Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis, Kia, Hyundai top JD Power Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 05:54 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The IQS is not a joke, it is a survey of issues that owners had in the first 3 months with their new cars. It tells us basically nothing about long term reliability, there is another Power survey that reports on problems after 3 years.

What kinds of things come up in the IQS that relate to quality? Paint flaws, crooked interior seams, squeaks and rattles, early failure of systems, etc. For example, the 2016+ RX350 has had numerous complaints from new owners about excessive noise and vibration plus hesitation on acceleration. They also evaluate quality of design. Ask a new Lexus owner about the quality of his infotainment system.

My take is that the manufacturers at the top of the IQS are doing the best job of meeting customer expectations at the beginning of ownership. After 3 years, the ranking will change somewhat, but most of the top ranked in IQS will still be near the top.
I'm not convinced. Cup holders are listed in the top 10 of problems. How are they a quality issue? If you didn't like the cupholders then don't buy the car and complain later. This nonsense is effecting the ratings to a point I don't think they are a reliable gauge.
Old 06-23-18, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm not convinced. Cup holders are listed in the top 10 of problems. How are they a quality issue?
Also, IMO, it is realistic to buy a vehicle with regular-size cupholders and then complain because they won't hold a Big Gulp LOL.

Old 06-23-18, 07:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be fair, in my area, I sometimes do see Tundras with utility or construction workers in them with hard-hats...but they clearly are not the popularity of the domestic iron.
When I saw a giant rat and workers getting hassled as they entered (a new bank was being built, by the guy who founded Commerce now TD), I couldn't help but feel it wasn't right. It was like watching Sopranos, only not a tv show. At the same time, who wants to be subjected to that if they don't have to? Meaning on many things we do what's right and follow our conscience. On others, we like to avoid issues. My last firm decided to roll up their sleeves, and they used non Union cablers. They changed their minds when UPS and FedEx stopped delivering to the entire office complex, and SAP and US Airways were screaming at us. Truck? I gotta go Ford or Chevy, that's me.

edit just thought of this: in our real estate division, the head honcho drives a 2500 Silverado. He wears suits more than he handles a shovel. I think it would be kinda odd if he drove a Tundra, it's about leading by example. Does he have a 911? A Range Rover? A Mercedes sedan, sure he does, but when he goes to a job site, it's in the Silverado (how could I actually know this, I can't, it's when I've seen him at one, at the office and Post Office I've seen the other 3, and yes, I do feel awkward if they see me in a LS430 lol)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 06-23-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 07:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm not convinced. Cup holders are listed in the top 10 of problems. How are they a quality issue? If you didn't like the cupholders then don't buy the car and complain later. This nonsense is effecting the ratings to a point I don't think they are a reliable gauge.
I guess if someone was shopping for a particular car or brand and hadn't thought about taking a closer look at the cupholders it might provide a heads up to take a closer look at them. This would avoid a problem or issue after the purchase.
Old 06-23-18, 08:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When I saw a giant rat and workers getting hassled as they entered (a new bank was being built, by the guy who founded Commerce now TD), I couldn't help but feel it wasn't right.
What are you referring to by giant rat?

It was like watching Sopranos, only not a tv show. At the same time, who wants to be subjected to that if they don't have to? Meaning on many things we do what's right and follow our conscience. On others, we like to avoid issues. My last firm decided to roll up their sleeves, and they used non Union cablers. They changed their minds when UPS and FedEx stopped delivering to the entire office complex, and SAP and US Airways were screaming at us. Truck? I gotta go Ford or Chevy, that's me.

edit just thought of this: in our real estate division, the head honcho drives a 2500 Silverado. He wears suits more than he handles a shovel. I think it would be kinda odd if he drove a Tundra, it's about leading by example. Does he have a 911? A Range Rover? A Mercedes sedan, sure he does, but when he goes to a job site, it's in the Silverado (how could I actually know this, I can't, it's when I've seen him at one, at the office and Post Office I've seen the other 3, and yes, I do feel awkward if they see me in a LS430 lol)
What does any of this have to do with the thread topic?
Old 06-23-18, 11:03 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There are several reports of fragile cup holders particularly on German cars plus the tight space on others. This is a fail in design quality for many. Poor cupholders are a daily annoyance to many people so considering them is valid. The fact that so many complained that they were in the top 10 just verifies that the design failed the consumer. Again, it doesn't impact the long term reliability, but the manufacturer failed to satisfy the expectation of the consumer, the ultimate quality fail.
Old 06-24-18, 10:51 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Also, IMO, it is realistic to buy a vehicle with regular-size cupholders and then complain because they won't hold a Big Gulp LOL.

