Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?

Old 06-12-18, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?

Ok, we were at a car meet this evening. There were a few Ferrari’s and a number of Corvettes.

Lets factor out pricing or value and badging, so let’snot mention prices.

Could the 2019 ZR1 be better engineerd compared to a current Ferarri? It sure looked like a ZR1 in fact is. If you took the badges off, the ZR1 appeared superior. Thoughts?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-12-18 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 07:42 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Point 1: The vette provides a fast ride for the price but better engineering and an OHV engine does not compute.

Point 2: Just look at the Detroit GP, the guy guns the vette a bit and it loses it's tail, goes into the wall and delays the race.

Point 3: Your mind realized how goofy the question was to start with, and caused you to make multiple typos when you wrote it.
Old 06-12-18, 07:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Point 1: The vette provides a fast ride for the price but better engineering and an OHV engine does not compute.

Point 2: Just look at the Detroit GP, the guy guns the vette a bit and it loses it's tail, goes into the wall and delays the race.

Point 3: Your mind realized how goofy the question was to start with, and caused you to make multiple typos when you wrote it.
Thanks. I use mobile. I can never get the auto correct to work perfectly.
Old 06-12-18, 07:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Why does a OHV not compete? The power and performance are stunning. Are they not?
Old 06-12-18, 07:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok, we were at a car meet this evening. There were a few Ferrari’s and a number of Corvettes.

Could the 2019 ZR1 be better engineerd compared to a current Ferarri? It sure looked like a ZR1 in fact is. If you took the badges off, the ZR1 appeared superior. Thoughts?
Jill, go open the doors on a Ferrari and glance inside. Take a few minutes to look at all the details on those cars. The engineering is breathtaking. I have worked on many Ferarris and they are some of my favorite cars from a craftsmanship standpoint. I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that most of the interiors are done by hand. I have been around a ton of Corvettes as well, mainly C5-C7 in all trims, tons of Z06 and ZR1s. Although nice vehicles and extremely competitive, you just can't compare the quality of a Chevy and a Ferarri. The paintjob on a nice Ferarri alone costs half the price of a new Z06 and you can see why if you ever have the two cars sitting side by side.

It's all diminishing returns with cars. A million dollar car probably won't be ten times faster or better built than a 100k car. Are Ferarris worth that much money? I don't know, but they do sell well. It's a limited number car made for the richest people in the world. Not made for the common man.
Old 06-12-18, 08:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Having driven the new Z06 - the answer is NO, not even close.

Corvette needs to catch 911 first.
458 Italia and 488 GTB are in different stratosphere.

I highly recommend driving any mid-engine Ferrari to the OP so you can understand why its such a special car.
Old 06-12-18, 08:26 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

well i've driven a c6 corvette and a ferrari 360 with the "flappy paddle" transmission. while the ferrari is somewhat dimwitted at low speeds, once you get going it really does have like a big go kart feel to how it drives. the engine also just sounds quite glorious being right behind you. also considering that the ferrari makes just as much power with a 3.6 liter n/a engine as the corvette does with a 6.0 liter engine i'd answer your question with no. also i don't see the GM formula 1 team enjoying considerable success at any point throughout history.

i'm not trying to dis the corvette or anything, i had a smile the whole time i drove it and the performance for the price is excellent. but it felt more or less like a regular car except lower down and with a big engine, but the ferrari really just has a special feel to it. and as others have mentioned using pushrods is quite ancient although they still get the job done. as something to live with every day the corvette is probably the better option though. you'll also be resented much less in a corvette lol...
Old 06-12-18, 09:27 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

kinda like how Nissan GTR used to beat out supercars. Now they can't even get them off the car lot.

yeah, a common brand could be better, but people don't give a crap because it doesn't have status.

That's why those GTR boys upgraded to lambos
Old 06-12-18, 09:41 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Frankly, comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari is insulting. Let's start comparing a Timex to a Rolex. They both tell time, right??
Old 06-12-18, 09:53 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you factor out pricing and badge, the answer is a clear: No.

