Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 12:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
E class sales now includes the coupes though, whereas the previous generations E class sales #'s were sedan only, and they reported the CLK/CLS coupes sales separately.
5 Series sales figures have always included wagons, though 5 Series wagons sold in only very small numbers, yet 2003-10 5th gen E60 peaked at 57k units/year, while the 2010-17 6th gen F10 5 Series was able to rise in sales to 60k+/year USA.

Thus, regardless of the extra availability of body styles like coupes & wagons [which didn't account for much volume anyway], sales of 5 Series still rose during the successive era, while 4GS sales fell by a whopping 30%.
Old 07-20-18, 01:58 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Acura never had any RWD sedan models. I'm also not sure what products they cancelled, they have a product in every segment they've competed in historically.
Exactly. Neither will Lexus in one more generation. Only flagships will remain RWD.
Old 07-20-18, 05:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Well at least the GSF will survive 1 more year.
The 10th Anniversary edition with Blue interior is the best GS ever made, so at least it goes out in style. For those in the market and can find one, definitely get it.
Old 07-23-18, 11:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
5 Series sales figures have always included wagons, though 5 Series wagons sold in only very small numbers, yet 2003-10 5th gen E60 peaked at 57k units/year, while the 2010-17 6th gen F10 5 Series was able to rise in sales to 60k+/year USA.

Thus, regardless of the extra availability of body styles like coupes & wagons [which didn't account for much volume anyway], sales of 5 Series still rose during the successive era, while 4GS sales fell by a whopping 30%.
Looking at the current promotions and incentives, it is ez to see why sales fell off a cliff while the GX is setting sales records of its own.
Old 07-23-18, 02:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I'm not sure if this is true, because the previous generation of ES/GS like 2006-12 5ES & 2005-12 3GS - both models sold well.
Also, the 1996-01 3ES/2001-06 4ES and 1998-05 2GS - both ES and GS sold well too.

For some reason whatever, 4GS fell relative to its predecessors.

If I'm not wrong, the V8 sold in only small numbers.
2.0T is the way to the future, like it or not.
IMO, a lower price is not needed.

IMO, 4GS reverted to the old tall & boxy spacious practical design, when the market swung back to 3GS's low rounded swoopy design - hence sales down.
IMO, it needs to be better styled - like the forthcoming low swoopy 7ES...
The 8 cylinder GS's sold in much higher numbers then the hybrids, that goes for all of the market, you can basically count on one hand the number of hybrid GS's, 5 series, E class, etc sold each month. Nobody buys them, buyers still choose 8 cylinders when available and even high performance versions of those sedans over hybrids yet they keep coming out with hybrids nobody buys. I don't think styling had much to do with GS sales at first because sales were good at first and most said it is a nice looking car, the 5 series and A6 is no looker either. Jag makes nice swoopy sedans and they don't sell.

The 2016 styling update, putting a 4cyl as a base engine, raising price on the 6 cylinder, taking away good lease deals/regular deals is when sales of the 4th Gen GS collapsed. The big problem is you pay too much more for a GS over a ES when they are pretty similar especially now that you only get a 4cyl with the base GS and the ES is a 6 cylinder. A 8 cylinder option for the GS would have made it more distinctive and desirable over a ES.

Buyers are not desiring 4 cyl turbo's in mid sized luxury sedans, it is more it is the only entry choices they are being given mainly by the Germans and the cheap lease deals are the 4 cylinders, Caddy dropped their 4cyl turbo from the CT6 because sales were so poor and it did not suit the car.
Old 07-23-18, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Buyers are not desiring 4 cyl turbo's in mid sized luxury sedans, it is more it is the only entry choices they are being given mainly by the Germans and the cheap lease deals are the 4 cylinders, Caddy dropped their 4cyl turbo from the CT6 because sales were so poor and it did not suit the car.
One would think not, but the Lincoln MKZ mid-sized sedan seems to sell with a base 2.0T. I agree, though.....that was one reason why I did not get one....I initially liked the 2017 mid-cycle refresh, but the MKZ does not offer a N/A V6, and I don't think that a base 2.0T belongs in a car of that class.
Old 07-23-18, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One would think not, but the Lincoln MKZ mid-sized sedan seems to sell with a base 2.0T. I agree, though.....that was one reason why I did not get one....I initially liked the 2017 mid-cycle refresh, but the MKZ does not offer a N/A V6, and I don't think that a base 2.0T belongs in a car of that class.
MKZ is in a different class than the GS.
Old 07-23-18, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
MKZ is in a different class than the GS.
True, but we all know the true reason that the small turbo fours are proliferating where V6s and V8s used to be.....CAFE. That's one reason why I hope that the Trump Administration is successful in rolling back the latest bump in the CAFE standards.
Old 07-23-18, 11:40 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but we all know the true reason that the small turbo fours are proliferating where V6s and V8s used to be.....CAFE. That's one reason why I hope that the Trump Administration is successful in rolling back the latest bump in the CAFE standards.
Would be nice, but probably gonna have to get past that big loony state that starts with a C first.
Old 07-23-18, 11:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Buyers are not desiring 4 cyl turbo's in mid sized luxury sedans, it is more it is the only entry choices they are being given mainly by the Germans and the cheap lease deals are the 4 cylinders
Disagree. until recently the mid size mercedes e class could ONLY be bought/leased with a turbo 4 and sales were still great. i also expect 'buyers' are buying/leasing way more audi and bmw 4 cyl than anything else these days,
Old 07-24-18, 09:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Disagree. until recently the mid size mercedes e class could ONLY be bought/leased with a turbo 4 and sales were still great. i also expect 'buyers' are buying/leasing way more audi and bmw 4 cyl than anything else these days,
Of course the 4cyl E class sold great when the new gen came out, it was the only E class you could get at first, they are buying and leasing more 4 cylinders because the 4 cylinders are the cheapest ones and the good lease deals. Once you step up to a 6 cylinder the price is much much higher and there aren't great lease deals for the 6 cylinders. Jumping from a 4 to a 6 carries the same general premium what upgrading to a 8 cylinder from a 6 cylinder used to be which is why many just get the 4 cyl.

If the price was the same or within less then $1000 for a 4cyl or 6cyl I doubt many buyers would choose the 4cyl over the 6 especially in a mid size luxury car.
Old 03-27-21, 01:25 PM
GS350Miami
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Former GS owner here

Former GS owner here. Boy, I miss her. Happy with my RX350 f sport but have to admit that the GS is one to remember. Today, coincidentally, I saw one GS in atomic silver go by looking classy and almost timeless. Nightfall mica (like my old car) was also another great color. I hope Lexus brings back something along the lines of GS.
Old 03-27-21, 05:07 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Miami
Former GS owner here. Boy, I miss her. Happy with my RX350 f sport but have to admit that the GS is one to remember. Today, coincidentally, I saw one GS in atomic silver go by looking classy and almost timeless. Nightfall mica (like my old car) was also another great color. I hope Lexus brings back something along the lines of GS.
hope so as well, leased_owned 4 GSs since 2008, love the car! Perfect balance of luxury n sport, it was neglected for 5 years which is why it sold poorly, look at all the hype n promotions now on the IS350, selling very well.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world