Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5-10mph over or go the speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 01:18 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
drivers being either oblivious (not checking their rear) or purposeful a-holes. Ive read about how some cops pulled over left lane lollygaggers and the drivers admitted they drove slow to "stop others from speeding" If you want to stop people from speeding, get a damn badge.
most states have a law for slower traffic stay right. its as well known as using your blinker to change lanes or turn. people who don't use their turn signals especially when turner are the worst.
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Old 06-17-18, 11:32 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I can think of MANY in the US. Have you ever been out west? Flat, straight roads with nobody around...easily safe for speeds well higher than 80MPH.
and he lives in florida! the highways there are basically runways
Old 06-17-18, 11:57 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by theory816
I maintain the speed limit at all time. Give me a good reason why you shouldn't also.
it can occasionally be dangerous to do so (flow of traffic is faster), and life is just too short to not use some of mankind's brilliant creations in a manner they were intended to be. we're all born with adrenal glands, and i refuse to let mine wither away when a section of empty open road presents itself, road conditions are good, and i'm in the mood. the engineers in japan and germany who respectively designed the vehicles i have to be among the top performing in their class, and i'd almost call it disrespectful to not put their efforts to use at least a little bit. if i drive 50 in a 40 zone i'm technically breaking the law, and now a hazard. but, lets say the village decides to make the road a 50 zone, is going 50 now totally fine? by this logic why don't we set the speed limits everywhere at 10 mph since it would be really safe.

oh and like others have mentioned, (maybe with some irony) my car can go from 0 to 100 in about 9 seconds, and it's 8 piston front calipers will bring it back to 0 in only half as much time as it got to 100 so i think i can "risk" the extra 10 mph over the limit. and also for the record, i've never had an accident and currently have a totally clean no points license. go with the flow of traffic, minimize disruptions, keep to the right, don't drive too fast for conditions, and everyone will be safe and get where they need to in a timely manner.
Old 06-18-18, 05:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
..........and smooth, too, because of the warm climate and lack of salt/freeze-thaw cycles creating cracks/potholes. That's one other thing that has to be taken into consideration with higher speeds......greater impact (and more potential suspension wear) over bumps.
Old 06-18-18, 11:10 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..........and smooth, too, because of the warm climate and lack of salt/freeze-thaw cycles creating cracks/potholes. That's one other thing that has to be taken into consideration with higher speeds......greater impact (and more potential suspension wear) over bumps.
You're all misinformed. I lived in NY and know what freeze thaw pot holes are but now that I live in Florida I see a lot of pot holes in roads here. I'm not sure what causes them. My guess is that the road base is compromised by the heavy rains here and washes the soil/sand under the pavement. Heavy trucks pound this and the pavement sinks. There are many new highways here you are probably thinking of when you vacation here that are smooth but get off the main roads and you'll see them.
Old 06-18-18, 11:17 AM
rogerh00
Racer

I can think of MANY in the US. Have you ever been out west? Flat, straight roads with nobody around...easily safe for speeds well higher than 80MPH.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
You both don't get it. Sure you can go 100mph on a flat straight road but then what do you do when a 30 mph curve comes up and you not paying attention. Good luck.
Old 06-18-18, 11:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,501 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I do a ton of road testing for automotive innovations. You can usually find me on State Line. Though I must say that I ignore the pre face lifted IS because its an ugly car, lol.

like most folks, I use to go 10-15 over. Then I had a revelation one day: where i'm going isn't all that important. Plus the slower I go, the safer I am, within the speed limit of course. Its just not worth it to speed, overtake, give someone the stink eye, brake, just so I can make it to McDonald's 5 minutes faster. Im not trying to be a holier than thou kind of guy, but random experiences has led me to my current driving style which I believe is to be the safest.
My car is beautiful, but thanks.

I was most pulling your leg. I generally just go with the flow of traffic but have a strict policy to not go more than 10 over. If I find I am passing everyone or get held up, I start to wonder if they know something I don't and slow down.

Another thing to consider is that KC traffic isn't really as intense as most other metros. Have you ever driven in Atlanta? If you just "maintain" the speed limit there, you might get shot, lol.

