Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Mercedes-Benz S-Class spied inside and out

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 12:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default New Mercedes-Benz S-Class spied inside and out

Source
Old 07-05-18, 03:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

inside spy shot pretty worthless.
Old 07-05-18, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ I dunno, I see a tablet style for the gauges, and 4 center vents that are placed very high up vs the current 2019 S560

Old 07-05-18, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

or it's a tablet so they have any gauges and the vents are up high so they can cover everything else and not suffocate in the heat. looks like a very very early crude interior.
Old 07-05-18, 09:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well whatever they do, im sure its going to be gorgeous
Old 07-05-18, 09:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Merc has got to be making the boxiest, old-fashioned, ugliest dashboards I've seen in decades. Looks like it's about to get even worse.
Old 07-06-18, 02:09 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

those stupid tablets gotta go.

they look so un-integrated.
Old 07-06-18, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Its not a real interior guys lol
Old 07-26-18, 11:25 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Merc has got to be making the boxiest, old-fashioned, ugliest dashboards I've seen in decades. Looks like it's about to get even worse.
I hope that is sarcasm. Most auto reviewers and most on this forum would agree that the S class has the nicest interior in the category.
Old 07-26-18, 01:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

I hope that is sarcasm. Most auto reviewers and most on this forum would agree that the S class has the nicest interior in the category.
Fancy trim, virtual electronics, and nice surface finishes are trickery in this case. The overall shape is what's garbage. Any five year old can draw a perfect rectangle for a dashboard and call it a day. Is this world-class design? Something that looks like a 70's GM

tank or from a $15k motorcycle. Wait till you see the new A-class. It's Fisher-Price shaped and would be at home on a Playschool toy.
Old 07-26-18, 03:21 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Fancy trim, virtual electronics, and nice surface finishes are trickery in this case. The overall shape is what's garbage. Any five year old can draw a perfect rectangle for a dashboard and call it a day. Is this world-class design? Something that looks like a 70's GM tank or from a $15k motorcycle. Wait till you see the new A-class. It's Fisher-Price shaped and would be at home on a Playschool toy.
The center display in the LS500 is also rectangular, and the 7 Series, and the Audi, and Jag, and Infiniti, and so on, but maybe you are on to something. Would you prefer the monitors be oval shaped? Or maybe a triangle shaped monitor would look better!

You should call LG and Samsung let them know that rectangles aren’t stylish anymore because you want a star shaped tv! Damn the rectangles!
Old 07-26-18, 08:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

The center display in the LS500 is also rectangular, and the 7 Series, and the Audi, and Jag, and Infiniti, and so on, but maybe you are on to something. Would you prefer the monitors be oval shaped? Or maybe a triangle shaped monitor would look better!

You should call LG and Samsung let them know that rectangles aren’t stylish anymore because you want a star shaped tv! Damn the rectangles!
Not true with any of those examples. All those have a rectangle reserved for only the nav screen area, off to the center. But Benz has it as all one piece, connect to the main gauge package. Nothing artful, nothing elegant, nothing sporty, and nothing innovative for a $60k or $100k car. Lazy.
Old 07-26-18, 09:50 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Not true with any of those examples. All those have a rectangle reserved for only the nav screen area, off to the center. But Benz has it as all one piece, connect to the main gauge package. Nothing artful, nothing elegant, nothing sporty, and nothing innovative for a $60k or $100k car. Lazy.
You have one too many beers tonight?

An excerpt from my quote states, “The center display in the LS500 is also rectangular, and the 7 Series, and the Audi, and Jag, and Infiniti, and so on, but maybe you are on to something.”

The first line of your response, “Not true with any of those examples.”

Please explain how that statement is incorrect considering I never mentioned a “main gauge package.” I only mentioned the central display.

Just so you know, the “main gauge package” is called an instrument cluster.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 07-27-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-26-18, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

You have one too many beers tonight?

An excerpt from my quote states, “The center display in the LS500 is also rectangular, and the 7 Series, and the Audi, and Jag, and Infiniti, and so on, but maybe you are on to something.”

The first line of your response, “Not true with any of those examples.”

Please explain how that statement is incorrect considering I never mentioned a “main gauge package.” I only mentioned the central display.

Just so you know, the “main gauge package” is called an instrument cluster.
My complaint is the entire section, from the gauges to the nav, are all one, plain, connected rectangle. You were pointing out just the nav area on other models. I am saying Mercedes takes it too far by making the entire section all one, plain piece. The other brands do not do that. They have a binnacle or dome above the gauges that have style and shapes that are pleasing or interesting to look at. That's it. Mercedes doesn't have to do what everyone else does. They just chose to go the most drab and lackluster way. Like I said, any five year old can draw out a rectangle for 70% of the dash.
Old 07-27-18, 05:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Try to be the king, but the ACE is back, comes to mind.

Quick Reply: New Mercedes-Benz S-Class spied inside and out