Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Lexus but with Acura like market positioning and products. Oh you know it's coming! They can't market nor move affordable RWD models and they will be all gone soon. One more generation for IS and RC and they will call it a day in small car RWD program. That's what Acura did: oh this one doesn't sell, cancel it! And that's how Acura became premium Honda. You don't cancel the models that don't sell you improve them until they do.
Acura never had any RWD sedan models. I'm also not sure what products they cancelled, they have a product in every segment they've competed in historically.
Old 07-19-18, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Acura never had any RWD sedan models. I'm also not sure what products they cancelled, they have a product in every segment they've competed in historically.
Frist Gen NSX was rear wheel drive. But I get what you mean. No mainstream RWD.
Old 07-19-18, 07:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I saw a red Acura Legend coupe a few days ago - that car still looks so good.
Acura has no coupes at all now, also they had Type S variants for CL, TL, RSX etc I believe which actually had performance enhancements and manual option.
Acura lost its way when they dropped Legend name for RL.
Old 07-19-18, 07:57 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The NSX is a mid-engine, RWD car, with a transaxle. Acura does not have any front-engine / front-transmission, RWD cars.
Old 07-19-18, 08:50 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Acura had longitudinally engine mounted FWD cars that had RWD proportions and competed well with RWD cars at the time and they killed that platform off.

Acura had a Legend coupe and CL coupe that they killed off and now have no coupes, the had a TL and TSX that they more or less combined into one model, Acura had the Integra/RSX sport hatches that they killed off. They killed the ZDX but it did not sell. They clearly don't have a product in every segment they've competed in.
Old 07-19-18, 09:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Its not an important segment as they won’t make money in it.
The GS sold pretty well up until the 2016 where sales fell drastically after the update. They will make money if they build a car that sells, it is a very important segment. It is important in the luxury market to have a mid sized RWD competitor.

Their lineup is going to be odd if they get rid of the GS, they will have a small RWD sedan, medium sized sedan based on a Avalon then you will have a huge gap and increase in price to a LS that is not even selling that well. They will have 2 RWD coupes that don't sell in big numbers and 2 RWD sedans where only one sells pretty well. They need a GS in the US and they need to make one that sells better.
Old 07-19-18, 09:40 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The GS sold pretty well up until the 2016 where sales fell drastically after the update. They will make money if they build a car that sells, it is a very important segment. It is important in the luxury market to have a mid sized RWD competitor.

Their lineup is going to be odd if they get rid of the GS, they will have a small RWD sedan, medium sized sedan based on a Avalon then you will have a huge gap and increase in price to a LS that is not even selling that well. They will have 2 RWD coupes that don't sell in big numbers and 2 RWD sedans where only one sells pretty well. They need a GS in the US and they need to make one that sells better.
You make some interesting points. I don't think there is anything wrong with the GS except for the fact that it doesn't sell as well as others in the segment! Its got a great balance of sporty/luxury with a multitude of offerings with the Lux pkg, hybrid, F-Sport and GS F variant.

I admit it is sad to think that a great mid sized luxury car like the GS doesn't sell well in its segment maybe because another car in the brand's lineup cannibalizes its sales (ES) or because buyers may just go for a comparable 5 series/E Class/A6 simply because of brand cachet. If they discontinue the GS, maybe it will come back in the future when the time is right (e.g. when they stopped production of the SC the RC made its debut about 3 years later).
Old 07-19-18, 09:47 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What about that new Crown concept? Wasn't it said on here that the GS is closely related to the Crown? If so, wouldn't the fact that there appears to be a next gen Crown, mean that a next gen GS is still in the cards?

I agree that abandoning the mid level RWD luxury sedan market would not be a good move. Even if it doesn't make a ton of money, having a competitive product in this segment helps the perception that Lexus is a full-line lux make.

IMO, despite selling well, the lower transaction prices that the FWD based Lexii is causing them to lose market positioning. In the long run, products like the UX and NX cause more harm than good for the positioning of the brand.
Old 07-19-18, 09:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,500 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
What about that new Crown concept? Wasn't it said on here that the GS is closely related to the Crown? If so, wouldn't the fact that there appears to be a next gen Crown, mean that a next gen GS is still in the cards?

I agree that abandoning the mid level RWD luxury sedan market would not be a good move. Even if it doesn't make a ton of money, having a competitive product in this segment helps the perception that Lexus is a full-line lux make.

