Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 04:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not to mention the Buick Enclave, which is even nicer, and can be had for the same price if you forgo the top-trim version.
I commend your restraint, waiting this long into the discussion to bring Buick into the mix.

For me, and others may have a different opinion, I'd rather have a top of the line fully-loaded Chevy than a lower or mid-range Buick sibling.
Old 03-06-19, 07:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The Edge ST has 335 hp/380 lb/from torque. Way more than the Blazer. With every option, I get it up to around $47K. The Titanium with every option is about $45K, which I believe has more features.

This money also puts you in a high spec Grand Cherokee with nicer interior, real off road capability and better engines.

These are direct competitors that simply do more. Then there's the fact that this money also puts you in larger 3-row crossovers in top trim. Chevy's own Traverse at $45-50K trims is much nicer.
I'd be curious and I think the Ford is the 2.7 Ecoboost--is that a have your cake and eat it too scenario? I was once given an Edge loaner from the Nissan dealer, and it was my first foray into 12 mpg. It was probably a 2010 vehicle. Since at that time we never owned an automatic or a crossover, I did not realize how much energy is needed to launch them, and the stop and go penalty (where the highway can be fine, but the city is harsh, like 12/24). Imagine if the Edge could do all that and get 18 mph city or something, which is why I don't get that GM doesn't start deploying turbocharging in more vehicles...just jumped online and the Edge is 19/26, are you kidding me? For 380 ft. lbs and AWD, what GM crossover can touch that?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=40823
Old 03-06-19, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I commend your restraint, waiting this long into the discussion to bring Buick into the mix.
Thanks, but the Enclave speaks for itself....it needs no help from me.

For me, and others may have a different opinion, I'd rather have a top of the line fully-loaded Chevy than a lower or mid-range Buick sibling.
If you noticed.....that is the very gist of this thread. A top-line Blazer is priced like an Enclave, but doesn't even have the value (in terms of value per dollar) of an Equinox.
Old 03-06-19, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

.but I'm talking about overall value. I haven't test-driven a new Rolls Royce, either, though I'm not sure it's worth the $300,000+ that Rolls typically asks.
Because people who buy a Rolls Royce are concerned about value

One thing that kept the Navajo down was that Ford refused to give Mazda a four-door version of it.......perhaps (?) because the Explorer sold so hot in the early 1990s that Ford itself could barely keep up with demand for the 4-door version. The 2-door Explorer Sport, of course, sold in much lower numbers, and Ford could spare the assembly-line space with the Navajo version.
Where do you get this stuff?! 2 door and 4 door Explorers were built on the same assembly line.
Old 03-06-19, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Where do you get this stuff?! 2 door and 4 door Explorers were built on the same assembly line.
Ford officials, themselves, at the time, said that they were not giving Mazda a version of the 4-door Explorer. Now, if you want to ask THEM where they got that stuff, that's fine.....be my guest.
Old 03-06-19, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Ford officials, themselves, at the time, said that they were not giving Mazda a version of the 4-door Explorer. Now, if you want to ask THEM where they got that stuff, that's fine.....go right ahead.
What I meant was your comment that they had room on the assembly line for a 2 door Navajo but not a 4 door version. That makes no sense, its the same assembly line.
Old 03-07-19, 07:48 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

All these vehicles are so similar including my Santa Fe. I think the Blazer name is wasted on a vehicle like this. They should have built a Grand Cherokee competitor. The Grand Cherokee is built so much stronger than all these suv's. Most Grand Cherokee's never leave the pavement but there's no comparison to these cars. The Jeep sits you up higher, gives you more ground clearance and takes imperfections in the road like they are not even there. It does all this with all the same amenities. My wife would not trade hers for anything. I agree with her. This is what the Chevy Blazer should be. The JGC has no real competitors and they sell 225,000 a year.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 03-07-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
This is what the Chevy Blazer should be. The JGC has no real competitors and they sell 225,000 a year.
Totally agree that the new Blazer should have been more on the lines of the JGC. The JGC does have one (technical) competitor, though...the Dodge Durango, which is done on the same platform,
Old 03-09-19, 12:59 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All these vehicles are so similar including my Santa Fe. I think the Blazer name is wasted on a vehicle like this. They should have built a Grand Cherokee competitor. The Grand Cherokee is built so much stronger than all these suv's. Most Grand Cherokee's never leave the pavement but there's no comparison to these cars. The Jeep sits you up higher, gives you more ground clearance and takes imperfections in the road like they are not even there. It does all this with all the same amenities. My wife would not trade hers for anything. I agree with her. This is what the Chevy Blazer should be. The JGC has no real competitors and they sell 225,000 a year.
Agreed that it would have made sense instead of duplicating so many other offerings. Why not try to go after Grand Cherokee? Maybe other brands think it's a lost cause to go after such an established nameplate that owns the segment?

