Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Never buy Good Year tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 08:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's what they are (now) saying, but I'm not convinced. I've had literally dozens of plugs, in a number of different kinds of tires and different tire-brands, driven hundreds of thousands of miles on them, and I have never had one fail. Of course, I've never had a patch or plug done on the part of the sidewall above the tread pattern...that is risky, and, yes, can fail....in that case, you need a new tire. Most shops won't patch the sidewall area (due to flex) and tires won't pass a state safety inspection that way. But I'm not convinced that patches are as necessary as often as they are now saying....it adds time and labor, and allows the shop to charge more for a simple tire repair. It can also mess up the balance/runout if the shop doesn't keep the balance machines calibrated correctly (not all of them do)....after a dismount and inside patch, the tires have to be re-balanced, and the tire-pressure sensors re-installed correctly, or the tire PSI indicators won't work. Given a choice, where feasible (and, of course, sometimes inside patches are actually needed), I'll take a simple plug any day.
Discount Tire provides free flat repairs.

Slapping plugs in a tire will affect tire balancing.
Old 06-19-18, 12:58 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Well flats are common and happens to all brands. However, if you get Goodyear tires, you will generally have bad years. Stick to Michelins.
Old 06-19-18, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

No offense.....but sorry, that's nonsense. Small rubber plugs don't weigh enough to affect balance....particularly if the rubber compound is heated up/melted/sealed properly in the puncture-hole. I know....I've had a number of plugs, with no trouble at all.

What DID affect tire balance was the old type of self-sealing tire, where you had the semi-liquid goop-coating inside the tire that clung to nails, screws, etc....and prevented them from making a complete puncture. That coating had a tendency to slide around the inside of the tire, form highs and lows, and continually mess up the balance, which is why those type of tires generally aren't produced any more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 06:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Discount Tire provides free flat repairs.

No offense.....but sorry, that's nonsense. Small rubber plugs don't weigh enough to affect balance....particularly if the rubber compound is heated up/melted/sealed properly in the puncture-hole. I know....I've had a number of plugs, with no trouble at all.

What DID affect tire balance was the old type of self-sealing tire, where you had the semi-liquid goop-coating inside the tire that clung to nails, screws, etc....and prevented them from making a complete puncture. That coating had a tendency to slide around the inside of the tire, form highs and lows, and continually mess up the balance, which is why those type of tires generally aren't produced any more.
If the tire was plugged from the inside by removing from the wheel, plugging and replacing on the wheel, the tire should be re-balanced.
Old 06-19-18, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
If the tire was plugged from the inside by removing from the wheel, plugging and replacing on the wheel, the tire should be re-balanced.

I agree....but I wasn't referring to inside patches. I was talking about the old, simple way of inserting the plug on the outside and sealing it with the heating-iron. There's no way in Hades that is going to affect the balance. The tire doesn't even come off the rim.
Old 06-19-18, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,804 Posts

A plug can absolutely effect balance...
Old 06-19-18, 07:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So Good Year Riddance to the Good Year (Goodyear lol) Eagle RS-A tires and hello to my new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. Was gonna get them installed at Costco (where we did our Matrix tires) but the next service appointment was 2 weeks away. Sadly I missed the Michelin $70 rebate as that ended 8 days prior. Oh well. I ended up getting them done late in the evening at the Toyota dealer where I get my cars serviced, they actually price match tires but they were actually cheaper than Costco or Canadian Tire.

Now all four of our vehicles are riding on Michelin tires ❤️ Seems like MXV4 are highly rated and the new MXM4 tires are also great but they were an extra $45 per tire.

Lets knock on wood that I have no more flat tires.
beware, the mxv4 michelins will develop small sidewall cracks if you don't drive a lot. ozone cracking.

I hardly drive my continental tires, and they never developed ozone cracks.
Old 06-19-18, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A plug can absolutely effect balance...

Not a simple one on the outside. I haven't seen one do it yet in 40 years. Other types of patches....maybe, under some circumstances.
Old 06-19-18, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not a simple one on the outside. I haven't seen one do it yet in 40 years. Other types of patches....maybe, under some circumstances.
Sure it can, just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean it can’t happen.
Old 06-20-18, 09:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,689 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Michelin Primacy MXV4 is not a great tire, and yes they do develop sidewall cracking. If I had to choose between them and Goodyear Assurance Tripletred I'd take the Goodyear's.
Old 06-20-18, 09:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Michelin Primacy MXV4 is not a great tire, and yes they do develop sidewall cracking. If I had to choose between them and Goodyear Assurance Tripletred I'd take the Goodyear's.
I think Michelin is notorious....seen it on Latitude tires at the GMC dealership, and Michelin said NORMAL. Google it and your browser will explode. Looks like dangerous dry rot, Michelin says no. They recalled a bunch of tires as well, and excluded others.

Now my wife has Premier and it's like the tread shreds, maybe it's made of sunflowers or something to save energy, but it is truly bizarre. Others state the same on this very forum but say why worry still has a 60k warranty. Last time the GM dealer said they needed replacement soon and they had 21k! lol cuz they start at 8.5/32 not 11 like most.

Old 06-20-18, 10:39 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Saw the back-and-forth regarding tire patching and re-balancing, so I took the initiative and called my local Les Schwab tire center here in Lake Oswego. Great guys, free flat repairs, they really hustle (I suspect they get a piece of the gross sales).

Anyway, the fellow who answered the phone (Darren) said that they never patch from the outside because the result is not as foolproof as taking the tire off the wheel and working from the inside. It also gives them a chance to inspect the inside surface all around. BUT he additionally said there is no need to re-balance for a 1/4 oz patch. Instead, they mark the location of the valve stem before dismounting, then re-mount for the same position.
Old 06-20-18, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't, at all. The MXV4s are much smoother and quieter than the TripleTred which is a pretty hard and loud tire.
Old 06-20-18, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If I had to choose between them and Goodyear Assurance Tripletred I'd take the Goodyear's.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn't, at all. The MXV4s are much smoother and quieter than the TripleTred which is a pretty hard and loud tire.
Goodyear, some years ago, used to make a pretty nice tire (by my standards) called the Regatta. It was smooth, quiet, comfortable, and reasonably long-lasting. I put a set on them on my 1995 Celica (which I bought brand-new) after only 14,000 miles on the original factory set of Goodyear Invicta tires, which, IMO, were simply garbage.....they were feathered and howling with road noise after only about 10,000 miles or so, even with careful wheel alignment. Even the service people there at Toyota said they were garbage..they replaced many of them early. Finally, I had enough of them, and asked Goodyear to replace them under warranty. The Goodyear shop refused, but offered me a nice pro-rated discount on a new set of Regattas, so, I did some research on the Regattas, and liked what I saw. Unfortunately, I don't think the Regattas are in production any longer, at least in the U.S.
Old 06-20-18, 04:42 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 is a "Luxury Performance Touring" (according to Michelin) tire, so it would have been designed for smooth, quiet rides.

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred is one of the first in the "All Weather" type of tire, built for better traction in colder conditions than normal all season tires. It has a longer tread life warranty (80,000 miles / 130,000 km) compared to the Primacy MXV4 (60,000 miles / 100,000 km). To achieve the longer life and with the special 3-zone (Water, Ice, Dry according to Goodyear) all weather tread, it rides on a harder, more aggressive tread, making it rougher-riding and noisier than the MXV4.

The Primacy MXV4 and TripleTred are not directly comparable tires.

Quick Reply: Never buy Good Year tires