Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got stopped for slightly illegal tint...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 02:39 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a reason why they are called road pirates.
Old 07-03-18, 02:43 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
There's a reason why they are called road pirates.
Sounds like you got a ticket recently. Care to vent?
Old 07-03-18, 02:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Lol, oh I thought you got a ticket. I don't know why you're calling me a troll when it was you who got pulled over for having tints? You do know there's a reason why you shouldn't have tints right?
You do know that tinted windows are legal in many states? It's the percentages that are regulated in those states.
Old 07-03-18, 02:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I never understood why at least in PA, from the factory anything goes, but aftermarket, basically you can't do anything. Then, there are people driving around with "illegal" tinting. It would seem the law makes no sense.
but it's NOT anything goes from the factory. there are regs.

]My wife's SUV says 19% on the rear doors. So this, in PA, is legal, because it's from the factory. But if you apply it yourself, not legal. Kinda dumb....
not at all because as you said, that's the REAR doors. in normal driving most people are looking out the front and front side windows. regs must allow for darker windows in back for privacy and to keep stuff cooler.

It's as if NJ does enforce. You will see aftermarket where the front doors are not done, but the rear and back glass are black as the night...
NJ? i thought you're in PA.
Old 07-03-18, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

All done. With the 40% on it looks almost exactly the same. Its a little lighter, in fact I like it more. I ALMOST got this 40% when I had it done but they kinda talked me into 30%. Funny, while I was there everybody who came in the door was looking for legal tint, and EVERY person bought illegal tint just like I did in January. I almost piped up several times but I just stayed quiet.

Lol, oh I thought you got a ticket. I don't know why you're calling me a troll when it was you who got pulled over for having tints? You do know there's a reason why you shouldn't have tints, right?
Because you're just rude, and posting things just to create discord, which is what a troll does. Your post was fine until the "you totally deserved it though". Get over yourself. You totally deserve getting called a troll, too,

Tinted windows are not illegal in MD, theres just a legal limit, 35%. What I had was slightly below, 30%. As I said before, nobody can believe I got stopped, and in fact the rep at the shop said in the 7 years she'd worked there she had never one time had a customer come back for 30% tint. 15%, sure. The guy at the shop I stopped at to have it tested (MD inspection shop) also said the same thing, he couldn't believe the guy had stopped me. He was right, it is technically illegal, but you would think he'd have better things to do. Hell, I was on 95 going 57 MPH and at that same moment in the left lane people were driving 15+ over the speed limit...why didn't he go stop them?!

And like I said, the 40% looks almost the same as the 30%, so from a safety perspective the 35 is just a dumb arbitrary number.
Old 07-03-18, 04:56 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Yea, you can consider my comment rude but its far from trolling. I said you deserved it because you did. Otherwise the officer wouldn't have pulled you over now would he? Idk, driving behavior is already a problem but vehicle modifications is another.

But I will say this about tinted windows: they are great for avoiding road rage because the other person cannot make eye contact with you and they are good at preventing skin cancer on the left arm.
Old 07-03-18, 04:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I ALMOST got this 40% when I had it done but they kinda talked me into 30%. Funny, while I was there everybody who came in the door was looking for legal tint, and EVERY person bought illegal tint just like I did in January.
Most of the shops I run into always seem to recommend something darker than what I want. If I ask for 50%, they'll suggest 45%. If I ask for 45%, they'll suggest 40% and so on forth.

Old 07-03-18, 05:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Most of the shops I run into always seem to recommend something darker than what I want. If I ask for 50%, they'll suggest 45%. If I ask for 45%, they'll suggest 40% and so on forth.
Same here. Maybe they see a lot of customers disappointed and wanting darker.
Old 07-03-18, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Troll ignored.

Originally Posted by GSteg
In fact, they tried to talk me into having them remove it, going up the road to get it metered and signed off on, and coming back to be re-tinted in the 30 lol. I'll pass.

Like I said the 40 is very similar, and I like it better. Unless somebody wants really dark windows, I see no reason not to do 40.

One part of it is what they carry. This shop doesn't carry 35, 45, etc. They carry 15, 30, 40 & 50. So if you want "35" 40 seems too light and 30 is the compromise I guess.
Old 07-03-18, 06:12 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Lol, oh I thought you got a ticket. I don't know why you're calling me a troll when it was you who got pulled over for having tints? You do know there's a reason why you shouldn't have tints, right?

I got pulled over all the time for tint until I got my medical exemption so maybe there is a reason he has tint, his tint is mild compared to mine. Also you were the guy who could not grasp the concept of traffic flow right?
Old 07-03-18, 06:18 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
All done. With the 40% on it looks almost exactly the same. Its a little lighter, in fact I like it more. I ALMOST got this 40% when I had it done but they kinda talked me into 30%. Funny, while I was there everybody who came in the door was looking for legal tint, and EVERY person bought illegal tint just like I did in January. I almost piped up several times but I just stayed quiet.

Because you're just rude, and posting things just to create discord, which is what a troll does. Your post was fine until the "you totally deserved it though". Get over yourself. You totally deserve getting called a troll, too,

Tinted windows are not illegal in MD, theres just a legal limit, 35%. What I had was slightly below, 30%. As I said before, nobody can believe I got stopped, and in fact the rep at the shop said in the 7 years she'd worked there she had never one time had a customer come back for 30% tint. 15%, sure. The guy at the shop I stopped at to have it tested (MD inspection shop) also said the same thing, he couldn't believe the guy had stopped me. He was right, it is technically illegal, but you would think he'd have better things to do. Hell, I was on 95 going 57 MPH and at that same moment in the left lane people were driving 15+ over the speed limit...why didn't he go stop them?!

And like I said, the 40% looks almost the same as the 30%, so from a safety perspective the 35 is just a dumb arbitrary number.
The officer picked you out because it is a nice lexus with tint, thats the type of cars drug dealers drive maybe thought you were smuggling marijuana from a legal state to a non legal one.
Old 07-03-18, 06:24 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I never understood why at least in PA, from the factory anything goes, but aftermarket, basically you can't do anything. Then, there are people driving around with "illegal" tinting. It would seem the law makes no sense.

My wife's SUV says 19% on the rear doors. So this, in PA, is legal, because it's from the factory. But if you apply it yourself, not legal. Kinda dumb....

It's as if NJ does enforce. You will see aftermarket where the front doors are not done, but the rear and back glass are black as the night...

dang sorry to hear bro!
For some provinces here rear sides and back windows anything goes, but front sides and windshield no aftermarket, just OEM and other than windshield 35% is the limit. A designer for GM told me the OEM part was about ability to shatter, as front side glass is designed to do. Light transmittance is for LEO to see in the car, specially at night as they approach for a road stop,
Old 07-03-18, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
The officer picked you out because it is a nice lexus with tint, thats the type of cars drug dealers drive maybe thought you were smuggling marijuana from a legal state to a non legal one.

Well, from the stereotypes, that thought had crossed my mind, too, but I really didn't give it much credence (or mention it in a post), because this is an extremely high income area, and there are a LOT of nice, big, expensive sedans running around...perhaps second only to the L.A. region. In this area, almost anyone could be driving a nice luxury car like that...not just a drug dealer. I thought it would be insulting to Steve to even bring it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was definitely in a lower income part of the area. The thought crossed my mind too.

Its been on there for 6 months, and it was on the other LS for 3 years, so think of the number of cops that looked at it and didn’t say anything.
Old 07-03-18, 07:01 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

For this very reason I got 35% up front and 20% in the rear. Can't be bothered getting pulled over. Cops don't play down here lol.

Quick Reply: Got stopped for slightly illegal tint...