Totally agree that the new Blazer should have been more on the lines of the JGC. The JGC does have one (technical) competitor, though...the Dodge Durango, which is done on the same platform,
While the Durango shares some elements, it's not really even a competitor per se. It being a bigger 3-row vs 2 row. Really, the only vehicle that more closely competes is the Toyota 4Runner but even that is a bit of a different animal. Both are mid-size 2-row SUV's with real off-roading capability. The 4Runner is even beefier and more truck like. So the GC is more a comfort cruiser in relation to the Toyota that rides more like a mid-size truck.

But yeah, this is what GM is missing out on. Everyone agrees that we're buried in pavement crossovers. Why not bite into the GC pie.
Old 03-10-19, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The Jeep [Grand Cherokee] sits you up higher, gives you more ground clearance and takes imperfections in the road like they are not even there.
having owned a jgc summit, i disagree with you. Loved the vehicle, but found the ride harsh and bumpy over road imperfections. Granted the summit has the 20” wheels which no doubt contributes. And mine was rwd so didn’t have air suspension which may have made mine worse too.
Old 03-10-19, 08:47 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a 2014 and a 2015 Limited 4 Runner. This beast was the badest bad boy you could get. It was very cool but there were too many shortcomings to overlook.. Terrible turning radius, no pr tailgate (and it was heavy), stiffest ride ever, no new safety features or blind spot monitor, no radar cruise, small terrible GPS screen and system etc. The Grand Cherokee is light years ahead of it. The AWD 18 inch wheel no air suspension is the comfortable ride. The Limited offers this plus you add the 4k package that gets you the rest of the goodies. If you like amazing turning radius, high ground clearance and crauling over a curb once in awhile this is your car. The mall crawlers work really good but nothing does it all like the JGC.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 03-11-19 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 09:19 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4Runner is becoming ancient like numerous Toyota/Lexus body on frame SUV's. With Toyota's deep pockets, it's curious why they let these models linger on forever. The current generation will be 10 years old next year.

The JGC is oddly time extended for such a popular model. The current generation came out in summer 2010 as a 2011 although Jeep continually updates it. I look forward to seeing an all new model soon but there's no word on it yet. Interesting thing about the JGC is that the overall design has been consistent since the first gen taking evolutionary steps forward. We already know that the 5th gen will immediately be recognized as a Grand Cherokee much like the Wrangler keeps its signature look.
Old 03-10-19, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 4Runner is becoming ancient like numerous Toyota/Lexus body on frame SUV's. With Toyota's deep pockets, it's curious why they let these models linger on forever. The current generation will be 10 years old next year.
I find it somewhat akin to squeezing every last bit of toothpaste from a bottle
Old 03-10-19, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The 4Runner is becoming ancient like numerous Toyota/Lexus body on frame SUV's. With Toyota's deep pockets, it's curious why they let these models linger on forever. The current generation will be 10 years old next year..
Its easy to criticize the 4Runner, however Toyota it appears is aligning everything to come off of their new platforms, it appears that gone are the days of different models for different markets, case in point, no more Auris for the UK, they now got the same platform and design as we get in NA for the new Corolla (but with a few different trims or spec changes). Personally, I think the 4Runner is a great vehicle for what it worth, the current version was only made for North America whereas mine was designed for other world markets in both LH or RH drive (they just called it a Surf Hilux with a diesel). So where does the new 4Runner go, I think Toyota will go to a LH and RH offerings for different markets going forward. It will be interesting to know if Toyota drops the Kluger name on the next go around for the Highlander that they tack on to it.
Old 03-10-19, 08:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4Runner gets trashed because it doesn't have driving aid features that are nice to have but not essential. There is a great revolution in things like LKA, BSM, auto-braking, rear emergency braking. These are very good things. But this truck is not a urban crossover but it often gets used for those purposes. But push the envelope and get into cities, towns and snowy winter spots where there is no snow clearing schedule. In some places, this Blazer would be towed out by a 4Runner.

Ever seen a 4Runner on a tow hook? You'll see the occasional JGC on a tow truck. Or a Toyota product with burnt out headlights and taillights? Yet to see that often. See these on all sorts of Detroit and German products. Newer ones yet.

This Blazer will sell well - but really it's a crossover, loaded up and tarted up with high msrp and deep discounting. Gotta wonder, does this new Blazer have a low range gearset? Or a RR style hill descent control? Probably not. But they want $55K and will sell it out the door for $40K+ or so.

And it's manueverability? It's about 1 ft higher turning radius vs a JGC. If you're worried about a 4Runner not being agile in the mall parking lot, you bought the wrong truck.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-10-19 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer