Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rented a 2018 Nissan Maxima for the day, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 06:51 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to the world of electric power steering. In exchange for much simpler design, no hydraulic fluid, no leaks, less drag on the engine, better fuel mileage (marginally), and no periodic service or replacements to speak of, the flip side is a major loss of steering feel, particularly with BMWs.
Some of us are old enough (and I am not as old as you, Mike) to remember when hydraulic power steering was (relatively) new and had much the same issues that we now complain about regarding electric power steering, namely being over-boosted (could turn the steering with a weak pinky finger, wandering on the highways) and lack of road-feel. Yet, the automakers and auto-suppliers were able to continually improve and refine the hydraulic power steering systems. The same will happen with electric power steering systems.

Give it time.
Old 07-19-18, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I am still partial to BMW as they do offer more enthusiast options than other manufacturers, but I hope to move onto the likes of Porsche as they still seem to be focused on engineering drivers' cars.
You all also find Porsches, on average, to be more reliable and better-built than BMWs, though parts, service, and repairs on them can cost an arm and a leg if they are not free or under warranty. Porsche is notorious for empty-your-wallet service.
Old 07-19-18, 06:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
your cars are old and all hydraulic.
You have a way with words. At least at work I've got a decent shot at the Executive aisle this year since business is good. Then I try to choose the cars that are brand spanking new, like the Rogue with 7 miles.

(for real, if I get Executive status, how long would it last before it goes back to regular, assuming next year I won't be renting at the Executive level numbers, anyone know?)
Old 07-19-18, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Some of us are old enough (and I am not as old as you, Mike) to remember when hydraulic power steering was (relatively) new and had much the same issues that we now complain about regarding electric power steering, namely being over-boosted (could turn the steering with a weak pinky finger, wandering on the highways) and lack of road-feel. Yet, the automakers and auto-suppliers were able to continually improve and refine the hydraulic power steering systems. The same will happen with electric power steering systems.

Give it time.

Definitely. No question about it. Yes, I well-remember the big luxury cars of the early 1960s and their fingertip-sensitive steering and brake pedals. The first time I tried to drive a (used) 1962 Cadillac and 1964 Chrysler, the vacuum-brake pedals were so sensitive at low speeds that the car would suddenly lurch to a stop at the slightest pressure. And you could park while using one finger on the spokes of the steering wheel. At the time, only the big Fords and their power-front-disc brake option got the pedals right.

The opposite side of the coin, of course, was the non-power drum brakes, on the little 13" wheels, with rapid heat build-up and brake pedals that excessive faded after just a couple of pushes. They could be a real handful in the mountains....you very quickly learned to downshift and come down a long mountain grade in second gear, at a low speed (transmissions usually had three speeds...sometimes two)

Give it time.
Even now, I've already stated that I consider electric steering to be better for most day-to-day driving. The many advantages, IMO, outweigh the few disadvantages. My favorite is that one does not have to worry about any more hydraulic leaks or flushing out the pump and fluid over time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-18 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 06:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu

Give it time.
I'm old enough to remember CDs. The majority here at work look at me as if I have 3 heads when I say I just got a new CD. Heck 2 of my cars have cassette players (1998 and 2006).

What I cannot relate to, however, is the notion that CDs go up in value, and they sell out. I bought 2 on eBay never opened, for around $55-$60, earlier this year. The face value when sold was about $28. Now, they are trending at $123. I have to admit that is odd to me.
Old 07-19-18, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You have a way with words. At least at work I've got a decent shot at the Executive aisle this year since business is good. Then I try to choose the cars that are brand spanking new, like the Rogue with 7 miles.

(for real, if I get Executive status, how long would it last before it goes back to regular, assuming next year I won't be renting at the Executive level numbers, anyone know?)
Which car rental company is it? My guess its for the remainder of the calendar year.

I don't rent a lot of cars since I don't travel for work, but I belong to all the executive/such clubs through my platinum AMEX.
Old 07-19-18, 07:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Which car rental company is it? My guess its for the remainder of the calendar year.

I don't rent a lot of cars since I don't travel for work, but I belong to all the executive/such clubs through my platinum AMEX.
National...it goes more by # of contracts, as opposed to days...so if you rent for a week, it only counts as 1. (I suppose if you rented and returned 7 days in a row, it would be 7??)

I don't know what is needed just that I get teaser emails saying I am getting closer...ah...that elusive Executive aisle! lol
Old 07-19-18, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No clue...I've never rented enough to pay attention to any of that. I have a friend who travels a lot for work and he knows how all of those clubs and all work.
Old 07-19-18, 07:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm old enough to remember CDs. The majority here at work look at me as if I have 3 heads when I say I just got a new CD. Heck 2 of my cars have cassette players (1998 and 2006).

What I cannot relate to, however, is the notion that CDs go up in value, and they sell out. I bought 2 on eBay never opened, for around $55-$60, earlier this year. The face value when sold was about $28. Now, they are trending at $123. I have to admit that is odd to me.
i find it interesting that CD's still sell over 25% of revenue in the USA.... about similar to downloaded music (but not streaming).
Old 07-19-18, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Where do people even buy CDs?!?
Old 07-19-18, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just donated an old batch of them myself a few weeks ago.
Old 07-19-18, 07:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,805 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Probably? I bought my wife a couple of CDs a while back. She likes to collect them for her favorite artists.
Old 07-19-18, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You would think the segment of the population who buys CDs aren't the same segment of the population who uses Amazon...
Old 07-19-18, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One reason I don't listen to CDs any more (and donated most of the ones I had) is that they are usually available on Youtube. I just listen to them on the computer now.
Old 07-19-18, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really only ever listen to music in the car

Quick Reply: Rented a 2018 Nissan Maxima for the day, my thoughts