Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5-10mph over or go the speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 02:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

If politicians really cared about safety and not BS speed traps to generate revenue then they would make getting a driver’s license much more stringent. They should also require a recertification every 5 years in addition to drug testing.

In the end they rather put speed / red light cameras everywhere to tax you.
Old 06-20-18, 03:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you believe that if you're on a roadway where everybody else is going 80, and you're going 65, that you are not a road hazard I really don't know what to tell you. You can't be so arrogant as to actually believe that EVERYBODY else on the road is a hazard except for you, when you're the one thats not uniform with the rest of the traffic. Theres just no logic in that belief.
I don't believe I've seen this posted in this thread, so I apologize if it has.

This happened in Indiana a couple days ago: https://www.theindychannel.com/news/...-the-left-lane

Reasoning behind ticket, from the officer: "The spirit of the law is that since many people drive well above the speed limit, it creates an “accordion effect” as traffic starts backing up behind the slower vehicle," Wheeles tweeted. "This is where many of our crashes occur on the interstates. It’s all in the name of safety."

Bottom line, don't impede traffic by driving the speed limit in the left lane.
Old 06-20-18, 09:35 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If politicians really cared about safety and not BS speed traps to generate revenue then they would make getting a driver’s license much more stringent. They should also require a recertification every 5 years in addition to drug testing.

Or people can just listen to the law.

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't believe I've seen this posted in this thread, so I apologize if it has.

This happened in Indiana a couple days ago: https://www.theindychannel.com/news/...-the-left-lane

Reasoning behind ticket, from the officer: "The spirit of the law is that since many people drive well above the speed limit, it creates an “accordion effect” as traffic starts backing up behind the slower vehicle," Wheeles tweeted. "This is where many of our crashes occur on the interstates. It’s all in the name of safety."

Bottom line, don't impede traffic by driving the speed limit in the left lane.
I don't understand why you felt the need to post that. Its common sense and the law to not drive in the left lane unless passing. The only people who Ive seen driving in the left lane are minorities, old people, women, and clumsy looking people, lol.
Old 06-20-18, 10:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Or people can just listen to the law.I don't understand why you felt the need to post that. Its common sense and the law to not drive in the left lane unless passing. The only people who Ive seen driving in the left lane are minorities, old people, women, and clumsy looking people, lol.
Minorities? Really? I see way more self righteous non minority a$$holes policing people from speeding
Old 06-21-18, 05:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I don't understand why you felt the need to post that. Its common sense and the law to not drive in the left lane unless passing. The only people who Ive seen driving in the left lane are minorities, old people, women, and clumsy looking people, lol.
So, which category do you fit into?
Old 06-21-18, 05:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I agree with the incompetence, but I am also pro rlcs and actually not for speed cams unless there would be a 11 mph leeway like MD. Should a rlc fine be $560 like it was in CA? No, the punishment should fit the crime. Should your DL be suspended when a school bus driver reports that you blew his reds? I don't think so based on it being the bus driver's word. But if the bus had a stop arm cam, absolutely. DC/MD folks can chime in, but the overall behavior with the cams is different, than without, correct? I know that when I drive in DC, there are so many cams that I simply obey the law, end of story. DC does not give you 11 mph over.

But there are many cases of govt. incompetence, look at Seattle. Look at Phila. Look at NJ. Look at NY. Look at NYC. How about the 23 cent gas tax in NJ such that gas is more in NJ today, than VA, and now there is talk about increasing the sales tax, when decreasing it was part of the 23 cent gas tax being passed? And doesn't the gov. pay 200k in property tax on his house, which would indicate that he can relate to the peasants? lol

Ontario people can chime in. Why do you obey the law? How come when I let you cross my path and make a left turn, there is a 100% rate at which people give a thank you wave? Was it always that way, or does enforcement of the law have something to do with it?

His annual property tax is over $204k lol and my buddy in boston complains about his being 63k

https://www.app.com/story/news/polit...ll/1043799001/
Old 06-21-18, 05:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Minorities? Really? I see way more self righteous non minority a$$holes policing people from speeding
Good one lol.
Old 06-21-18, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Or people can just listen to the law.
I'm not going to blindly follow a law that makes me less safe and that makes no sense.