So your saying the cup in your photo won't fit a std cup holder? Notice the bottom third in your photo the cup is designed to fit a std cup holder. I've never had a problem holding a big gulp in my vehicles.
Old 06-24-18, 10:58 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by oldcajun
There are several reports of fragile cup holders particularly on German cars plus the tight space on others. This is a fail in design quality for many. Poor cupholders are a daily annoyance to many people so considering them is valid. The fact that so many complained that they were in the top 10 just verifies that the design failed the consumer. Again, it doesn't impact the long term reliability, but the manufacturer failed to satisfy the expectation of the consumer, the ultimate quality fail.
Wow, I wasn't aware this was such a big issue. I think you may be exaggerating a little. I also think this may have been an issue years ago, but modern vehicles I've seen all have sufficient cup holders included. I must say I don't monitor what German vehicles are doing but is surprising since they get such love here.
Old 06-24-18, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^ it's not so much about the quantity of cup holders as it is the quality, function, utility.

my jeep ones were great with little retracting grippers in them holding anything put in firmly and adjusting nicely to different sizes.probably rooted in helping people with drinks while off roading so bubba's big gulp doesn't go everywhere.

edit: realized after i posted that my genesis g90 has the spring loaded grippers too.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-24-18 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So your saying the cup in your photo won't fit a std cup holder? Notice the bottom third in your photo the cup is designed to fit a std cup holder. I've never had a problem holding a big gulp in my vehicles.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but not all cupholders (or cups, for that matter) are the same. I simply used the Big Gulp as synonymous with large, wide drinks in general, and many of them don't have the tapered-lower-ends like that. The cupholders that bitkahuna described, with the adjustable grip-rings, are probably the best.
Old 06-24-18, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The cupholders that bitkahuna described, with the adjustable grip-rings, are probably the best.
not sure what grip rings are. on mine there's 3 equally spaced spring loaded bumpers that the cup pushes out when you push it into the holder and the tension on the pushed in spring loaded bumpers holds the cup in place.
Old 06-24-18, 11:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow, I wasn't aware this was such a big issue. I think you may be exaggerating a little. I also think this may have been an issue years ago, but modern vehicles I've seen all have sufficient cup holders included. I must say I don't monitor what German vehicles are doing but is surprising since they get such love here.
My point was that so many people complained about the design of their cup holders that it became the #10 problem on the survey. You can't just blow off this level of customer complaints about a product. In the IQS a few years ago, Ford got really hammered about their "My Ford Touch" interface for infotainment. Ford fixed this issue and now rates higher. Maybe if Lexus fixed their issue with infotainment interface they might have finished higher. Bottom line is still that the Koreans are listening and doing a better job of meeting customer expectations. It will be 2021 before we have the Power survey on dependability, but I'm willing to bet that they will still dominate.

Many years ago, the Japanese car companies began to listen and improve their products. Tiny companies with little US sales began to get rave reviews for the quality of their products.
Tiny companies like Honda and Toyota began to change the US impression of what a new car should be. Lexus redefined what a luxury car should be. Now the Koreans are in the same place.
Old 06-25-18, 05:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure what grip rings are. on mine there's 3 equally spaced spring loaded bumpers that the cup pushes out when you push it into the holder and the tension on the pushed in spring loaded bumpers holds the cup in place.

Yes, that's what I meant....just used a different phrase to describe it. To be honest, though, I usually try not to drink in my car at all, for a number of reasons. I end up using the cupholders and other small compartments to hold items like my military-base pass, Arlington National Cemetery pass (where both of my parents are buried), hand-held calculator, St. Christopher travel-protection medals, etc..... I figure that the mug of Starbucks Italian Roast that I brew and drink every morning, at home, in my kitchen and dining room, with the creamer and honey that I put in it, tastes just as good, if not better, than anything I can get over the counter at Starbucks itself.
Old 06-25-18, 05:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And how did we all get so deep into cupholder discussion? Apparently on how it affects the J.D. Power and CR satisfaction surveys for some people.
Old 06-25-18, 05:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Saul has an easy solution for small cupholders, this is a C class though.

Should work for E and S class too

Quick Reply: Genesis, Kia, Hyundai top JD Power Study