Also, good to see more KC peeps around here.
Old 06-18-18, 11:39 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogerh00
You both don't get it. Sure you can go 100mph on a flat straight road but then what do you do when a 30 mph curve comes up and you not paying attention. Good luck.
firstly, if you're going 100 mph and not paying attention you shouldn't be allowed to drive... secondly, i don't know of any major interstate with a 65+ mph speed limit that suddenly drops to a 30 mph curve so quickly you wouldn't be able to notice and stop in time. and if you're on a road with a 30 mph curve coming up you'd be a major pos to be doing over 100 mph AND not paying attention. nobody is saying to drive through town at autobahn speeds, but it is absolutely possible to safely travel at 100+ on a major interstate in florida and many other places in the US with the proper vehicle. germany has proved it for decades, the only thing really making it potentially unsafe here is that drivers are often oblivious and don't adhere to proper lane etiquette.
Old 06-18-18, 01:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

What's never mentioned is that highways are designed to a "design speed". This determines the geometry the road is built to, degree of curve, horizontal and vertical, grades , sight distance. etc. So no matter how well a driver you think you are or how good your car may be if you drive over the design speed your risking yourself and others. I know of no public highway that is designed to be operated at 80 mph or higher safely.

On the other hand, speed limits are political and are artificially low to appease a certain element in some areas
there are plenty of 80-85mph limits around Texas

Heck highway 130 that bypasses austin has an 85 mph speed limit
Old 06-18-18, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS ]
Show me an interstate highway that has a 30 MPH curve. They don’t exist, they’re not allowed to exist. There are highway administration guidelines for how slow a curve speed advisory can be relative to the de facto speed on the highway.

And the roads I’m talking about have no curves, they’re flat and straight for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Plus, curves with speed advisories are marked.
Old 06-18-18, 06:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

So my dad just came back from vacation in Germany.
He got an S63amg to drive around. He has S550 here. My dad is not into cars and doesn’t speed much.
He drove the car at 220km/h (about 135mph) on the Autobahn. He said it felt like going 50mph, he was shocked how capable the car is. He mostly just sits in bumper to bumper traffic in NYC lol. But he was MOST impressed by the No speed limits, no cops, no traffic and best of all NO accidents!
Old 06-18-18, 10:17 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
He got an S63amg to drive around. He has S550 here. My dad is not into cars and doesn’t speed much.
He drove the car at 220km/h (about 135mph) on the Autobahn. He said it felt like going 50mph, he was shocked how capable the car is. He mostly just sits in bumper to bumper traffic in NYC lol. But he was MOST impressed by the No speed limits, no cops, no traffic and best of all NO accidents!

Feel free to correct me if im wrong but I believe the reason why the autobanh has no speed limit is because there's little to no on ramps. Also it seems like the citizens of Germany go through better driving courses? They might be better trained? Some folks, not the ones here, are saying that speeding isn't inherently dangerous. Foreign objects on the road which will show up sooner or later will make speeding dangerous. So in the context of driving, speeding is inherently unsafe.

Last edited by theory816; 06-18-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Feel free to correct me if im wrong but I believe the reason why the autobanh has no speed limit is because there's little to no on ramps. Also it seems like the citizens of Germany go through better driving courses? They might be better trained? Some folks, not the ones here, are saying that speeding isn't inherently dangerous. Foreign objects on the road which will show up sooner or later will make speeding dangerous. So in the context of driving, speeding is inherently unsafe.
It's true, at least to some extent, that Germans are better-trained as drivers. But that still does not overrule the laws of physics. All else equal, the faster you go, the longer it will take to safely stop pr slow down, and the more severe and destructive an impact will be if one does have an accident.
Old 06-19-18, 05:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
We have relatives that live in Munich. I find them funny. Wake up 8 AM, hit the fridge and start drinking. They are very good drivers, but they are honest. When there is an accident on the autobahn, there tend to be fatalities. Anyway my wife's uncle being a BMW tech (he hates working on German cars, loves American cars lol--I say this is grass is greener in action), explained it well. He said the reason BMW does pads/rotors at the same time is we stop repeatedly 200+ km/hr, and you don't. So you can do pads only if you really want to. Funny, BMW started doing that in the USA imho as they went mainstream. And I hear they no longer include it in free maintenance, probably another reason as customers not willing to pay on leased cars.

A E63s AMG wagon passed us on Sunday with that crackle sound. I told my wife that thing has 604 HP? She said it looks so ordinary. Exactly!
Old 06-19-18, 06:35 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Show me an interstate highway that has a 30 MPH curve. They don’t exist, they’re not allowed to exist. There are highway administration guidelines for how slow a curve speed advisory can be relative to the de facto speed on the highway.

And the roads I’m talking about have no curves, they’re flat and straight for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Plus, curves with speed advisories are marked.
I used a 30 mph curve as an exaggeration to get your attention. Here's an interstate with a 35mph curve I found on google in 30 seconds. This is marked well but it still is called dead man's curve in Cleveland. There are plenty more, mostly in the east I'm sure. Plus there all kinds of exit ramps with tight curves where many have gone off the road speeding for not slowing down enough for the curve.

Quick Reply: 5-10mph over or go the speed limit?