Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ISF or IS350 + Weekend/Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 01:31 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ISF or IS350 + Weekend/Project Car

All,

I'm sure this thought has passed through quite a few people's heads, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I am trying to choose between owning the all around awesome Lexus ISF (2010+) or keep my IS350 and buy a project/weekend car on the side. This project car would most likely be a 03/04 Cobra that is ready to drive on day 1, but would allow me to do mods and work on as a project. Most likely would go to the track occasionally, but would mostly be used for just cruising on nice days and taking to car shows. And a side note, I will probably be starting a family in a few years, so a 4 door vehicle is a necessity. My thinking goes as follows:

Own just a 2010+ Lexus ISF - This car is fast, luxurious, sounds good, and holds its value well. I would be expecting a price tag of around $30,000 and expensive upkeep given it will be my daily driver (12,000-14,000 miles per year). The brakes and tires for this car alone need to be replaced every 20,000 miles and cost about $1000 and $1200 respectively to repair (or so I've read). Not to mention the 10 quart oil changes every 5000 miles. In the end, this is an expensive car to maintain even if there are no major repairs to be done. But since I want (need?) a faster car than my IS350, I wonder if the ISF alone is the best choice. After trade in value of my IS350, this would leave me with a ~$450/month loan payment.

Keep my IS350 and buy a 03/04 Cobra - My IS350 is still a fun quick car with a nice interior. It has treated me very well, and I don't think the resale value accurately reflects how good of a car it is. At 155,000 miles, I know I can only get like $5k trade in or $7k selling it privately. It would just seem like such a waste selling such a good, reliable car for so cheap, and it's already paid off. Not to mention I am still getting 30 mpg on the highway and if taken care of this car should have another 100,000 miles in her. I have seen plenty of cobras online for $20k in good condition and minimally modded. With the pulley upgrade and exhaust, it'll be just as fast as an ISF, give or take. This combination will give me a lower $400/month loan payment, but I will have to pay insurance on two vehicles, pretty much having those costs break even.

In the end, it's really hard for me to decide between two cars that do their respective things very well (daily reliability of the IS350 and the speed/sounds/looks of the Cobra), and one car that does everything well (ISF!). I think the costs may actually be slightly cheaper for the two vehicle combo given brakes and tires for those other two cars should last longer and be cheaper to replace. It also seems odd paying a $20k-$25k upgrade to go from the IS350 to the ISF. If I'm being honest, that is really my only holdup with going the ISF route. The fact that my interior and everything will be pretty much the same, I am just getting an extra 100hp, and better looks. I don't track my cars, so the way better suspension and transmission will be nice but kind of pointless in my daily life, even though I am very aware that the technology there is phenomenal for the price.

Let me know your thoughts or anything that I'm missing. Thanks guys and gals!
Old 06-13-18, 01:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd keep the 350 and buy a a differernt weekend/project car; I'd prefer something like a Vette tho over a Cobra. I wouldn't want to pay to maintain the IS F as a daily driver.

or find a super low priced IS F https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=ISF
Old 06-13-18, 01:46 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Based on reading your assessment of both options, it looks like option #2 would be the better choice.
Old 06-13-18, 06:44 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That rebuilt title scares me!

And the weird thing is that I know that option #2 would probably be the wiser option, but I can't help to think I'll regret not getting the ISF. But if I get the ISF, I think I might regret paying $20,000 just to save half a second to 60mph and 1 second in the quarter mile, which I probably won't do but once a year anyways. Obviously no one can make this decision for me, just hoping I could hear some stories and opinions of others who have been in this position.
Old 06-13-18, 07:47 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The steering on the ISF is not great, and the tranny is always searching for an answer and never finding one.

The IS350 is a great car.

I vote for keeping it and finding a fun second car.
Old 06-14-18, 01:25 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the ISF is a special car. As some others have said I'd keep your car and pick up a project car. Maybe even an ISF
Old 06-14-18, 02:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd keep what you have and buy a weekend car. I know you like your IS350, but me personally the styling just leaves me cold, even with a honking V8 under the hood.

