Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 BMW 8-Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 03:48 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
It is not. Dynamic force uses completely new tech other than high compression ratio. The sky-active tech is archaic compared to what Toyota has implemented in the dynamic force.
Toyota pays certain royalties to Mazda for patents registered while they were developing Skyactive. I don't know what they are but that is the info I have from my Mazda officer. If I were to assume the foundation of Dynamic Force is based on battletested Skyactive, but that is my assumption.
Old 06-18-18, 05:08 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Toyota pays certain royalties to Mazda for patents registered while they were developing Skyactive. I don't know what they are but that is the info I have from my Mazda officer.
That is not true, I firmly believe that. but if you have credible source I will gladly change my mind. It is actually Toyota that has provided Mazda with Hybrid Tech for certain cars overseas and is building a crossover for Mazda. An in turn Mazda has been building compact cars for Toyota in the U.S. one example so far is the model: iA.
Please read this article(page 06-09) that Mazda has published regarding the Toyota Partnership. http://www.mazda.com/globalassets/en...azdaar17_e.pdf

If I were to assume the foundation of Dynamic Force is based on battletested Skyactive, but that is my assumption.
Sky-active is a good tech, I don't disagree. But the Dynamic Force by Toyota is about 13-14 % more efficient and less complicated than Sky active. Here are some of the Tech that will be used by all Dynamic Force engines as per this article. https://www.theicct.org/blog/staff/t...y-leapfrogging

Start with the 2018 Camry. The Camry redesign included only modest weight reduction and the base engine did not include any kind of hybridization, not even a stop/start system. Yet the fuel economy for the standard engine improved by more than 20%. Toyota accomplished this primarily by developing an engine with very high efficiency (Dynamic Force Engine). The basic structure of very high compression ratio (13.0:1) and Atkinson cycle functions is similar to the Mazda SkyActiv engine, but Toyota leapfrogged it by adding a lot of small improvements, including:
  • Longer stroke
  • Widening the angle of the valves
  • VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing intelligent system by Electric motor) on the intake side – the electric motor provides better control than oil pressure
  • Combination of both higher-pressure direct fuel injection (DI) and lower-pressure port fuel injection (PFI)
  • Multi-hole (six per injector) nozzle direct injectors
  • Variable cooling system
  • Full variable oil pump
  • Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system
  • High efficiency intake port with laser-clad valve seats
Individually these improvements are small, but they add up. To illustrate the improvements made by Toyota, the chart below plots mid-size car fuel economy against the footprint-based fuel economy targets. The bold squares are 2010 fuel economy values (unadjusted test results), the lighter squares are improvements implemented in 2014, including the Mazda 6 with SkyActiv, and the round circle is the 2018 Camry. When compared against the Mazda 6 SkyActiv engine without the optional e-loop advanced stop/start system, Toyota has leapfrogged the efficiency of the Mazda SkyActiv system by about 14%. (A small part of the improvement is due to the 8-speed automatic transmission on the 2018 Camry.) In fact, the base 2018 Camry meets its 2022 fuel economy target without even considering off-cycle and air-conditioning efficiency credits, without a stop/start system, and with very modest weight reduction. Just maximizing the off-cycle (10 gram/mile CO2) and air conditioning efficiency (5 gram/mile CO2) “menu” credits would increase the 2018 Camry mpg by 3.9 mpg up to 50.0 mpg, just 0.4 mpg below its 2024 target of 50.4 mpg. The Camry can easily reach its 2025 target of 52.7 mpg with modest weight, aerodynamic drag, or tire rolling resistance reduction, adding a stop/start system, or even petitioning EPA for additional off-cycle credits beyond the ones listed in the off-cycle “menu.”
Old 06-18-18, 05:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Please get back on topic, the new BMW 8 series, for discussions about Toyota and Mazda, take it to pm if you like.
Old 06-18-18, 06:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The interior comments are basically the same LOL. The forums are lighting up with current owners weighing in as "they added 1 to justify the premium over the 7"
Added 1 what?

The car is smaller and lower than the 6series. That is a fact.

