Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mother survives car crash that killed husband, 4 daughters

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey140
The cabin of Sienna seems to have held up well. It seems the driver side (dad's side) took the brunt of the impact of the crash
seriously? it's destroyed.
Old 07-09-18, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

This is one big reason why I like leasing cars.

By the look of it this was an older Sienna, 90s Sienna. You have to ask yourself, if that was a modern van that was designed for small offset crash protection, would it have made a difference? Just maybe?

Obviously everybody has different financial situations and abilities, but theres something to be said about your family always being in a vehicle with the latest safety features.
Old 07-09-18, 01:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

heavier and higher vehicle, barring rollover, usually wins in a collision. Thats why in school bus vs car accidents, nearly all the deaths are on the car side over 90%

Originally Posted by SW17LS

By the look of it this was an older Sienna, 90s Sienna. You have to ask yourself, if that was a modern van that was designed for small offset crash protection, would it have made a difference? Just maybe?

Obviously everybody has different financial situations and abilities, but theres something to be said about your family always being in a vehicle with the latest safety features.
doesn't matter when crash testing assumes passengers are buckled up. If this van rolled, its even worse when youre not buckled up.
Old 07-09-18, 01:24 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I had a friend "eric" something very similar happened, his wife and kids were on there way home then some piece of **** was driving drunk going the wrong way hit them head on and killed his wife, son and daughter. The drunk driver got 6 months probation and had to take classes. So eric spent an entire year finding the guy and stabbed him to death. He spent 18 years in prison just recently got out.
he did it wrong, he should have went Law Abiding Citizen on that drunk, would have been more satisfying.
Old 07-09-18, 01:45 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seriously? it's destroyed.
Not really. They cut the roof to get them but most of the van is fine.

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post

Even in a modern car with airbags, they would still most likely have been killed due to the deceleration and being thrown around in the van. It doesn't seem like any of the 4 victims were ejected from the van either. Now, you may be correct, the father may have survived with major injuries due to the offset crash protection but I don't see the girls surviving this at all.
Old 07-09-18, 01:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Such a sad situation.....

Having modern cars definitely helps.

I would much rather take my chances in new Sclass or other mid to full sized luxury car.
Another area where RWD chassis is superior in terms of engineering to withstand impact.

I’m looking to get rid of our 2017 Legacy asap for something more substantial, RWD based, and superior engineering.
New X5 is high on the list.
Old 07-09-18, 02:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

virtue-signalling much? but i hear ya.

By the look of it this was an older Sienna, 90s Sienna.
good guess, '98 sienna.

You have to ask yourself, if that was a modern van that was designed for small offset crash protection, would it have made a difference? Just maybe?
doubtful as the girls were tragically not wearing seat belts - something i suspect will haunt the mother forever.

yes and not only that, the older vehicle will likely handle more poorly, potentially have worn tires, sloppier steering, and on and on.
Old 07-09-18, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corey140
Not really. They cut the roof to get them but most of the van is fine.
agree about the roof but 100% disagree that "most of the van is fine" it was clearly and utterly totaled. but regardless, there's a reason you WANT the vehicle to compress and be destroyed to take the forces so they're not transferred to the occupants. that's how modern safety works. people still have this idea that 'old' cars were safer... maybe the CAR didn't sustain much damage because it was a giant iron battering ram, but the occupants sure did.

Old 07-09-18, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not just about airbags, its about the structure of the car, its ability to dissipate crash forces, etc. It may totally be that sometimes an accident is so severe there is no surviving it, but you just never know.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
virtue-signalling much?
Was not at all my intention.
Old 07-09-18, 03:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and none of that matters if you arent seat belted crashing into a truck at 70-80 mph. The entire safety of the car is built around everyone being properly restrained. All 4 daughters were not seatbelted.
Old 07-09-18, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

We've had a lot of talk recently in Car Chat about 85th-percenitile speeds, traffic-flow, what is a safe speed, what isn't, and if one should follow posted limits or not. Severe accidents like this, however, prove one point I made about the law of physics......all else equal, the faster one goes, the more severe a potential impact will be, and the more likely one will be injured or killed.
Old 07-09-18, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We've had a lot of talk recently in Car Chat about 85th-percenitile speeds, traffic-flow, what is a safe speed, what isn't, and if one should follow posted limits or not. Severe accidents like this, however, prove one point I made about the law of physics......all else equal, the faster one goes, the more severe a potential impact will be, and the more likely one will be injured or killed.
Oh please. This has nothing to do with speed limits, the guy crossed the median and hit them head on going the wrong way.
Old 07-09-18, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh please. This has nothing to do with speed limits, the guy crossed the median and hit them head on going the wrong way.
Doesn't change the fact that the faster one goes, the more potential energy is involved in an impact. That applies no matter what direction one is traveling. I agree, however, that the issue is not the posted limit, but how fast one is actually going....that is will determine the impact.

I noted your earlier comment about being glad you always have the newest, leased vehicles. I agree from a point of view of the actual safety equipment in the vehicle.....but the seat belt/harness is still considered the primary restraining device, with air bags secondary. For whatever reason, the girls weren't buckled up (maybe we'll never know why, if the poor mother succumbs to her injuries, though she is apparently still alive).

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 04:08 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Exactly even if they were both going 55mph it still would be bad since it was a head on from opposite direction just based on the laws of physics. His vehicle weighed significantly more too so even at 55mph the force would be worse from his side.
Old 07-09-18, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Exactly even if they were both going 55mph it still would be bad since it was a head on from opposite direction just based on the laws of physics. His vehicle weighed significantly more too so even at 55mph the force would be worse from his side.

True.....in general, all else equal, more weight means more impact. As far as 55 goes, unless I just missed it in the article, we don't know what the posted limit is on that stretch of road.

Quick Reply: Mother survives car crash that killed husband, 4 daughters