Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?

Old 06-15-18, 06:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Do we know if the Corvette would be even faster/better if the engine embraced newer technology?
I dunno. The Vette gives up four cylinders. Would a switch to OHC cams make any difference compared to what it is using now?
Old 06-15-18, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I dunno. The Vette gives up four cylinders. Would a switch to OHC cams make any difference compared to what it is using now?
If what (initially) happened on the Mustang is any guide when it switched from the 5.0L push-rod V8 to the 4.6L OHC V8 a number of years ago, some low-end torque will be traded for a gain in high-end HP.
Old 06-15-18, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Jill, seems your main point about 'better' is regarding performance.

the corvette is very capable on road and track especially with various packages and z06/7/zr1 variants.
It might beat some ferrari models depending on the track and driver, but it's important to remember that ferrari has a massive history in real professional racing, so their cars are supremely capable in handling, performance and stability at high speed, and of course blistering acceleration.

that's not to say gm doesn't have tricks too...i believe Ferrari uses gm's developed magneto resistive shocks because they're the best.

but a ferrari is a very limited production car with (these days) a pretty exquisite interior with italian flair, decades ago though they were VERY crude and basic inside, but not today.

if you're driving a ferrari you just know you're driving something very rare and special. A corvette on the other hand is mass produced and cheap performance with an interior and noise level to match.

but if you're primarily comparing on performance they're not THAT far apart unless you're a pro race driver.
Old 06-15-18, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

About pushrods, this 18mo old article says a dohc v8 is coming to corvette this year.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-dohc-v8-2018/
Old 06-15-18, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Maybe this thread can be closed and we can move on.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. I'll second that.
Not seeing any reason to close it, thanks.
Old 06-16-18, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if you're driving a ferrari you just know you're driving something very rare and special. A corvette on the other hand is mass produced and cheap performance with an interior and noise level to match.
Yes, more Corvettes are built than Ferraris, but I wouldn't call it a mass-produced vehicle. GM usually limits their production, for several reasons.

but if you're primarily comparing on performance they're not THAT far apart unless you're a pro race driver.
True.
Old 06-16-18, 08:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Yes, more Corvettes are built than Ferraris, but I wouldn't call it a mass-produced vehicle. GM usually limits their production, for several reasons.
The Corvette is absolutely a mass produced vehicle. A Ferrari is bespoke and largely hand built.
Old 06-16-18, 09:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Corvette is absolutely a mass produced vehicle. A Ferrari is bespoke and largely hand built.
I tend to agree with this. Last year GM sold 25k Vettes in the U.S. (not including Canada) and 30k the previous year.
Old 06-16-18, 11:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

True.
Corvette is the affordable sports car...how do they make it affordable, they mass produce the thing in numbers significantly more then what the people in Italia and Woking are doing to get prices down overall. Would it compete with Ferrari on pure performance, I think it already does. The Current gen has been in a lot of competition mags with the like of the entry level offerings. Engineering knows no bounds with any marque, throw enough talent and money and you can get there like GM has now (coupled with the infamous attachment and testing at the Ring). Now will it turn heads down Sunset Blvd next to a Red Italia....not really. Chevy has yet to win that race. Pulling up with a prancing horse still takes the cake over pulling up in a whatever spirit animal the vette is. Maybe the mid engined next gen can change that or maybe it doesnt, the vette here to stay coupled with the most exhausting tiers of aftermarket support.
Old 06-16-18, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Corvette is the affordable sports car...how do they make it affordable, they mass produce the thing in numbers significantly more then what the people in Italia and Woking are doing to get prices down overall. Would it compete with Ferrari on pure performance, I think it already does. The Current gen has been in a lot of competition mags with the like of the entry level offerings. Engineering knows no bounds with any marque, throw enough talent and money and you can get there like GM has now (coupled with the infamous attachment and testing at the Ring). Now will it turn heads down Sunset Blvd next to a Red Italia....not really. Chevy has yet to win that race. Pulling up with a prancing horse still takes the cake over pulling up in a whatever spirit animal the vette is. Maybe the mid engined next gen can change that or maybe it doesnt, the vette here to stay coupled with the most exhausting tiers of aftermarket support.
Although this article specifically refers to relatively recent Sting Ray production, GM actually has a history of limiting Corvette production and not always fulfilling demand. Were it not for that, the Corvette pricing might be even lower (compared to Ferraris) than it is now. I fully understand what others have posted (and what they are saying), but, that's why I said, in earlier posts, that I personally do not consider it to be a typical mass-produced car in that sense.

https://www.motor1.com/news/41728/gm...e-high-demand/

BY: CLINTON DEACON

Officials have stated General Motors has not plans to increase production which will likely lead to a lot of frustrated customers who will have to remain patient.

Unsurprisingly, the demand for the 2014 Corvette Stingray far outweighs the supply and has led to calls for production to be increased. However, officials have stated General Motors has not plans to increase production which will likely lead to a lot of frustrated customers who will have to remain patient.

