Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5-10mph over or go the speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 02:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i saw that steve said they were trolling, the very same steve who has in the past criticized me for being too much of a speed demon lol... i've read enough of his posts to know he's very articulate, well-spoken, and thorough with his posts, so if he of all people is calling OP a troll since they're seemingly continuing to resist logic, i'm gonna go ahead and agree there's something not right here...

yes, you absolutely should have no problem if you're going the speed limit... but then how come, for instance, people going through intersections can get t-boned by people running a red light that should have stopped? why do people get DUIs since if they're over the legal limit should be taking a cab or letting someone else drive? it's ok and safe because it's legal isn't a good argument. considering the speed limit could be increased by 10 mph the very next day, are all those reckless lawbreakers now suddenly responsible good natured samaritans?

if you really believe that, come spend some time on the long island expressway. the majority of it is an 8-lane wide arrow straight road that has a 55 mph limit the whole way, and people will literally swerve around you and flash the brights if you sit in the middle lane doing 55. including large 18 wheelers. traffic regularly (depending on time of day) flows at 65-80 mph and someone doing 55 will massively disrupt all the other cars. even highway patrol late at night will do like over 100 mph for some stretches. that's seriously not an exaggeration lol...
None of the above, I am not trying to argue against. Whether or not someone thinks the speed limit should increase or decrease is of no consequence to me. I have no issue going the speed limit wherever I am, I have never felt unsafe going the speed limit wherever I am drive.

If a drunk driver is going the speed limit, and so are you, both participates have a better chance of walking away from an accident if speeds are limited. Same thing for that semi travelling 55mph or whatever. Do you not agree?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-18 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 05:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

yea those deer can really sneak up on you on some of these out west interstates...
Not all of the West has limitless visibility alongside the roads. Large sections have forests.
Old 06-22-18, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
None of the above, I am not trying to argue against. Whether or not someone thinks the speed limit should increase or decrease is of no consequence to me. I have no issue going the speed limit wherever I am, I have never felt unsafe going the speed limit wherever I am drive.

If a drunk driver is going the speed limit, and so are you, both participates have a better chance of walking away from an accident if speeds are limited. Same thing for that semi travelling 55mph or whatever. Do you not agree?

^^^^^ Exactly.
Old 06-22-18, 05:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Just thought of this, what would happen if people just exercised their best judgement, and drove at a velocity at which they felt comfortable? This isn't even as complicated a topic as Goldilocks and the Three Bears and the temps of the porridge
Old 06-22-18, 07:20 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Just thought of this, what would happen if people just exercised their best judgement, and drove at a velocity at which they felt comfortable? This isn't even as complicated a topic as Goldilocks and the Three Bears and the temps of the porridge
95mph was to fast for the little bear amd 55mph was to slow but 75 mph was jusssssssssst right lmao
Old 06-22-18, 10:58 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i totally agree, my point is that what people should do and what they actually end up doing are often different things. I'm just saying that doing the speed limit no matter what on some roads can create a more hazardous condition rather than just going with traffic flow. which, on the Long Island expressway is often 15-20 mph over the speed limit.
Old 06-22-18, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just saying that doing the speed limit no matter what on some roads can create a more hazardous condition rather than just going with traffic flow. which, on the Long Island expressway is often 15-20 mph over the speed limit.
I am not trying to be difficult in any way. However, I simply to do understand how anyone could possibly be safer exceeding a posted maximum speed limit. I do not see how “not” exceeding the maximum speed can make you more at danger and more at risk. If you can explain, I am all ears.
Old 06-22-18, 12:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I am not trying to be difficult in any way. However, I simply to do understand how anyone could possibly be safer exceeding a posted maximum speed limit. I do not see how “not” exceeding the maximum speed can make you more at danger and more at risk. If you can explain, I am all ears.
In so-cal, if the traffic is flowing around 75 mph, and you are the only one doing 65, people are literally swerving around you at crazy speeds. Doesn't matter what lane you are in, you are the one in danger. You are putting yourself and the crazy road ragers at risk. Sorry but that is how it is here. Its far safer to just go with traffic flow around 70-75 mph than 65.
Old 06-22-18, 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
In so-cal, if the traffic is flowing around 75 mph, and you are the only one doing 65, people are literally swerving around you at crazy speeds. Doesn't matter what lane you are in, you are the one in danger. You are putting yourself and the crazy road ragers at risk. Sorry but that is how it is here. Its far safer to just go with traffic flow around 70-75 mph than 65.
^^^ this sounds like an exaggeration. Sorry. To suggest the whole highway is doing 70-75 across all lanes sounds absurd.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 12:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

