Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer with their price on auto - no negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
depends on who the 'you' is - not everyone does it like you do. and yes i know you say it doesn't take you long, just a few emails etc., but i've never been able to get anywhere trying that approach. not a SINGLE dealer has ever given me anything but basically an msrp quote via email. but hey, i'm gonna hire you next time to do my deal.
All kidding aside I will do that for you, I've done it for lots of people. Just did it for my sister in law in NJ.
Old 07-12-18, 10:40 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

way back, i also negotiated my price with the dealerships' internet sales depts by email.

I don't ask them for their price. I name my price and shop it around until someone bites.
Old 07-12-18, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The key is to make sure that you're emailing through their internet department.
Old 07-12-18, 11:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I believe that no car dealer can ever pay you more for your car than the distributor, and I also believe that any dealer, can sell you any car, for the same that another quoted you. What prevents the latter from happening, is ego, and willingness. There is obviously a point at which you are asked to leave. This happens with cars, it happens with diamonds. It isn't that they can't sell at this price, they won't. I like finding that point.

Not by email, but by phone, I feel I got close to the lowest price on a BMW 335i coupe in 10/06. There were zero available nationwide, with forum folks paying list. One guy said he got $1400 off, so I pm'd him. He named the dealership and it was in JC, NJ. I started calling around northern NJ and NYC, and BMW Manhattan was willing to do $1,800 off, "but you'll have to wait for a few months, I have no allocations available right now." I literally said is this legit? The CA said of course this is legit, I just have no allocation to sell right now, and maybe not next month either. Manhattan is a corp store so I could be way off, but I thought maybe they would be truthful, unlike JC or BK.

Not having an Oct. nor potentially a Nov. allocation, well, I left his part out when I called the dealership 3.5 miles from me. So, I got an allocation in Oct. for the Manhattan price. Now they tried to slam me after signing the paperwork for Training and MACO fees, but I said I wouldn't be paying it, and I didn't. 9 weeks later, I got the car.

Forums are good barometers too, but understand there is puffing as well. But some people are truthful. It's like height and salary for a guy.
Old 07-12-18, 05:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You also have to look at it sometimes from their point of view. For a pretty fair number of people, a little more money for a LOT less hassle is, to them, a good deal....and, in many cases, I can't say that I disagree. Not only that, but with some people, time IS money.
Yes--that's why these dealers are willing to go to no-haggle. They think this policy will make them more money, and not drive customers away in droves. We all sometimes forget on these forums that most people don't view cars, and the car buying process, the same way most of us here do.
Old 07-12-18, 05:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
depends on who the 'you' is - not everyone does it like you do. and yes i know you say it doesn't take you long, just a few emails etc., but i've never been able to get anywhere trying that approach. not a SINGLE dealer has ever given me anything but basically an msrp quote via email. but hey, i'm gonna hire you next time to do my deal.
When I bought my Lexus IS in '07, the dealer I purchased from gave me my best quote of 6-7 quotes, in their first email. And then I still got them down from that.

And when I bought my wife's Mazda, I dealt with 10 different Mazda dealers and 8-10 Toyota dealers (before I decided on Mazda), and most, if not all, of those dealers were less, or much less, than MSRP in their opening email offers.

Now--that doesn't mean that there's bait and switch, because the Mazda dealer closest to me, where I took a test drive and met face to face with the salesman, had their price increase by $1000 when I was ready to pull the trigger ("Oh, THAT price didn't include ......" even though I sat there and was very specific on the options I wanted).

Try it--it depends on the dealer.
Old 07-12-18, 05:50 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
had their price increase by $1000 when I was ready to pull the trigger ("Oh, THAT price didn't include ......" even though I sat there and was very specific on the options I wanted).
in that case i would immediately turn around and walk out saying nothing. It's almost always a buyer's market.