At least the dealer gives you a loaner...

But I have to admit that A8L is impressive except for the V6, that's not adequate imho...need the 8 cyl
Old 07-20-18, 09:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

In NY - Sclass is very common and nothing special.
Even Bentleys are everywhere now especially the new SUV.

Rolls Royce is the only cars that really will make you notice.

Most realtors that have shown me houses drive Sclass, 7series, Porsche Cayenne, or Range Rover.
This is in Long Island....

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-20-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 10:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I think the S class is hands-down the best looking large sedan and if I put reliability concerns aside (meaning I bought new or bought CPO with great coverage), I'm still not sure I would pull the trigger on it and I can't put my finger on exactly why.
Old 07-20-18, 10:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
In NY - Sclass is very common and nothing special.
Even Bentleys are everywhere now especially the new SUV.

Rolls Royce is the only cars that really will make you notice.

Most realtors that have shown me houses drive Sclass, 7series, Porsche Cayenne, or Range Rover.
This is in Long Island....
imho when one is in sales, one has to have an appearance. If I wanted to get your even 1 mil. portfolio, and I show up at your house in a 2006 LS430, you'd think either this guy ain't cutting it, or he's a penny pincher who doesn't care what anyone thinks. But either way, lemme find somebody else. Then, the next guy pulls in with a 2017 A8L, and you think, I don't know if I trust this guy, but at least he plays the part and I'll give him a chance. Let's be honest, when a vendor takes us out to the Capital Grille, it isn't as if we didn't notice what he/she drives. This high net worth team came in to get my buddy and his wife's portfolio (it's not even a mil so it's one of the two bread and butter largest mutual fund cos in the USA), and one girl pulls in with a Dodge Neon. We joked and I said c'mon dude let her cut her teeth on you guys, it's not like you even have a mil. I pulled her FINRA for him and she declared bankruptcy only 2 yrs. ago. Needless to say he didn't go with her. Appearances do matter, in many cases. I'm not in sales so if anything, I'm ok driving the 1998 Maxima with rust to work. But my wife says it's career limiting lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?