Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 08:16 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Corvette is also a toy. It is just a cheaper toy.
I would argue the Vette is less "toy-like" than a Ferrari. I believe you can DD a Vette but DD a Ferrari is just horrible.
Old 06-13-18, 08:29 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I would argue the Vette is less "toy-like" than a Ferrari. I believe you can DD a Vette but DD a Ferrari is just horrible.

I believe a bunch of newer Ferrais like the California get dd duties

in general I do agree a Vette is less of a toy but on the other had an FF or the new Lusso will move 4 in comfort

Old 06-14-18, 04:44 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

But why then? Nobody is elaborating. The performance seems to be the same
Which Corvette can match performance of a 488GTB?
Old 06-14-18, 06:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Which Corvette can match performance of a 488GTB?
ZR1 and a 488GTB are both 210 mph vehicles. I don’t have the chance right now to look up the numbers exactly but 60MPH are close

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein...g%3fsource=dam

https://www.caranddriver.com/ferrari/488gtb

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-14-18 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 09:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

The Ferrari folks are geniuses. They included 7 year free maintenance to keep the cars in great shape so their dealers can sell the used ones for premium prices as certified per-owned cars.
That also includes a rejuvenation process.

*cough*ferrari odometer rollback scandal*cough*
Old 06-14-18, 01:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's truth on both sides here. The Corvette, for decades, especially its top-dog versions, has had a long-standing reputation of being able to go toe-to-toe with some of Europe's finest on the track.....at half the price or less. But it is also true that, as several people have pointed out, in the field of craftsmanship and engineering, there is a reason why the Italian exotics cost what they do, though reliability, in the typical Italian tradition, often suffers. People who pay that kind of money for a car, though (and who can afford to pay that kind of money LOL) are probably not too concerned with what it costs for repairs, nor, given the fact that they probably don't use these cars a daily-drivers, if they are in the shop 50% of the time waiting for parts.
this really reminded me of this clip (at 5:35):

Old 06-14-18, 02:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
this really reminded me of this clip (at 5:35):

https://youtu.be/Ko9kzyqW-l8?t=336
From an engineering stand point. This Corvette seems to be pretty good. Carbon fiber or whatever. Performance. This is why I started this thread.
Old 06-14-18, 02:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
Ferrari's pedigree and heritage alone puts it at levels a Corvette will never reach, regardless of performance numbers. Ferrari's are some of the most sought after automobiles.

F40, F50, Enzo, LaFerrari....This isn't even debatable.

I'd also argue the Corvette has pedigree and heritage, its been in almost continuous production for 65 years now and has an extensive racing history as well. Are they as desirable as Ferraris??? NO, never will be, once again it goes back to hand crafted vs mass produced car. Part(but not all) of the reason used Ferraris are so expensive is the limited production numbers.
Old 06-14-18, 04:12 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From an engineering stand point. This Corvette seems to be pretty good. Carbon fiber or whatever. Performance. This is why I started this thread.
well i don't think anyone's disputing the corvette's track potential, but as he went on to say it's terrible to use on the road every day. the interiors of corvettes have also always been quite dismal. engineering is more than just a fast lap time around a smooth racetrack if it's a car that'll be sold for use on the road.
Old 06-14-18, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd also argue the Corvette has pedigree and heritage, its been in almost continuous production for 65 years now and has an extensive racing history as well.
Nothing to argue. Absolutely the Corvette has pedigree and heritage. The switch to mid-engine for the C8 in the coming years will only add to it's legacy.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Are they as desirable as Ferraris??? NO, never will be, once again it goes back to hand crafted vs mass produced car. Part(but not all) of the reason used Ferraris are so expensive is the limited production numbers.
We'll have to see if the rumored Dino / Sub-brand comes to fruition and lowers the entry level to compete against say McLaren 570S. But yes Ferrari does a great job of limited production. I don't have the numbers but I believe they want to keep it around 10,000 units a year. Ferrari also creates limited numbers or specials editions of models as well which adds to it's exclusivity. When the Ferrari SUV comes to market, they may change their tune. The company also produces a decent number of one-offs. And like it or not they often try to control the narrative in the sense that the only way you can compare a Ferrari to anything else, is to beg owners to borrow/test them. Ferrari is known to interfere with journalists.