The quality and the engineering of the Ferrari is just insanely better than any Corvette. Literally - the Ferrari is a different league in those terms. However - if you factor pricing, I would say a Vette ZR1 could be better than a Ferrari. Vette ZR1 is good value if you want Ferrari performance without the price-tag.

Originally Posted by pman6
kinda like how Nissan GTR used to beat out supercars. Now they can't even get them off the car lot.

yeah, a common brand could be better, but people don't give a crap because it doesn't have status.

That's why those GTR boys upgraded to lambos
Some context here: There are two main reasons why the GTR isn't selling well right now. 1) Price has gotten over 100K 2) Price has gotten over 100K for a car that came out in 2008.
This typical Nissan GTR history. Nissan has always built a Skyline/GTR, ran it for awhile, stop production and then wait years later for another version. This is what is happening with the R35. They'll likely stop production soon, the R35 will fade into history and then the R36 will be released.
I don't like that Nissan does that to the GTR. I think Nissan should have updated the GTR with a new TTV6 that keeps up with the competition in 2012 and ending the R35 in 2015. And introduce the R36 new generation in 2016. If Nissan did this and kept pricing below 100K or at 100K, it'll be selling like hot-cakes still.

The people that usually "don't give a crap" - like you put it - are not actually car enthusiasts, in my opinion. When you choose a Lamborghini over a GTR, when the GTR was at its prime, you probably aren't a car enthusiasts and likely only cared about the "Lamborghini" brand. Like many reviews stated in the past - "GTR is for someone that likes driving while the Lamborghini is for someone who likes to show-off."
Old 06-12-18, 10:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Corvette is a mass produced car that is held to a pretty tight budget, you can buy a base one with no options for about 55k, which is a steal IMO. Its made by a large corporation who doesn't believe in small production numbers, the more you sell, the more money you make, its a different mindset than Ferrari who intentionally restricts supply.

The Ferrari, it wasn't really designed with a price tag in mind. Its going to cost what it costs. It is going to be hand built with the best materials money can buy by craftsmen who have been hand building cars as a career for their entire adult life. The attention to detail is astounding, as it should be for what it costs. This is a small company that has been building in this niche for a very long time, they know the market, they know the process of producing exquisite hand made cars.

I think the thing both the Corvette and Ferrari share in common is racing heritage. Corvette in production based sports car racing for the past 20 years or so, Ferrari and their 70 years of Formula 1 racing heritage. The reason both of these cars are so fast, handle great and put down impressive performance numbers is the technology and lessons learned from racing goes straight into the road cars.
Old 06-13-18, 06:13 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking to add a bit of structure to this spirited conversation:
  • Would it be more effective if we made it model vs. model instead of model (ZR1) vs brand (Ferrari)
    • Would it be each companies halo car vs halo car, so 2019 Chevrolet ZR1 vs. 2019 Ferrari LaFerrari (or whatever current halo car)
  • Let's define "engineered"
    • Drivetrain
    • Suspension
    • Safety
    • Braking
    • Electronics
​​​​​​​Thoughts?
Old 06-13-18, 08:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does a OHV not compete? The power and performance are stunning. Are they not?
But your initial question was about "engineering", not about power.
Old 06-13-18, 08:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Frankly, comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari is insulting. Let's start comparing a Timex to a Rolex. They both tell time, right??
Haha--a quartz Timex keeps accurate time better than my automatic Tag....but that doesn't make the Timex "better"....
Old 06-13-18, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OG Member
Looking to add a bit of structure to this spirited conversation:
  • Would it be more effective if we made it model vs. model instead of model (ZR1) vs brand (Ferrari)
    • ?
I just chose top ZR1 as I have no idea what the top spec Ferrari is. So perhaps we can just say Corvette vs Ferrari.

Looking at the numbers from this Motortrend article, the Corvette looks pretty good. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...11-carrera-4s/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?