Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 07:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Their 'mystique'-style marketing, the entire BS buying process, market demand -1 supply strategy, more recently their focus on hp numbers and emissions rather than the driving experience, and more historically the greatest Chris Harris article of all time: https://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

I grew up as a huge Ferrari fan but soon realized the brand is just too much BS.
Interesting comments. I didn’t know Ferrari went to great lengths to review-proof their cars.
Old 06-17-18, 09:58 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Interesting comments. I didn’t know Ferrari went to great lengths to review-proof their cars.
they've been known to tune cars that will be tested and reviewed to be a bit more powerful and aggressive than the cars actually sold. also to buy some of the more limited production models you need to be "approved" first before they'll even take your money. back when the p1, 918, and laferrari all came out they wouldn't allow the laferrari to be put against the other two on the track, and even said that anyone who leant their's wouldn't be allowed to buy another limited production ferrari in the future.

even in f1 they've been known to pull underhanded moves, like telling rubens barrichello to slow down and let his teammate michael schumacher pass and win the race to help schumacher's season points. they make some real wondrous creations, but the politics and tactics of the company keep me from liking them too much.
Old 06-17-18, 11:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Interesting to learn by this discussion and then more research, Ferarri, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and MB are take part in Formula 1 racing. No Chevrolet and Audi.
I wonder what the PR benefits are for Toyota, Honda and Hyundai to take part?
cheverolet is huge in nascar so that's their focus, and more fits their target market. formula 1 is ENORMOUSLY expensive to participate in for one thing, and secondly, marketing benefits in the u.s. are very limited as formula 1 wasn't even happening here for years and is still a tiny 'niche' interest.

as for why toyota/honda/hyundai participate, different reasons for each i'm sure. honda OWNED formula 1 in the 80s and i think their motorcycle expertise is part of the reason, they simply have huge experience with screaming high strung engines. toyota, maybe decided to get into it to gain expertise and because of cars like supras and more recently, the stunning LFA - i.e., for a performance image. i honestly have no idea why hyundai would be involved in formula 1 (and didn't know they were), except maybe to try to one up honda and toyota?

Originally Posted by gengar
Their 'mystique'-style marketing, the entire BS buying process, market demand -1 supply strategy, more recently their focus on hp numbers and emissions rather than the driving experience, and more historically the greatest Chris Harris article of all time: https://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

I grew up as a huge Ferrari fan but soon realized the brand is just too much BS.
reminds me of rolex.
ugly heavy basic watches for massive prices.

why would a company that only makes a few thousand cars a year, that has a 2 year waiting list want to loan a ferrari to some eager reporter? they don't need the pr help.
Old 06-18-18, 05:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reminds me of rolex.
ugly heavy basic watches for massive prices.
Many people don't even wear watches any more.....time and date is instantly available on smart-phones. I donated the last watch I had to a thrift sore.

People today truly DO have time on their hands....instead of on their wrist LOL.
Old 06-18-18, 05:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why would a company that only makes a few thousand cars a year, that has a 2 year waiting list want to loan a ferrari to some eager reporter? they don't need the pr help.
Probably because of Lambo...they have been serious competion to Ferrari for some time now, at least on the street, if Ferrari has more of a name on the track.
Old 06-18-18, 05:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I drove one yesterday for the first time, and was impressed. I have never driven a Ferrari, only rode in one, but my guesstimate would be, "YES."
Old 06-18-18, 06:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I drove one yesterday for the first time, and was impressed. I have never driven a Ferrari, only rode in one, but my guesstimate would be, "YES."
Believe me having driven the current Z06 - its not even close.
There is a reason Corvettes can be had for $60k and you need to be on a long waiting list for a Ferrari.

If i was buying an exotic, Huracan would be my choice.
Bulletproof V10 for $200k
Old 06-18-18, 06:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Believe me having driven the current Z06 - its not even close.
There is a reason Corvettes can be had for $60k and you need to be on a long waiting list for a Ferrari.

If i was buying an exotic, Huracan would be my choice.
Bulletproof V10 for $200k
Gotcha...I have even heard that the C7 still isn't there for interior appointments, but I was thinking. Whatever the case, I think the most powerful car I have ever driven is the Alpina B7 (maybe 2008)--sad, not sad, the truth lol I dunno if I would even need 600 or 700 HP, I think those are bragging rights...

You know it was a good year when watches (although not according to this thread) and exotic cars are back-ordered. avg bonus was 186k last year on Wall St., not too shabby. Understood that money isn't everything when demand far outstrips supply...
Old 06-18-18, 06:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
What are they ??
Less kidney pounding.
Old 01-28-19, 03:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

While I am buried in a big snowstorm, all of my employees were sent home. I am sitting watching stuff on you tube. I recall a cheeky comment about push rods in another thread but I can't find it. So on Leno's, Garage, he is driving then ZR1. He mentions that push rods are lower in the engine design, therefore the cams are lower, and that is what you what S more weight is lowered in the chassis. I have no idea, nor does it likely matter to anyone one here, but just saying.
Old 01-28-19, 04:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

While I am buried in a big snowstorm, all of my employees were sent home. I am sitting watching stuff on you tube. I recall a cheeky comment about push rods in another thread but I can't find it. So on Leno's, Garage, he is driving then ZR1. He mentions that push rods are lower in the engine design, therefore the cams are lower, and that is what you what S more weight is lowered in the chassis. I have no idea, nor does it likely matter to anyone one here, but just saying.
Boxer engines take the same concept even further.