Back to the Corvette. Good article about the "Father of the Corvette" Zora Arkus-Duntov who essentially transformed the Corvette from it's first generation roadster into a formidable sports car to challenge Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, and Mercedes. He knew that the mid-engine layout was a superior architecture from a sports car standpoint, and fought GM tooth and nail. In the end the bean counters got to retain their front engine sports car. If Zora was alive today we would be proud of what the C8 will be.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-in-the-making
Old 06-14-18, 05:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it isn't debatable, we wouldn't be having this thread.....or this discussion.
You know as well as I do that many people will debate just for sport.

Let's rephrase this question: If someone offered you, for FREE (you never pay for insurance, maintenance, gas, tires, etc, etc), either a Corvette or a Ferrari, who would choose the Corvette?
Old 06-14-18, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

Let's rephrase this question: If someone offered you, for FREE (you never pay for insurance, maintenance, gas, tires, etc, etc), either a Corvette or a Ferrari, who would choose the Corvette?
He might. There might be an overwhelming majority for the Ferrari but nothing will be 100%. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The lines of a Ferrari might not always be as good looking as the Vette to some.
Old 06-14-18, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

I would.....hands-down. With its noisy, kidney-pounding ride, though, and being almost worthless in bad weather, I probably wouldn't drive it very often. I'm somewhat of a GM fan, and get outstanding service from my local Chevy/Buick/GMC shop, whether that service is free or I pay for it.

I DO like one thing about Ferraris, though, that I wish other manufacturers would copy.....the gated shifters for the manual transmission. With a number of three-pedal cars, downshifts, especially with notch or imprecise shift-linkage, can be enough guesswork to risk overspeeding the engine or over-taxing the synchros unless one is adept at heel-and-toe shifting or double-clutching. The gated shifter takes all that guesswork out of the shift...just pop the lever into the right slot and Bingo, you're set. A light on the dash, showing you what gear you are in, would also help, but, for some reason, most manufacturers do that only with automatics and manual-mode automatic shifting, not with true three-pedal cars where that light would help the most. The Nissan 370Z, if you have not driven one (I have) also has a nice feature that you don't often see on other three-pedal cars...computer rev-matching on downshifts, which takes a lot of potential stress off the synchros. The feature can be turned off if desired (or if you want to heel-and-toe it LOL)
Old 06-14-18, 06:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I would.....hands-down.
You're the only person on earth who would LOL
Old 06-14-18, 07:08 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I would.....hands-down. With its noisy, kidney-pounding ride, though, and being almost worthless in bad weather, I probably wouldn't drive it very often. I'm somewhat of a GM fan, and get outstanding service from my local Chevy/Buick/GMC shop, whether that service is free or I pay for it.

I DO like one thing about Ferraris, though, that I wish other manufacturers would copy.....the gated shifters for the manual transmission. With a number of three-pedal cars, downshifts, especially with notch or imprecise shift-linkage, can be enough guesswork to risk overspeeding the engine or over-taxing the synchros unless one is adept at heel-and-toe shifting or double-clutching. The gated shifter takes all that guesswork out of the shift...just pop the lever into the right slot and Bingo, you're set. A light on the dash, showing you what gear you are in, would also help, but, for some reason, most manufacturers do that only with automatics and manual-mode automatic shifting, not with true three-pedal cars where that light would help the most. The Nissan 370Z, if you have not driven one (I have) also has a nice feature that you don't often see on other three-pedal cars...computer rev-matching on downshifts, which takes a lot of potential stress off the synchros. The feature can be turned off if desired (or if you want to heel-and-toe it LOL)

Those gated shifters are past tense from the Prancing Horse. Ferrari brings current/future tech to the market, and only offers DSG in their cars.

Quick Reply: Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?