^^^ this sounds like an exaggeration. Sorry. To suggest the whole highway is doing 70-75 across all lanes sounds absurd.
Sorry but true. Others that live here can attest that i-5 through camp Pendleton has 5 lanes where the left is easily averaging 90mph and the right lanes are averaging 75 mph especially in the evenings. Its the cars doing 65 that are the odd *****. I've trailed cops mostly doing 80 mph.
Old 06-22-18, 01:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sorry but true. Others that live here can attest that i-5 through camp Pendleton has 5 lanes where the left is easily averaging 90mph and the right lanes are averaging 75 mph especially in the evenings. Its the cars doing 65 that are the odd *****. I've trailed cops mostly doing 80 mph.
I hear what you are saying. But it Still sounds absurd that there are no speed abiding citizens on a 5 lane highway.
Old 06-22-18, 01:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

you have never driven in CA then.

I use my cruise control set at 75 every night coming home from work and I camp out in the #3 lane, I am passed pretty regularly by people doing 80+ the HOV lane users pass me like I'm standing still. 90+ would be my guess. I work off hours and drive against the rush hour traffic (go opposite of the congestion), and this is the norm. The 3 highways I take during the hours I take them I would estimate the average speed is 80 or there about except for the far right lane where people are entering and exiting..

I've been passed my Highway Patrol with my Cruise set on 75, without a second glance by them.

the flow is the flow, doesn't matter if it is 40mph or 80mph, maintaining pace with the flow is the safest why to drive, so much so that 37 of 50 states now have laws dictating such. "Slow Moving Traffic", "Impeding Traffic" and "driving less than the normal speed of traffic," Laws, while some refer to them as Left Lane Passing Laws, others dictate that the apply to all lanes, depends on your state and the Vehicle Code in your state..

bottom line for all of them is this, if you are driving slower that the pace of the rest of the traffic then you must be in the far right (enter/exit) lane.. Impeding the flow will get you cited even if the flow is exceeding the post speed limit.

Even liberaltastic California has a Left Lane Law, however here it only applies to Rural areas, in Urban areas all lanes have a absolute speed limit applicable to all lanes all the time on highways (passing lane laws doesn't apply in Urban areas), and on city streets the "basic speed law" applies, which broadly states that you must drive a speed safe for conditions regardless of the posted limit.. if it is foggy or raining, you can receive a ticket for unsafe driving even if you are at or below the posted limit, if your speed is considered to be a hazard those conditions. Example, we have a road locally that as a posted speed of 50mph, 4 lane bi-directional road with no center dividers or
partitions, it is close to the beach so in the morning it is foggy and damp, anyone going over 35mph in the posted 50 zone will be cited.. My niece once was cited for doing 25mph on it because of posted zero visibility warnings...
Old 06-22-18, 01:35 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
or the 241 and 133 Toll Roads, where less than 90 will get you run off the road, especially if you are stupid enough to be camped out in the left lane doing 65mph.

or the 5-freeway Tejon Pass (aka "the grapevine") 11 miles with a 6% descent, how many 50 plus car pile ups have occurred because the Semi's are governed at 55mph and the average speed on that pass in 2012 was 79mph..
Old 06-22-18, 02:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with Jill on this. The key for drivers going the speed limit, or lower for whatever reason, is to keep to the right. Keep repeating, slower traffic keep to right. There are good reasons that some drivers or their vehicles shouldn't be doing 10, 20, 30 over the speed limit. One size doesn't fit all in either case.
Old 06-24-18, 06:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Touches upon this thread...I'm going to the gym this morning around 7:30. That's not early, but it is a little early on a Sun. I am behind this Mercedes going about 10-15 under the limit. I am resolved not to get upset, it's way too early.

He turns and I notice the bad body work on his left side, and wouldn't you know, he turns into the gym. All the while he's doing like 20 in a 35?

Since I park far away, we meet at about the same time. He is walking very slowly, head down, looking at his cell. I go to pass him and he accelerates like a 2018 Grand Sport? As soon as I get back behind him, he resumes the snails pace. Sorry, I decided to pass him in the hallway, at this point I am getting irritated.

What gives? I mean it's funny when we watch this on Curb Your Enthusiasm, but in real life, it's quite odd. But understand, these folks do drive cars.

Quick Reply: 5-10mph over or go the speed limit?