Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Specific model registered in a State

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 11:19 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Specific model registered in a State

Is there a way to look up the number of a specific make/model registered in a particular state? Does anybody know this? I have asked the DMV and they couldn't provide an answer.
This is just curiosity/nosiness on my part. I have had my car for 16 years and in that time I have only seen one GS430 in the city I live, and it was an out-of-state vehicle. There was a member here years ago who listed his car as a GS430 but he hasn't been active in years.
MD
Old 06-29-18, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Is there a way to look up the number of a specific make/model registered in a particular state? Does anybody know this? I have asked the DMV and they couldn't provide an answer.
This is just curiosity/nosiness on my part. I have had my car for 16 years and in that time I have only seen one GS430 in the city I live, and it was an out-of-state vehicle. There was a member here years ago who listed his car as a GS430 but he hasn't been active in years.
MD

The most likely reason DMV can't help is that, with people constantly moving in and out of the state and registering or de-registering their vehicles, the official numbers for a specific type of vehicle, except for perhaps very low-production vehicles, probably change too often.
Old 06-29-18, 10:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The most likely reason DMV can't help is that, with people constantly moving in and out of the state and registering or de-registering their vehicles, the official numbers for a specific type of vehicle, except for perhaps very low-production vehicles, probably change too often.
No, the most likely reason is it would take work to gather and sort this type of info. There's no way they would just happily oblige some random persons request for the data. Now, if you were in law enforcement and needed it, I'm sure it would be available.
Old 06-29-18, 10:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Is the GS430 a rare car? I've seen plenty of GS of that vintage, but I usually don't make any mental note if it is a 430 or a 300.

As far as efficiency goes, I have to laugh at how efficient the USPS and IRS are. For a package to go from CA to PA, it takes the USPS on regular first class with tracking, Fri to Mon. With FedEx Ground, Fri to Fri. And, nothing ever is rescheduled early--if it arrives to the locale early, it sits. USPS reschedules for earlier than anticipated delivery. DOS? Passport renewal, normal delivery, < 3 wks.

DMV is another story. 12 weeks for a license plate? I looked into it, and was told it was done by prisoners (I thought it was a joke, no), and it's just slow, period. And in PA, it costs the Commonwealth $1.80 per plate--less than I thought.

edit p.s. just thought of something else--my mom was looking for her marriage certificate. 7 weeks later, City of New York sent a letter, "not found," AND they refunded her money. That was the strangest thing, to get your money back. Searching online is free, and I was not able to find a record for her, but found my two aunts in < 1 min. My point is if I could find records in < 1 min. for my 2 aunts, the City of New York should have been able to reply to my mom in say 6 weeks, not 7. Yes I'm being facetious and implying these "wait" periods are 100% artificial, like 12 weeks later I still have no license plate.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 06-29-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 05:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
No, the most likely reason is it would take work to gather and sort this type of info. There's no way they would just happily oblige some random persons request for the data. Now, if you were in law enforcement and needed it, I'm sure it would be available.
Law enforcement, though, would usually be more concerned with getting info on an individual vehicle (say, in connection with, or suspect in, a crime or car theft), than in the total number of those vehicles registered in a state.
Old 06-30-18, 11:17 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

See, I just though that a couple of keystrokes would do it.
As far as rare, ONLY 2500 units were sent to the US in 2002. Other years in this 2nd gen were even less.
Old 06-30-18, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I also doubt the DMV demarcates the difference between a GS430 and any other GS on a vehicle title.