ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Fastest depreciating cars (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/891552-fastest-depreciating-cars.html)

Diesel350 06-14-18 10:57 AM

Fastest depreciating cars

Notice no Japanese models on the list.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21515/t...-on-the-market

Stroock639 06-14-18 11:23 AM

eyyy there's my boy in #3 lol... that certainly helped me out

bagwell 06-14-18 11:27 AM

Here are the top 10 fastest depreciating cars along with their percentage of how much value they lose in three years. Remember, the average for all vehicles is 35 percent.
  1. BMW 5 Series - 52.6 percent
  2. Volkswagen Passat - 50.7 percent
  3. Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 49.9 percent
  4. BMW 3 Series - 49.8 percent
  5. Ford Taurus - 49.7 percent
  6. Chrysler 200 - 48.4 percent
  7. Volkswagen Jetta - 48.1 percent
  8. Audi A3 - 47.9 percent
  9. Cadillac SRX - 47.2 percent
  10. Buick Enclave - 46.8 percent

Johnhav430 06-14-18 12:03 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if a person owned 4 cars on the list...lol

At the same time, wouldn't it make you smart if you did, and you bought used?

Thought it was common knowledge that a Mercedes Benz could be as little as 10% of its MSRP, when over 10 y.o.? Yet, they are beautiful cars.

Then OP threw in avg. is 35%, and that is very useful info to put things into context.

bitkahuna 06-14-18 01:05 PM

the full story... https://www.iseecars.com/best-used-bargains-study

if depreciation is calculated from msrp then the 'study' is bogus because msrp is now what people actually spent originally. also, a huge percentage of those german luxury cars are acquired on subsidized leases where the driver couldn't care less about depreciation.

the article even talks about leasing effects:

As the number of off-lease vehicles continues to rise, a new study by car search engine iSeeCars.com reveals which late-model used cars are the best deals for consumers looking to purchase an almost-new vehicle. While the average vehicle depreciates 35 percent after three years, these highest-depreciating vehicles lose between 46 percent and 52 percent of their value, resulting in significant savings for consumers opting to buy a three-year-old vehicle in favor of a new one.

“The rising popularity of auto leases in recent years has led to an influx of cars coming off lease, creating the opportunity for consumers to find bargains on late-model vehicles,” said iSeeCars CEO Phong Ly. “Consumers who take advantage of these best bargains can purchase a three-year-old car for half the price of what it would cost to buy the same car new.”
another thing is if the 'study' is about 3 year old cars, it doesn't factor in whether a model was REPLACED during that time. so for example, the buick enclave is new for '18 but a 3 year old one is the last version which looks positively ANCIENT compared to the new one and so plummets in value.

but let's not let details get in the way of a good virtue signalling thread... :p

mmarshall 06-14-18 01:52 PM

I'm surprised that any SUV is on that high-depreciation list, at least in the American market. The Cadillac SRX, to some extent, though, I can understand. The last-generation version was awkwardly-styled, not particularly impressive inside (IMO), and doesn't drive as well as its XT5 replacement. Compared to the SRX, the newer XT5's only significant problem is the electronic joystick shifter, which takes some time to get used to....yep, the same one I have in my Lacrosse.

Fizzboy7 06-14-18 01:56 PM

Everytime I see these lists, the first thing that pops into my head is are these cars overpriced for what they are to begin with? I'd say many on the list are, especially from the luxury makes. The lesser ones are either not built well or just less desirable.

mmarshall 06-14-18 04:27 PM

Chrysler 200 - 48.4 percent
The latest version of the 200, IMO, especially with the optional V6, was, IMO a pretty nice mid-sized sedan. It was (unfairly, IMO) saddled with the rental-grade reputation of its predecessor 200, Cirrus, and Stratus models....in fact, even calling them rental-grade was probably more than they deserved. The last major redesign of this car, like with some other Chrysler products, improved it tremendously....but the public is very unforgiving of the past, even when it is no longer warranted.

Hoovey689 06-14-18 04:43 PM

No Jaguars? I'm surprised.

mmarshall 06-14-18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 10224737)

I think the main reason you don't see Jags on the list is that, in the U.S., they don't sell very well even as new vehicles, so there simply isn't a glut of them on the used-car market, even with low demand. Depreciation, of course, comes mainly from supply vs. demand in the used-carmarket.

Hoovey689 06-14-18 05:32 PM

I remember a few years ago seeing the depreciation on a Jaguar and thought it was the equivalent of jumping out of an airplane with an anvil on your back :p

mmarshall 06-14-18 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 10224771)
I remember a few years ago seeing the depreciation on a Jaguar and thought it was the equivalent of jumping out of an airplane with an anvil on your back :p

At one time, in fact not that long ago, especially under Ford ownership, Jags were somewhat more popular than they are today. Despite its iffy build quality (I did a review and was not impressed), the compact, Ford-Mondeo-dervied Jaguar X-class, with its standard AWD, sold fairly well in my area (D.C. suburbs). I suspect that, not only the transfer of the company to India's Tata Motors, but the demise of the nice classic wood-and-leather Jaguar interiors, cost them a significant amount of sales. IMO, with the possible exception of the XJ sedan flagship, the interiors of today's Jags are mostly a joke.

Sulu 06-14-18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 10224737)

A close #11 or #12 on the list?

Hoovey689 06-14-18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sulu (Post 10224809)
A close #11 or #12 on the list?

Could be hiding, like Jaguars do :p