Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

L460 FSport vs. Rc350 sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 05:31 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Essiedub

Heh heh jrmckinley ! Funny you should ask...I have been reading up on it ( incessantly) but haven't had the tme to go test drive it yet. I am kind of afraid that I might like it ..like a lot. If I had an extra garage space, I would totally just get it for looks alone. It is just so great that one doesn't have to worry about reliability! Otherwise, that it isn't the most practical (trunk space. Small back seat etc) gives me pause. But still...am I cool enough to pull this off. I am, after all, an LS kinda person!! Really liking the LS500 also, but that’s another story..V6 hangs me up (for now) and for no good reason, as I spend a lot of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic
OK, I have to do it- I'm going to try to get you the best of both worlds. If I was in your position, I would have a hard time talking myself out of one of the following situations:
1) Keep your 430 and buy or lease an LC (new or with 5k-10k miles as pointed out above). You effectively have a new 430 since you went forward with the transmission, control arms, etc. Nothing else big should really go wrong on that car. I'd use it as my daily driver (you mention stop & go traffic), park it in the driveway, and let the LC be the garage queen that gets driven on weekends, for dinners, joy rides, etc.
2) Ditch your 430, get a 2010-2012 460 for around $20k, and lease the LC for 3 years. I have no idea what this may cost you on a lease, but if it was $1,200/month you'd be out $45k on the LC and $20k on a 460 and you'd have 2 "new to you" cars (and the 460 is a nice upgrade from the 430). So for $60k over the course of 3 years you've done a pretty major upgrade and could likely get around $10k or so when you ditch the 460 to put towards something else (maybe buying out the LC)? I don't know anything about leasing but there are lots of folks on here who can help you with the math to make sure you're getting a good deal if you consider it.

For me, I'd be talking myself into option 1. The main reason is because the $$ you put into repairing your 430 will never be returned to you in full if you were to sell it tomorrow. The 430's are just too old and most of the folks who would be looking to buy one (excluding most folks on this forum) wouldn't appreciate the value of the work you did to reimburse you for it. Keeping the 430 (or buying a 460) allows you to have a practical car since you may be a bit concerned about trunk space, etc. in the LC. Towards the end of my 430 ownership, I had an S5 as a 3rd car and totally get what you're saying about stuff like that. But that's the beauty of keeping the 430 while having an awesome sports car at the same time. You get the best of both worlds.

The LC is a special vehicle, especially for Lexus. I'm reluctant to buy anything new but I know if I test drove one I would have a very difficult time justifying why it shouldn't be in my garage.. It's best for me to avoid the temptation so I will live vicariously through others (for now). Keep us posted!

Old 07-17-18, 05:40 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

LS460 all day long...
Old 07-19-18, 08:16 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
OK, I have to do it- I'm going to try to get you the best of both worlds. If I was in your position, I would have a hard time talking myself out of one of the following situations:
1) Keep your 430 and buy or lease an LC (new or with 5k-10k miles as pointed out above). You effectively have a new 430 since you went forward with the transmission, control arms, etc. Nothing else big should really go wrong on that car. I'd use it as my daily driver (you mention stop & go traffic), park it in the driveway, and let the LC be the garage queen that gets driven on weekends, for dinners, joy rides, etc.
2) Ditch your 430, get a 2010-2012 460 for around $20k, and lease the LC for 3 years. I have no idea what this may cost you on a lease, but if it was $1,200/month you'd be out $45k on the LC and $20k on a 460 and you'd have 2 "new to you" cars (and the 460 is a nice upgrade from the 430). So for $60k over the course of 3 years you've done a pretty major upgrade and could likely get around $10k or so when you ditch the 460 to put towards something else (maybe buying out the LC)? I don't know anything about leasing but there are lots of folks on here who can help you with the math to make sure you're getting a good deal if you consider it.

For me, I'd be talking myself into option 1. The main reason is because the $$ you put into repairing your 430 will never be returned to you in full if you were to sell it tomorrow. The 430's are just too old and most of the folks who would be looking to buy one (excluding most folks on this forum) wouldn't appreciate the value of the work you did to reimburse you for it. Keeping the 430 (or buying a 460) allows you to have a practical car since you may be a bit concerned about trunk space, etc. in the LC. Towards the end of my 430 ownership, I had an S5 as a 3rd car and totally get what you're saying about stuff like that. But that's the beauty of keeping the 430 while having an awesome sports car at the same time. You get the best of both worlds.

The LC is a special vehicle, especially for Lexus. I'm reluctant to buy anything new but I know if I test drove one I would have a very difficult time justifying why it shouldn't be in my garage.. It's best for me to avoid the temptation so I will live vicariously through others (for now). Keep us posted!

