Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 08:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think what mmarshall was getting at was that for some reason, Lexus gives customers another midsize sedan option to think about, one that is far cheaper than the GS. That option is in addition to possibly just getting the more affordable IS instead. Since the current GS doesn't have an awful lot more features compared to the IS and to an extent, not a ton more space, spending extra money on it is dubious. Even the aging Audi A6 is probably a better buy in terms of feature content, and cheaper options like the ES and G80 are more comfortable in terms of ride quality (I've driven the three). I think the GS could be great, but it needs the new tech and platform from the new LS.
To a certain extent, this is about brand popularity vs driving purists and car critics. The issue here is this: a rwd car simply drives different from a fwd car. That's just how it is with some buyers. If all drivers want is luxury and brand, then any of these cars fulfill the requirement. If you really want a car that has luxury and some sporty dynamics, that's a rwd car. Audi gets around it with a longitudinal drivetrain and awd. Lexus hasn't done that with the ES, so that left the GS. Guess it didn't work out in Europe. IMO, not the same group of buyers.
Old 03-27-18, 08:28 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's OK. US production will stop soon enough.

the GS just can't compete. It's just the awkward one in the class. Not the most powerful, certainly not good looking either.
Old 03-27-18, 09:23 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sadly, I dont even care if they cancel it. They dragged their tail for so long, and their two last models were so disappointing that GS doesn't even matter anymore.
i know what you mean, the GS 400 was quite literally the fastest 4-door automatic production sedan back in 1998 (title eventually taken by the E55, thank you very much ), and now the entire model as a whole seems to be just clinging to existence. honestly with all the cars being turbo everything now, the good ol' N/A V8 just doesn't have that low end satisfying shove that the turbo cars do. when you go from a car with turbos to one without it will feel sluggish, so in a sense i feel the GS is bringing an M1 Garand to an AK-47 fight.
Old 03-27-18, 09:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i know what you mean, the GS 400 was quite literally the fastest 4-door automatic production sedan back in 1998 (title eventually taken by the E55, thank you very much ), and now the entire model as a whole seems to be just clinging to existence. honestly with all the cars being turbo everything now, the good ol' N/A V8 just doesn't have that low end satisfying shove that the turbo cars do. when you go from a car with turbos to one without it will feel sluggish, so in a sense i feel the GS is bringing an M1 Garand to an AK-47 fight.
People don't buy a N/A V8 just for power, but refinement as well. That's what I suspect is going to cost the new twin-turbo V6 LS500 in sales compared to the former LS460. Of course, continued production of the LS is not threatened like it is with the GS.
Old 03-27-18, 09:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People don't buy a N/A V8 just for power, but refinement as well. That's what I suspect is going to cost the new twin-turbo V6 LS500 in sales compared to the former LS460. Of course, continued production of the LS is not threatened like it is with the GS.
True, but its not like they put the 4 pot in the new LS. Its been done before with other marques and knowing how Toyota as a company enjoy the master of none branding they`ll be fine.
------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to the GS, take it for what you want. If you want the GS to fail, well adds one more straw in your hat, if you feel this is their way of getting ready for the next gen, hey you have one more string to cling on to.

I betcha though the GS comes back as a powerhouse to the 5 and E class and still wont sell well and mags will sing praises, or if the GS comes back as a floppy T**** it still wont sell well and auto mags and posters out there will give it hell.

With the ES still alive and mimicking the GS size but being more of a value proposition, the GS is kinda murky territory.
Old 03-27-18, 11:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Strange..on my trip to Europe last month, I saw plenty of newer GS in Paris. However, in Amsterdam and London, there were none.

This generation of the GS is just a lost cause at this point. The GS200t is woefully weak, the GS350 well outdated in it's powertrain, and the F cannot compete with the AMGs / Ms of the world.

