Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got stopped for slightly illegal tint...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default Got stopped for slightly illegal tint...

As some may remember, when I got my 17 LS460L I tinted the windows with 30% Formula One Stratos tint. Legal limit in MD is 35%. I was going to do 40%, but went with the 30 which I had on my 15 LS460.

Well, then 15 was nebula with a grey interior, the 17 is liquid platinum with a black interior, long story short it looks way darker on the 17. Still though, doesn't look super dark. Nobody ever bothered me with the 15, but after 6 months I did get stopped last week just for the tint and got a repair order. Nobody can believe I got stopped...

I had a shop I use meter it, it meters at .28. So the factory Lexus tint is 87.5% if anybody is wondering. I'm at the shop right now having it replaced with 40% which should meter legal and they will certify is legal.

Just venting, $750 down the drain...
Old 07-03-18, 11:15 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow that sucks! Sometimes you wonder if cops can better spend their time stopping other more serious crimes instead of dinging somebody for slightly illegal tint. Thats life sometimes.
Old 07-03-18, 11:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As some may remember, when I got my 17 LS460L I tinted the windows with 30% Formula One Stratos tint. Legal limit in MD is 35%. I was going to do 40%, but went with the 30 which I had on my 15 LS460.

Well, then 15 was nebula with a grey interior, the 17 is liquid platinum with a black interior, long story short it looks way darker on the 17. Still though, doesn't look super dark. Nobody ever bothered me with the 15, but after 6 months I did get stopped last week just for the tint and got a repair order. Nobody can believe I got stopped...

I had a shop I use meter it, it meters at .28. So the factory Lexus tint is 87.5% if anybody is wondering. I'm at the shop right now having it replaced with 40% which should meter legal and they will certify is legal.

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like you just got unlucky. The 40% with certification should do the trick (except recouping the $750). I agree that with a black interior the tinting always looks darker. Here in IL the legal limit for side and rear windows on a sedan is 35% so I always go 40% without any problems so far.
Old 07-03-18, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Such is life! I get to sit here for 3 hours too which is just what I have time to do!
Old 07-03-18, 11:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I never understood why at least in PA, from the factory anything goes, but aftermarket, basically you can't do anything. Then, there are people driving around with "illegal" tinting. It would seem the law makes no sense.

My wife's SUV says 19% on the rear doors. So this, in PA, is legal, because it's from the factory. But if you apply it yourself, not legal. Kinda dumb....

It's as if NJ does enforce. You will see aftermarket where the front doors are not done, but the rear and back glass are black as the night...

dang sorry to hear bro!
Old 07-03-18, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey, just chalk it up as a learning experience...and don't lose any sleep over it. We've all probably spent needless money on cars and equipment before. I'd like to have all the bucks back that I spent in the late 70s and early 80s on GM and Chrysler junk before I switched (at that time) to Japanese-designed vehicles.

One thing, though, puzzles me, . Unless I'm just not seeing through the situation with the tint (no pun intended), if 35% is legal in MD, how can an LS with only 28% can be legally sold in the state? DMV probably wouldn't certify its registration. Or did you add a darker tint after the car was in your hands? Or did the 87.5% refer to the actual amount of light coming through? The percentage, as I understand it (i may be wrong), refers to the percentage of light the tint allows through...the lower the number, the darker the tint.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-18 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hey, just chalk it up as a learning experience...and don't lose any sleep over it. We've all probably all spent needless money on cars and equipment before. I'd like to have all the bucks back that I spent in the late 70s and early 80s on GM and Chrysler junk before I switched (at that time) to Japanese-designed vehicles.
For sure, I continue to have lessons to learn, unfortunately they get more and more expensive lol

One thing, though, puzzles me, unless I'm just not seeing through the situation with the tint (no pun intended) If 35% is legal in MD, how can an LS with only 28% can be legally sold in the state? DMV wouldn't certify its registration. Or did you add a darker tint after the car was in your hands? The percentage, as I understand it, refers to the percentage of light the tint allows through...the lower the number, the darker the tint.
I had it tinted after I got it. The factory tint is 87.5%, so the 30% (which is actually 32%) meters at 28%. The 40% is actually 42%, so it will meter at 36.75%, which should be fine.

