Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

would you buy a lexus ux or a tesla model 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 10:43 AM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default would you buy a lexus ux or a tesla model 3

i know it is not the same vehicle type but both are small mpg conscious
which would be your choice and why?
(please don't bring autopilot and other "tesla shortcomings" into this discussion

Ty
Old 06-16-18, 01:05 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

I would buy almost anything other than a Model 3. Consumer Reports ranks Tesla 21 out of 27 manufacturers in dependability. Lexus is #1. J D Power ranks Lexus #1 for seven straight years. The reviews I have read on the Model 3 including Road & Track are mediocre at best. Another factor about Tesla is I do not think they will be in business in the next year or so.

Tesla's stock is down 20% from it's high. It bonds are now graded junk. In the last four years it has lost over 3 billion. In fifteen years they have never come close to making a profit. Their 15th year was their worst year with a loss of 2 billion. They lost 777 million in the first quarter of 2018. Hilarious that unreliable and they do not even have an engine and a single speed transmission. Consumer Reports gave the Model X, their over $100,000 SUV, the lowest score in reliability. They listed their ten dogs to avoid based on reliability and the Model X is #1. Tesla owners are like your neighbor who just had to be the first one on the block with a HDTV. The rest waited and bought a much better and more reliable one for a whole lot less.

The last reason is that IMO the interior is uglier than a Mini Cooper and I did not think that was possible.
Old 06-16-18, 01:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I will be looking at the UX250h AWD in a few months as a commuter
Old 06-16-18, 04:01 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I will be looking at the UX250h AWD in a few months as a commuter
what will be the starting price for hybrid awd?
Old 06-16-18, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As a personal daily-driver, I wouldn't buy or lease any Tesla product. Too risky.....I don't think the company is going to last much longer as an automaker as we know it. It may (?) survive as a maker of advanced batteries and electronics for self-driving cars....selling the technology to others.

(please don't bring autopilot and other "tesla shortcomings" into this discussion
Sorry, but if we are going to give a straight answer to your original question, I don't see any way not to.
Old 06-16-18, 05:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
please don't bring autopilot and other "tesla shortcomings" into this discussion
How can you expect to have a real debate if we are not allowed to argue the "shortcomings" of one of the brands?

Perhaps I misunderstand you?
Old 06-16-18, 08:46 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

autopilot crashes and some other rumored issues are not real and cannot be used to argue against tesla
we can however compare interior, exterior and powertrain/mpg/horsepower
Old 06-16-18, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not really apples to apples. But I'd easily say the UX is a smarter choice. There's a lot of practicality, security, and reliability to be had with any Lexus SUV. And you just can't beat the amazing dealer treatment. The Tesla brand, and the new 3, are high risks. Yet another S burned in WeHo yesterday. Fire was concentrated underneath at the battery. Car was parked. Some actress's husband was the owner. No injuries thank goodness. I don't know about you, but I don't need added worry in my life when it comes to driving.
Old 06-16-18, 11:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Tesla stock is down 20% from its high? you should take a look at my portfolio

I think it is very short sighted to think that Tesla is now going to be around in a a year or two. The reason for the quick cash burn and and losses is because of the accelerated timeline Elon,a s a visionary, as pushed for in the company. Tesla has done amazing things in a very short amount of time and as long as they can keep pushing out those Model 3s, they should be making enough revenue to support the company. That is why it is critical to get the manufacturing streamlined. I think Elon mentioned that they will have positive gaap profit by 3rd quarter.

The funny thing is that those who placed their orders 3 years ago didnt have to. If you place an order today, and order the long range model, you can get yours in 3 - 5 months, which is about the same time as if you would special order a vehicle from Lexus or Mercedes. Though Tesla doesnt lease, I would probably get the Tesla and keep it for a few short years to try it out. 1) i like to support the under dog and prove the short interest parties wrong. 2) Ive been really bored at Lexus lately. I dont think anybody is really going to take a second look at your UX as it drives down the road, versus the Model 3. And personally, I have no qualms with the interior design.
Old 06-17-18, 03:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
How can you expect to have a real debate if we are not allowed to argue the "shortcomings" of one of the brands?

Perhaps I misunderstand you?
+1. If you want peoples' opinions, then you have to take them all.

Plus--it's an online forum. So not only is no one going to listen to a limitation like that, they'll go off topic and start bringing in other cars not listed.

Welcome to the internet, OP.
Old 06-17-18, 03:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
autopilot crashes and some other rumored issues are not real and cannot be used to argue against tesla
we can however compare interior, exterior and powertrain/mpg/horsepower
Rumor or not doesn't matter. If that's a reason someone doesn't want a Model 3, then that's the reason. If you don't believe it, then you don't have to accept that poster's opinion about the reason they would not buy it.
Old 06-17-18, 09:55 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I would buy almost anything other than a Model 3. Consumer Reports ranks Tesla 21 out of 27 manufacturers in dependability. Lexus is #1. J D Power ranks Lexus #1 for seven straight years. The reviews I have read on the Model 3 including Road & Track are mediocre at best. Another factor about Tesla is I do not think they will be in business in the next year or so.

Tesla's stock is down 20% from it's high. It bonds are now graded junk. In the last four years it has lost over 3 billion. In fifteen years they have never come close to making a profit. Their 15th year was their worst year with a loss of 2 billion. They lost 777 million in the first quarter of 2018. Hilarious that unreliable and they do not even have an engine and a single speed transmission. Consumer Reports gave the Model X, their over $100,000 SUV, the lowest score in reliability. They listed their ten dogs to avoid based on reliability and the Model X is #1. Tesla owners are like your neighbor who just had to be the first one on the block with a HDTV. The rest waited and bought a much better and more reliable one for a whole lot less.

The last reason is that IMO the interior is uglier than a Mini Cooper and I did not think that was possible.

lol.

OP I would take a Model 3 over a UX without a second thought. The Model 3 is significantly more advanced.
Old 06-17-18, 01:18 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The simple equation is comparing how many reserved orders of both cars.
Old 06-17-18, 01:50 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i would get a 3, not just because it's way better looking.

you hear about batteries exploding on impact, but have you heard of any breaking down for any other reason?

I'm willing to bet electric cars are simpler than combustion cars. No complex engines, no complex transmissions..
Those Consumer Reports reliability reports only talk about nitpicking stuff like fit and finish.

oh yeah, and the 0-60 times to merge onto the freeway and blow people's doors off.

Last edited by pman6; 06-17-18 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-17-18, 02:18 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

To directly answer the thread topic: No.

Don't want either. If my only choice of vehicle was a UX or 3, I'd take the Model 3. UX is wrong-wheel drive.

Quick Reply: would you buy a lexus ux or a tesla model 3