Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Salespeople Never Heeard of Club Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 04:30 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Lexus Salespeople Never Heard of Club Lexus?

The other day I made an appointment to test drive a LS 500. When I showed up the General Manager with whom I spoken with to make the appointment greeted me. I told him I had read such good things about the LS 500 on Club Lexus that I wanted to test drive one. He had a puzzled look on his face, never heard of it. He put me in touch with a salesman who came along on my test drive. I mentioned reading about the car on Club Lexus, he didn't know what I was talking about. Before I left the dealership the Sales Manger introduced himself. I again mentioned the Club Lexus glowing reviews and he didn't have a clue about this internet forum.

Several months before I ordered my 2007 LS, I joined this forum to read about it, and I was just an interested buyer. You mean to tell me that people who actually sell the car have no idea of this forum's existence? Was this an isolated instance or have others experienced this?

Last edited by Nospinzone; 06-22-18 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 05:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The other day I made an appointment to test drive a LS 500. When I showed up the General Manager with whom I spoken with to make the appointment greeted me. I told him I had read such good things about the LS 500 on Club Lexus that I wanted to test drive one. He had a puzzled look on his face, never heard of it. He put me in touch with a salesman who came along on my test drive. I mentioned reading about the car on Club Lexus, he didn't know what I was talking about. Before I left the dealership the Sales Manger introduced himself. I again mentioned the Club Lexus glowing reviews and he didn't have a clue about this internet forum.

Several months before I ordered my 2007 LS, I joined this forum to read about it, and I was just an interested buyer. You mean to tell me that people who actually sell the car have no idea of this forum's existence? Was this an isolated instance or have others experienced this?
That sounds about right.
Old 06-21-18, 05:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Most salespeople have no clue about cars but they are good at sales.
They don’t like enthusiasts that bug them with millions of questions and complain if there is a tiny scratch.
Old 06-21-18, 06:20 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

I can't tell if you're being serious. If you are, I really don't know what to say...
Old 06-21-18, 08:43 PM
evident
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I doubt many owners even know of these forums, and that goes across every make and model of car!
Old 06-21-18, 08:50 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Most salespeople have no clue about cars but they are good at sales.
They don’t like enthusiasts that bug them with millions of questions and complain if there is a tiny scratch.
Agreed, every time ive gone to the dealer some how im the one educating the sales person about the cars features, but they definitely are good at selling you a story about how they are on your side fighting to get an amazing deal for you ahah.
Old 06-21-18, 10:48 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by monkey92
Agreed, every time ive gone to the dealer some how im the one educating the sales person about the cars features, but they definitely are good at selling you a story about how they are on your side fighting to get an amazing deal for you ahah.
that's why i quit dealership work and re-enrolled at umass to finish my remaining 2 semesters, i was the opposite of that lol... i'm sure i ended up telling people too much about good the car is and all it can do without doing enough of the rapport building bs part of selling. i was also more interested in working on the "standup routine" as my manager would say instead of saying only what was necessary to close a sale.
Old 06-21-18, 10:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

many lexus salesman probably don't even know a new generation of LS came out
Old 06-22-18, 03:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

As I have been saying for years, most people out there are not car enthusiasts like we are. And the same goes for dealership employees. Our little corner of the world here is not known by most others. Fine by me though. I rather have the upper hand in a sale without them knowing what I know.

Speaking of forums, you will get a wide range of opinions about any car. Lexus forums will generally like Lexus cars. Honda forums will generally like Honda cars. Ford forums will generally like Ford cars. And so on. I wouldn't take what some forums have to say as a serious bar. People have their own taste. Detailed research all around and seat of your pants experience is helpful.
Old 06-22-18, 03:53 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For them it's just another day on a job. Selling Lexus, Kia or McLaren to them doesn't matter as long as they bring enough food on the table.
Old 06-22-18, 05:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Why does this surprise you? Most baristas have never heard of CoffeeGeek. Most investment advisors are unaware of bogleheads or the M* forums. Most Audio/Video dealers don't know about AVS Forum. I could go on and on. This is normal.
Old 06-22-18, 05:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Do you routinely go on forums related to what you do for a living? I actually would hope not. My assumption is at work, you have resources to get correct answers, be it in house, or someone you pay to obtain the correct answers. Forums are more for if you can't pay for the above, or for a hobby. Why would a car salesman go on a car forum, he's focused on selling. What if he wanted to know if he should drive 5 to 10 mph over the limit, should he come here?
Old 06-22-18, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Why does this surprise you? Most baristas have never heard of CoffeeGeek. Most investment advisors are unaware of bogleheads or the M* forums. Most Audio/Video dealers don't know about AVS Forum. I could go on and on. This is normal.
My wife used to see Jack in the cafeteria all the time at work, and her coworkers had no idea who he was. Said he was always polite but legend says McNabb did him it even though once in a while they were seen together. She didn't work there very long but we did attend a co. picnic and I always liked the co. My son was born at the hospital in the town he owns.
Old 06-22-18, 06:37 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I can't tell if you're being serious. If you are, I really don't know what to say...
I'm completely serious, all three of them had a puzzled look on their face when I mentioned the forum.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised because every car salesperson I have ever encountered for any brand knew much less about the car I was considering than I did.
Old 06-22-18, 06:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

There are a few exceptions I'm aware of where salespeople actively participate in the community; unfortunately most of the time they join when they learn of CL simply to try to sell.

There are a ton of Lexus and Toyota employees that are part of CL; most of them aren't in sales but are in service, parts, corporate or other areas. As others have said, not unusual.

The only topic I've really noticed where a lot of the professionals I interact with are active in online communities and online research is auto detailing.

Quick Reply: Lexus Salespeople Never Heeard of Club Lexus?