I took it to the inspection shop I'm going to have sign off on it this morning, so I know how his tester is calibrated. Was kind of hopping he'd just say "Oh, I'll just sign off" but no luck lol
Old 07-03-18, 12:57 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hey, just chalk it up as a learning experience...and don't lose any sleep over it. We've all probably spent needless money on cars and equipment before. I'd like to have all the bucks back that I spent in the late 70s and early 80s on GM and Chrysler junk before I switched (at that time) to Japanese-designed vehicles.

One thing, though, puzzles me, . Unless I'm just not seeing through the situation with the tint (no pun intended), if 35% is legal in MD, how can an LS with only 28% can be legally sold in the state? DMV probably wouldn't certify its registration. Or did you add a darker tint after the car was in your hands? Or did the 87.5% refer to the actual amount of light coming through? The percentage, as I understand it (i may be wrong), refers to the percentage of light the tint allows through...the lower the number, the darker the tint.
Again my wife's GM SUV has 19% in the rears from the factory...PA says legal if from factory. 19% means as far as I know, 19% passes through, 81% does not.

I didn't grow up with fancy tools. So the first Porsche brake job I did I used a screwdriver to compress the pistons, and bent all 4. Bought a new caliper for over $600 discount from PAR in Yonkers, NY (I am pretty sure parts cost more back then, than today), and I'd be da***** if I knew how to bleed brakes back then. Took the car to a Mobil gas station that worked on foreign cars--I remember the tech saying lemme show you something--this is how light your caliper is (he held it up with a pinkie). Then he picked up one with his hand from a Dodge--this is how heavy a normal caliper is, and why you don't push them in with a screwdriver. $600 when you're 19 y.o. is like the world is ending. Today, it would ruin my week lol

edit out of curiosity, I looked up what a caliper would cost today: $1,032.88 list. I see some things never change (a little over the top for parts)

edit 2 oops, $765.25, there we go. The above is for ceramic brakes. So I was right, relatively speaking, $600 back then, is way way more than $765 today.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-03-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 01:11 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, the ticket is $750 for tinted windows? Well, you totally deserve it.
Old 07-03-18, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theory816
Wow, the ticket is $750 for tinted windows? Well, you totally deserve it.
Boy, you are a piece of work aren't you? Go troll somewhere else.

To everybody else. No ticket, the $750 is to remove the tint and redo it with 40%. The officer was super nice.
Old 07-03-18, 01:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I never understood why at least in PA, from the factory anything goes, but aftermarket, basically you can't do anything. Then, there are people driving around with "illegal" tinting. It would seem the law makes no sense.

My wife's SUV says 19% on the rear doors. So this, in PA, is legal, because it's from the factory. But if you apply it yourself, not legal. Kinda dumb....

It's as if NJ does enforce. You will see aftermarket where the front doors are not done, but the rear and back glass are black as the night...

dang sorry to hear bro!
In my state if you have a CUV, SUV, minivan etc. with factory privacy glass on the rear windows the limit is 50% on the driver and passenger side windows. You can get some pretty good UV and heat rejection with a 50% tint these days so drivers can get the benefit from tinting if they choose.
Old 07-03-18, 01:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

To everybody else. No ticket, the $750 is to remove the tint and redo it with 40%. The officer was super nice.
Was there any charge for the inspection?
Old 07-03-18, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Was there any charge for the inspection?
No, they're good folks.
Old 07-03-18, 02:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, I'd rather not take a chance so I stay legal.
Old 07-03-18, 02:29 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, oh I thought you got a ticket. I don't know why you're calling me a troll when it was you who got pulled over for having tints? You do know there's a reason why you shouldn't have tints, right?

Last edited by theory816; 07-03-18 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Got stopped for slightly illegal tint...