I am ignoring you jrmckinkey! Seriously though, I like option 1. Grr. I have not felt such an emotional tug from any car before. Anything before (911, A7, esp, the Maseratis and Alfa’s) would always have some overarching issue that I could not overcome, namely issues with reliability, comfort, and noise. Now Lexus goes and launches the new LS and this LC..racy, luxe, reliable. Oh boy. The fear is real! I went as far as contemplating adding depth into my garage but the foundation work and the destruction of the garden seems a tough sell. I have been digesting all the videos and went so far as researching what few LCs are available used. Found a beautiful dark blue (nightfall mica) with the flaxen interior..la sigh...fortunately it’s located in the next state. Now Who was it that put the LC idea out there!?

Old 07-19-18, 09:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude, get the LC coupe, keep your current LS since you just dumped a ton of $$$$ in it(unless it really does have like 300k miles on it and is falling apart/actually worn out). I know 100k is A LOT of $$$$ for a car, this car is kind of hot/new so I doubt the dealers are doing any real discounts, and hell they may never do any real discounts on it if its intended to be a low volume type of car and Lexus doesn't really care if they only sell a couple thousand a year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for the first year on an all new, "HOT" type of car with limited production dealers don't discount, a lot of times there is a markup even.

Still I'm betting it will depreciate pretty hard and be a steal used a year or two from now.
Old 07-19-18, 10:45 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Dude, get the LC coupe, keep your current LS since you just dumped a ton of $$$$ in it(unless it really does have like 300k miles on it and is falling apart/actually worn out). I know 100k is A LOT of $$$$ for a car, this car is kind of hot/new so I doubt the dealers are doing any real discounts, and hell they may never do any real discounts on it if its intended to be a low volume type of car and Lexus doesn't really care if they only sell a couple thousand a year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for the first year on an all new, "HOT" type of car with limited production dealers don't discount, a lot of times there is a markup even.

Still I'm betting it will depreciate pretty hard and be a steal used a year or two from now.

Ya Thanks Aron9000, you too are another enabler! And poof! just like that..up pops the sales promotion! Erg...like this is all I need...$5000 promotion on LC through the end of the month I am not going to bite.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...0-lc-500h.html

I think That if I were to seriously consider this, I’d like to take at run it used, now that I’ve discovered the wonderful world of “depreciation absorotion by 1st owner.” Somewhere on this forum, I read that the sweet spot is 7 years for 70%. I’d be thrilled at 25-30% off...uh..wait I haven’t even test driven this yet and besides, I need that 3rd garage.

With its new repairs, my LS430 is now in great shape with only 135k ..worth a lot more to me than its market value, so I really have NO reason to be shopping!

I just need to stay off this forum!
Old 07-20-18, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I saw an LC on the road the other night, white, beautiful. He took off to pass a car and I could hear the engine from behind him a good ways and in the LS. Awesome.
Old 07-20-18, 06:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I saw an LC on the road the other night, white, beautiful. He took off to pass a car and I could hear the engine from behind him a good ways and in the LS. Awesome.
Have seen a couple of white ones recently - they look great. I don't typically like white cars much but that car and the color of that white are a perfect match. And that sound...
Old 07-20-18, 08:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Nah, the metallic red is the color you want. Its very unique from other metallic reds that tend to look more burgandy, darker. It kind of has a sort of pink hue to it in certain lights. Its a really interesting color shifting paint. I love that color, it would also look pretty cool on your custom 1960's Cadillac or Chevy Impala low-rider, due to that pink hue and the flop factor.

Old 07-20-18, 09:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I love that red too, and I always think thats the best color until I see it in other colors and they make me question it. The car just looks great in any color...
Old 07-22-18, 10:30 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You will never have reliability issues with Audi's. I have had at least twenty. I will turn my second S7 in next year. I race them every time I drive them. Bullet proof!
Old 07-22-18, 10:32 AM
Walloon
Rookie

I forgot to mention that I have an LC500 along with several cars. Love the LC!
Old 07-22-18, 10:34 AM
Walloon
Rookie

See the pictures of my Atomic Silver with Carbon mirrors in this Forum.
Old 07-22-18, 10:47 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Speaking of LC noise. I have heard the gears banging in mine a mile away! Nothng sounds like it other than my Jag. XKRS but that shifts like a Buick. Believe me it sounds just as good inside with the windows up! Everytime I drive it I see people taking pics. and pointing. Everytime I stop people approach to see it. Two people said they no longer wanted a corvette. One said they were selling their Porsche. (I have a Porsche track car and will never sell it) Two different animals. In terms of space. The back seat takes the place of another trunk. We get everything we need in the car for a three night trip. It also rides better and has more comfortable seats than any of my current cars. It won't go 180 or hit 60 in 3.5 but it's a lot more visceral and fun to drive in many ways. "It's the whole package" and the sound and shifts are worth the price alone.