Its an insult to the citizenry for them to establish a law the goal of which is not to make us safer, but is to generate revenue. When they set an arbitrary speed limit on a roadway that is considerably below the average speed driven on that roadway they aren't doing so to make us safer.

He posted it because it was germane to what I was talking about.

You'd think so, but thats just not the case nowadays. Its rare anymore in the areas I drive to see anybody yield the left lane when they are traveling slower than traffic, people always have to pass on the right. I'm getting ready right now to leave on a 5 hour road trip, I GUARANTEE I will come across dozens and dozens of drivers driving in the left lane for no reason, requiring people to pass them on the right. Its an epidemic.

In any event, you're just trolling with this thread anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-21-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 06:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Why should the good drivers have to recertification every five years? You’re idea is not a good one. Many people do not need more stringent licensing. There are many purple like myself who follow the laws and are good drivers.
Old 06-21-18, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Why should the good drivers have to recertification every five years? You’re idea is not a good one. Many people do not need more stringent licensing. There are many people like myself who follow the laws and are good drivers.

When I was an active pilot, I went through Annual (sometimes Bi-Annual) Flight Reviews/Checkouts by a qualified Flight Instructor or FAA Flight Examiner, and had to pass a medical examination each year or two besides. I have to agree with some of the earlier posters....that's part of the problem. You and I may indeed be good drivers (I pay some of the lowest rates of insurance possible)...but there are a lot of incompetent people out there behind the wheel that the system just rubber-stamps every few years, when their license expires, with little or no actual examination. In my state, you once had to look into one of those little colored-dot scopes and tell the examiner what you saw.....now, they don't even do that any more, at least the last time renewed my license.

Having said that, I also have to agree with much of what theory816 posted...I think that the remark that he is trolling is simply wrong. We don't always have to agree with posted speed limits, or think they are appropriate for conditions. But that's not our decision to make...just like the number of flight reviews or medical examinations I had to take was not mine to make when I was flying. Like it or not, in all 50 states, a Driver's License, like an Airman's License, is legally a privilege, not a right. When you sign for one, you agree to follow all Federal, state, and local traffic laws rules whether you agree with them or not. That's not only my $.02..but the law itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-18 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 07:06 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't say I'd vote for a bill requiring regular recertification, if that was on the ballot.

However, I can see some benefits of some type of regular training. Maybe a video/class to renew. Maybe you get a discount on your license if you do it. Maybe something offered by auto insurance companies for a discount on insurance?

I don't have confidence it would be administered well, but if it was... I'd love to see stuff like.
New tech in the last 5-10 years and suggestions how to leverage. Run-flats, TPMS, Autopilot does not mean you can sleep in the trunk.
Law changes.
Reminders on persistent issues of the decade. Merging behaviors, keep right except to pass, roundabouts (new to our area and apparently confusing?)

I'm sure the state would love to get their hands on people from time to time to tweak behaviors on the street over time.
Old 06-21-18, 08:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Huh? If anything, I can say this - I don't think I have ever seen a teen or early 20's-looking person doing this. But, it seems like people of any color, gender, or age do it. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it won't happen. Just depends. Don't judge people based on their identifying features.

Besides I would argue it ISN'T common sense, given how rampant the problem is.
Old 06-21-18, 03:50 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

this thread is really quite ironic considering OP is statistically the biggest threat to road safety here

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-car-bra...vers-462822107

if it weren't for the RX i'd think starting this thread was for the purposes of trolling as well lol
Old 06-21-18, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

if it weren't for the RX i'd think starting this thread was for the purposes of trolling as well lol
I don't get why people are calling the original poster a troll?
Old 06-21-18, 04:11 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't get why people are calling the original poster a troll?
Its because of just the thought of going the speed limit at all times makes them sik. People in general just don't have the patience to learn a bit more about driving.

To be honest I was a bit sad about being called a troll. Its absolutely uncalled for.

Quick Reply: 5-10mph over or go the speed limit?