I always loved the original GS300 and the crazy barnstormer of the GS400, but unfortunately Lexus has left it to languish since then.
Old 03-28-18, 12:23 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
well i mean other than just the F models, and while we may love the characteristics and sound of a N/A V8 i'm afraid there just aren't enough others to meet sales targets.

but take the GS 350 f sport for instance, for essentially the same money (just slightly more) you can have the totally new E400 which is very nice and also has a V6 but with 2 turbos. driving the GS after that would just seem heavy and unimpressive, and i love the 2GR it's a fantastic engine. it's honestly probably the one i'd go with were i to buy it and own it for awhile, but the majority of people in a position to buy one of those cars would probably be leasing it anyway and be more impressed by the E-Class.
Old 03-28-18, 04:20 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
It's OK. US production will stop soon enough.

the GS just can't compete. It's just the awkward one in the class. Not the most powerful, certainly not good looking either.
Also agreed. The ugly grilles just ruined it. I like the GS before the grille facelift was added.
Old 03-28-18, 04:26 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Long live the 2GS - definitely a future Lexus classic with the V8 in original GS400.

Lexus messed by not offering 4GS with V8 option and a carry over underpowered V6.
Then years later they introduced a GSF which was REALLY underpowered and overpriced.

Its like they did everything possible to setup GS for failure.

Lexus had cancelled so many models - SC, HS, ISF, IS conv, CT and now GS.....while Germans keep adding new ones.
Old 03-28-18, 05:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I guess I look at it differently, exactly the way people seem to view the 2019 3 series having no manual (speculation for the USA bound ones). They say, good riddance! I say wth has the 3 series buyer become?

I don't feel the GS would be missed in any way, but I can relate that folks who own it would feel differently. But in reality, what is good about the vehicle? Go back to 1998, and you better believe that was one h*** of a car (GS400 or GS300).
Old 03-28-18, 06:40 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Long live the 2GS - definitely a future Lexus classic with the V8 in original GS400.

Lexus messed by not offering 4GS with V8 option and a carry over underpowered V6.
Then years later they introduced a GSF which was REALLY underpowered and overpriced.

Lexus had cancelled so many models - SC, HS, ISF, IS conv, CT and now GS.....while Germans keep adding new ones.
Sales of V8 in GS were in a domain of standard error. You also have to keep in mind that Lexus in early '00s was run and designed by mega-bean-counters so no wonder 3GS debuted with old V8. My thinking is that bean counters have suspended or slowed down the power unit development and pretty much killed off any new generation V8 due to hybrid investment which utterly failed just like V8. They simply didn't have a proper V8 to put in 3GS nor 4GS. While old school V8 kind of made sense in a luxury barge LS (that debatable too) in GS it was nothing but an outdated engine. IS-F engine was someone's baby or an experiment that was not certified for adoption. It took Lexus 10 years to adopt it across the range.

What's encouraging is that 4GS has outsold 3GS so far worldwide.
Old 03-28-18, 06:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Problem with the Germans is they've diluted the marques. Meaning, you and I know a C430 AMG is not an AMG, but many people do not. Many people do not know a M235i is not an M--why wouldn't it be? Don't you see the M logo on the floormats? Or that a M2 despite not having a S motor (I'm going to call it that anyway), is for all intents and purposes an M. Even Porsche, why build non S vehicles? imho it's all to appeal to a broader market. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, as my dad explained it to me, peasants could not possess these vehicles, it took a significant downpayment. The car mfgs are designing products around the $0 / $0 / $0 / $0
Old 03-28-18, 07:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Sales of V8 in GS were in a domain of standard error. You also have to keep in mind that Lexus in early '00s was run and designed by mega-bean-counters so no wonder 3GS debuted with old V8. My thinking is that bean counters have suspended or slowed down the power unit development and pretty much killed off any new generation V8 due to hybrid investment which utterly failed just like V8. They simply didn't have a proper V8 to put in 3GS nor 4GS. While old school V8 kind of made sense in a luxury barge LS (that debatable too) in GS it was nothing but an outdated engine. IS-F engine was someone's baby or an experiment that was not certified for adoption. It took Lexus 10 years to adopt it across the range.

What's encouraging is that 4GS has outsold 3GS so far worldwide.
It doesnt help that they crippled the V8 so as to have some separation between it and the LS, which was dumb.
Old 03-28-18, 07:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Been saying it since forever. Once they add AWD to the ES, they wouldnt be able to sell a single GS and it was dumb to have 2 sedans in the same segment.
Old 03-28-18, 07:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

This is evidence of the mindset being carried over from Toyota. Unpopular models with no volume will get the ax. Thats why Lexus still has a ways to go in catching up to the Germans. Luxury cars are not always about volume. Lexus has to learn to cultivate, grow and improve their models and not only keep what sells.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world