The dynamics are much improved. All the reviews have been extremely positive from the press.
Old 06-18-18, 06:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Porsche's interior has seen a pretty significant change over time. Porsche's current interior hardly looks like anything from the 2000s. However - BMW's interior design remained relatively similar.

I think the problem quite a bit of people are having with the 8 Series exterior and interior design is that it looks too similar to everything else on other BMWs. BMW does a problem, where majority of their cars start to look alike after awhile. Its typical design out in the front of the car with the typical A/C stack in the middle, the E-Gear, the iDrive, and some tablet screen. There's no soul or craftsmanship in the design like the LC.
Besides additions of technology - the overall layout and design is the same of the 911 interior.

Go look at E46 3 series and F30 3 series.
e39 5 series vs G30 5 series etc....
All Evolutionary updates that get better and better.
Old 06-18-18, 09:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Added 1 what?

The car is smaller and lower than the 6series. That is a fact.

The dynamics are much improved. All the reviews have been extremely positive from the press.
Well a new product usually means better performance, but in regards to the interior and somewhat to the exterior dont seem like they reinvented the large body gt segment with the release of the new 8 by the comments. A common comparison of the 6 being redesigned or mild improvement is what I gather from reading the linked thread. Not stating that the lack of reinvention means the product is inherently flawed or vehicle handles like a tricycle...
Old 06-18-18, 04:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Besides additions of technology - the overall layout and design is the same of the 911 interior.

Go look at E46 3 series and F30 3 series.
e39 5 series vs G30 5 series etc....
All Evolutionary updates that get better and better.

I'm not saying the BMW designs are not getting "better". They are obviously "better" than before. (Better in quotes because its subjective. Different people will see it differently)

I was only saying that BMW designs seem to stay relatively similar on the outside and inside so much that they don't seem to have much soul in their craftsmanship. I think this is one of the reasons why people don't like this BMW 8 Series design.
Old 06-18-18, 06:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

I'm not saying the BMW designs are not getting "better". They are obviously "better" than before. (Better in quotes because its subjective. Different people will see it differently)

I was only saying that BMW designs seem to stay relatively similar on the outside and inside so much that they don't seem to have much soul in their craftsmanship. I think this is one of the reasons why people don't like this BMW 8 Series design.
Most BMW designs are timeless.

Even out of the current lineup, all the M cars look
amazing to me: M2, 3, 4...X5M, X6M
Mperformance models: M240i, M550i, M760i
i8 is one of the most futuristic designs still today.

Most BMWs are well designed without exaggeration therefore the designs still look fresh for many years.
Everytime i see E46 or E92 coupe they still look modern and fresh.

The 8series has gotten positive reception just not in this thread.
Old 06-19-18, 05:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the older ones were timeless, E46 era, the current ones not so muchso

8 series will look as timeless as the current gen mustang. LC500 still has dramatically better looks
Old 06-19-18, 06:38 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The new 8 series looks nice though obviously a safe BMW design.

Its not something that is highly desirable though.

I think they had an opportunity of a lifetime to really send a message about their brand with the highly anticipated 8 but short changed themselves with what is essentially a GT sized 4 series.
Old 06-19-18, 10:10 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The new 8 series looks nice though obviously a safe BMW design.

Its not something that is highly desirable though.

I think they had an opportunity of a lifetime to really send a message about their brand with the highly anticipated 8 but short changed themselves with what is essentially a GT sized 4 series.
Exactly what I felt about the 8 Series. I think it looks like a 4 Series as well.

Being the 8 Series was hyped up, they could have used this platform and hype to introduce a fresh design with some soul craftsmanship to really wow the auto-world. But - they did another BMW safe design.
Old 06-22-18, 05:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

It will be interesting to see if BMW follows up with the rumoured 8 Series 4 Door Coupe.

Old 06-22-18, 05:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

^looks way to angry to be a real production model. They`ll tone that one down if anything. There is a leaked patent image around the interwebs recently, and dont know if it was the patent design image issue but it looked really dis-proportionally ugly. Again who knows
Old 06-22-18, 06:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Bavarian Mustang Works
Old 06-22-18, 10:46 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

look how much was lost in translation....

Quick Reply: 2019 BMW 8-Series