IMO, despite selling well, the lower transaction prices that the FWD based Lexii is causing them to lose market positioning. In the long run, products like the UX and NX cause more harm than good for the positioning of the brand.
The Crown isn't just a concept anymore, either. I am seeing lots of videos of driving impressions and a few articles talking about its debut.

For instance, https://drivemag.com/news/new-toyota...ybrid-variants

This info only adds to your argument that a GS is feasible!
Old 07-19-18, 10:10 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The Crown isn't just a concept anymore, either. I am seeing lots of videos of driving impressions and a few articles talking about its debut.

For instance, https://drivemag.com/news/new-toyota...ybrid-variants

This info only adds to your argument that a GS is feasible!
The powertrains are really interesting and seems to fit well in this segment. The lower grade hybrid would be a good alternative to my car the 530e, and the higher grade hybrid would do well vs the 540i. Throw in the GSF powertrain for a M550i competitor. Use a similar interior to the LS and call it a day.
Old 07-19-18, 10:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I look at it more in line of what Toyota did with their Tundra. They deleted the regular cab and limited availability of the 4.6 across the range and they have deleted the V6....Also with their Sequoia, they deleted all availability of the 4.6 V8. I think we will just see the GS-F carry on for the next one or two model years and they really want the domestic made ES to succeed at all costs.
FYI they did the same thing with the 2019 manual for the RC. They took the RC300/350 off, though it still clearly covers those two cars. There have been no rumors that I've found about the RC living on in 2019 as only an RC F model.

I would not be surprised to see these manuals updated once they release the 2019 models of the GS300/350 and the RC300/350.
Old 07-19-18, 10:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
FYI they did the same thing with the 2019 manual for the RC. They took the RC300/350 off, though it still clearly covers those two cars. There have been no rumors that I've found about the RC living on in 2019 as only an RC F model.

I would not be surprised to see these manuals updated once they release the 2019 models of the GS300/350 and the RC300/350.
Thanks for looking. Never thought about looking at those cars.
Old 07-19-18, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Also not a sedan

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I saw a red Acura Legend coupe a few days ago - that car still looks so good.
Acura has no coupes at all now, also they had Type S variants for CL, TL, RSX etc I believe which actually had performance enhancements and manual option.
Acura lost its way when they dropped Legend name for RL.

I agree 100%
Originally Posted by UDel
Acura had longitudinally engine mounted FWD cars that had RWD proportions and competed well with RWD cars at the time and they killed that platform off.
But they didn't have RWD cars. The statement was that Acura had RWD cars and killed them off and that isn't accurate.
Old 07-19-18, 11:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJLex19
You make some interesting points. I don't think there is anything wrong with the GS except for the fact that it doesn't sell as well as others in the segment! Its got a great balance of sporty/luxury with a multitude of offerings with the Lux pkg, hybrid, F-Sport and GS F variant.

I admit it is sad to think that a great mid sized luxury car like the GS doesn't sell well in its segment maybe because another car in the brand's lineup cannibalizes its sales (ES) or because buyers may just go for a comparable 5 series/E Class/A6 simply because of brand cachet. If they discontinue the GS, maybe it will come back in the future when the time is right (e.g. when they stopped production of the SC the RC made its debut about 3 years later).
I don't think there is anything wrong with the GS either, it got off to a pretty good start. I am one of the few that was not nuts over its interior. Problem is compared to the ES it does not offer much to the avg buyer to justify the premium. To me and enthusiasts it does but there just are not enough of us to get the sales it needs. It was a mistake to drop the semi affordable V8 option for the GS, to use a carryover 6 cylinder for so long, and to add a 4cyl nobody was asking for. The styling update with the big grill is not eveyrone's cut of tea either. They either need to lower the price of the GS over the ES to get more sales while giving it a little more luxury like making the luxury package more standard or much more affordable or they need to really knock the GS out of the park to justify its premium and give it its own unique styling., interior, etc.
Old 07-19-18, 11:57 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi
Lexus but with Acura like market positioning and products. Oh you know it's coming! They can't market nor move affordable RWD models and they will be all gone soon. One more generation for IS and RC and they will call it a day in small car RWD program. That's what Acura did: oh this one doesn't sell, cancel it! And that's how Acura became premium Honda. You don't cancel the models that don't sell you improve them until they do.

He meant that Acura stopped producing premium quality long wheelbase with a longitudinal engine mounted behind the front axle seeking near 50/50 weight distribution.
Nowadays, Honda & Acura have even stopped producing front double wishbone suspension in favor of cheap single lower link MacPherson struts.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world