The news stems from Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter who confirms the Bowling Green Assembly Plant that is solely responsible for producing the 2014 Corvette will continue to output the current 160 units per day.

"We've seen this again and again. You bring out a new Corvette and the demand is sky-high at the beginning, and then it tapers off," said Juechter. "It's not worth making that investment [of a second shift], even though for a while we make a lot more money getting those cars out there."

As a result of the decision, inpatient customers will likely need to pay a high premium over the base price to get their hands on the sports car. The current waiting list for the Corvette Stingray is believed to be around 6 months with pricing announced to start at $51,995 for the coupe and $56,995 for the convertible

GM to limit Corvette Stingray production despite high demand

Old 06-16-18, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Jill, seems your main point about 'better' is regarding performance.

the corvette is very capable on road and track especially with various packages and z06/7/zr1 variants.
It might beat some ferrari models depending on the track and driver, but it's important to remember that ferrari has a massive history in real professional racing, so their cars are supremely capable in handling, performance and stability at high speed, and of course blistering acceleration.

that's not to say gm doesn't have tricks too...i believe Ferrari uses gm's developed magneto resistive shocks because they're the best.

but a ferrari is a very limited production car with (these days) a pretty exquisite interior with italian flair, decades ago though they were VERY crude and basic inside, but not today.

Good post. I would assume Chevrolet, Toyota and Ford have long histories in racing as well. Maybe not as far dating back. But I am sure they are in there. And yes, mostly talking performance and engineering design and or materials etc etc.

Edit:
Interesting to learn by this discussion and then more research, Ferarri, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and MB are take part in Formula 1 racing. No Chevrolet and Audi.

I wonder what the PR benefits are for Toyota, Honda and Hyundai to take part?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-16-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Although this article specifically refers to relatively recent Sting Ray production, GM actually has a history of limiting Corvette production and not always fulfilling demand. Were it not for that, the Corvette pricing might be even lower (compared to Ferraris) than it is now. I fully understand what others have posted (and what they are saying), but, that's why I said, in earlier posts, that I personally do not consider it to be a typical mass-produced car in that sense.

Officials have stated General Motors has not plans to increase production which will likely lead to a lot of frustrated customers who will have to remain patient.

Unsurprisingly, the demand for the 2014 Corvette Stingray far outweighs the supply and has led to calls for production to be increased. However, officials have stated General Motors has not plans to increase production which will likely lead to a lot of frustrated customers who will have to remain patient.

The news stems from Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter who confirms the Bowling Green Assembly Plant that is solely responsible for producing the 2014 Corvette will continue to output the current 160 units per day.

"We've seen this again and again. You bring out a new Corvette and the demand is sky-high at the beginning, and then it tapers off," said Juechter. "It's not worth making that investment [of a second shift], even though for a while we make a lot more money getting those cars out there."

As a result of the decision, inpatient customers will likely need to pay a high premium over the base price to get their hands on the sports car. The current waiting list for the Corvette Stingray is believed to be around 6 months with pricing announced to start at $51,995 for the coupe and $56,995 for the convertible

You don’t understand what “mass production” means. The number of vehicles they produce is meaningless, it’s the method of production. Corvettes are not bespoke, and they are not hand built, Ferrari’s are both.

The Corvette sells more than the LS or GS for instance. Are they not “mass production”? (They are)
Old 06-16-18, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ferarri makes 7000 units per year, definitely not mass produced in the auto sense. Corvette is 30K or something like that with lots of parts bin equipment from the Chevrolet line up. I think mass produced is being mistaken for non-mainstream when referring to the Corvette as been not mass produced. Nothing wrong with parts bin as it’s a Chevrolet and it should resemble the Chevrolet theme IMO. I think this thread has been a worthwhile discussion. Learned from the responses and done follow up research that Ferrari’s are partly hand build or something close to that. But also discovered the incredible performance by Chevrolet even though they use older tech for their engines.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-16-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-17-18, 03:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having excess demand does not mean a car is not "mass produced".
Old 06-17-18, 08:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have considered the Corvette GS to replace my BRZ.

The Gauge cluster from a 90s Malibu and the ugly steering wheel is huge turnoff.
Build quality and finishes are subpar.
Lots of GM parts bin.
Interior smells horrendous from the type of plastics GM uses (you can google this)
Body parts are still fiberglass.

Having said all that for the money its still a Great car!

Your also comparing the most hard core track purpose ZR1 to regular 488GTB.
Why not compare it to a LaFerrari as that is Ferrari’s ultimate car right now? the new 488 Pista with over 700hp will be amazing as well.

OP - I beg you go drive a 360modena, 430, 458 or the current 488GTB. You will not be able to take smile off your face.
No Corvette will give you same feeling and at end of the day that is the magic potion Ferrari has.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?