I know you said 03-04 Terminator Mustang Cobra. Have you actually driven one yet?? The ergonomics in that car, seats, shifter position, relation to the pedals/steering wheel are horrible. Maybe you'd fit better, but I could never get comfortable in that gen Mustang. But yeah they look cool and have one hell of an engine under the hood.

C6 Corvettes are getting stupid cheap now days. Corvette owners are generally older, take great care of their cars and don't daily drive them, finding nice ones is very easy.

Take a look at this ad. Low miles, convertible, 6 speed manual, 430hp, 3200lbs, bright orange, yeah I'd buy that if I had a spare 23k lying around.

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ct...602477714.html
Old 06-14-18, 06:28 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

It depends on what you want. If you want a project car that you can take to the track and runs 10’s than get the IS350 and mod the Mustang. I think there some misconceptions about the IS-F maintenance costs. For example you can do the brake pads yourself and get brake pads as cheap as $40. Rotors can be had for a few hundred bucks on EBay. The IS-F is probably the best all round sports car you can buy to daily drive.
Old 06-15-18, 06:18 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosillo
That rebuilt title scares me!

And the weird thing is that I know that option #2 would probably be the wiser option, but I can't help to think I'll regret not getting the ISF. But if I get the ISF, I think I might regret paying $20,000 just to save half a second to 60mph and 1 second in the quarter mile, which I probably won't do but once a year anyways. Obviously no one can make this decision for me, just hoping I could hear some stories and opinions of others who have been in this position.
1 sec is 10 car lengths in the 1/4 mile, lol.
Performance isn't remotely close between the 2 cars. Once you have an F, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner!!! Nothing out there like it with an overall package. Amazing what around $25k-$40k can get you vehicle wise these days!
Get the F and don't look back. Very cheap to maintain, honestly.

V.
Old 06-15-18, 02:55 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

personally, i like having two cars. daily one and race the other. my situation was reversed though. i have had my wrx for 10 years, it is modded to the point where i did not like daily driving it anymore, so i bought an old legacy to daily for a while. it was too slow and old, so i sold that and picked up an 06 sc430. i contemplated selling the wrx and legacy to get a better/faster car than the sc430, but im happy with my decision. similar to you, i would not get the money back from selling the wrx that i have put into it.

the sc430 is a great daily since i use it freeway commuting. smooth, reliable v8 power, and the two door/no space thing does not bother me since im just going to work.

i drive the wrx once a week now. it gives me more joy to drive now that it is only for pleasure,and am not so worried about something breaking or the harsh suspension/straight pipe daily driving it. also, it does not hurt that my new daily is a v8 haa

it can be stressful knowing your daily is expensive to maintain, and you wont have a backup if something does happen.

plus, your lexus is already paid off.
Old 06-17-18, 10:59 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I still think the IS-F is the best single car I've ever driven in terms of the total package of what it can offer. The problem is, as OP has found out, when multiple cars are an option. The big negative is the additional cost - insurance, registration, garage space, maintenance/service esp. if you don't drive your secondary much, etc. - but it looks like OP has considered all these.

Given OP's situation, I'd go with the IS350 and another car. One advantage of this is that since having a family is in your near-term future plans, it will be easier to transition out of that if you wind up feeling like you need something bigger than an IS as your DD. You will also save on the transactional cost of getting rid of your current car.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The steering on the ISF is not great, and the tranny is always searching for an answer and never finding one.
Strange. I found the 2011+ IS F steering (ECU revamp that year) to be the best in any sedan I've ever driven, although I've never driven the more expensive performance sedans (like the Panamera/Rapide etc.) Yes, better than the E9x M3, which I have driven back-to-back. I also think the transmission is one of the best automatic transmissions ever. One additional benefit of the IS-F is that the rear suspension, while still more iffy than I'd like, is much, much better than the setup in the base 2IS.

Last edited by gengar; 06-17-18 at 04:44 PM.