EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)

Porsche Mission E's official name: 'Taycan'

It means "lively young horse"

Porsche has been using the Mission E codename quite publicly for a couple years now, since the concept's first debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2015. Now, as we get closer to the launch of the production version of the electric sports car next year, Porsche is ready to let us get used to the car'sactual name. Today, the German automaker has announced that the Mission E will be sold as the Porsche Taycan.

The origin of the name can be seen in the Porsche crest, which features a leaping horse borrowed from the city of Stuttgart's coat of arms. The name "Taycan," Porsche says, translates to "lively young horse." It's an apt title for the freshest model in Porsche's stable. "Our new electric sports car is strong and dependable, said Porsche Chairman Oliver Blume. "It's a vehicle that can consistently cover long distances and that epitomizes freedom."

In addition to naming and dealer preparations, Porsche is undergoing expansion in order to build the ****Taycan. Porsche is setting aside a dedicated assembly for the EV at its Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen headquarters, as well as a new paint shop and a conveyor bridge to move the painted bodies and drive units to final assembly. The engine plant there is expanding to house electric motor production, and Porsche is planning a new body shop. The Taycan will be responsible for 1,200 new jobs in Zuffenhausen, and Porsche plans to invest more at its Weissach Development Center.

That investment is part of a larger plan to spend more than €6 billion (about $7.1 billion) in electrification by 2020. €500 million ($589 million) of that will be dedicated to other variants and derivatives of the Taycan. €1 billion ($1.2 billion) will go toward electrifying current products, while €700 million ($824 million) will go toward "new technologies, charging infrastructure, and smart mobility." Another several hundred million will go toward expanding production facilities.

Porsche says the Taycan will do 0-60 miles per hour in "well under" 3.5 seconds, thanks to two motors providing more than 600 horsepower. It'll offer a driving range of over 300 miles, at least on the generous European driving cycle.
Source
Old 06-08-18, 02:13 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 300 Posts

I'm sure the car is going to be spectacular, but's that's one absolutely terrible name they've given it....!

Old 06-08-18, 02:17 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

very sleek looking i like it how much do you think this will cost?
Old 06-08-18, 02:40 PM
Hoovey689

I for one love the name Taycan. It has heritage to the Porsche name and shield. Not to mention flows somewhat with recent models like Macan and Cayman
Old 06-08-18, 03:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

can you say tesla-slayer?
Old 06-08-18, 04:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Porsche Teslayer
Old 06-08-18, 09:52 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder why it still has a transmission tunnel? guessing this is just a panamara reskin and not a new model.
Old 06-08-18, 10:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Wasn't it announced to have MUCH less power output than the top of the line Model S? Not sure how it will be a Tesla slayer. Better range, but not acceleration based on what I've been reading.
Old 06-09-18, 04:19 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So now we know it will be called Taycan. All we need now is for the car to actually go on sale and all our questions will be answered.
Old 06-09-18, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

chevy's got a new model coming out called the beercan.
Old 06-09-18, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Wasn't it announced to have MUCH less power output than the top of the line Model S? Not sure how it will be a Tesla slayer. Better range, but not acceleration based on what I've been reading.
It's not always about performance. 'Slayer' can also mean the Taycan beats the Model S in sales numbers potentially. Don't underestimate the power of a badge. If I tell someone they can have a Tesla or Porsche for free, the majority will choose the latter. Once Porsche, Benz, BMW etc.. start rolling out their 100K+ EV sedans, Tesla is going to have a serious issue on their hands. The interior quality is already subject to scrutiny, now add storied names plates in the mix and Tesla's future is a bit more bleak. Personally I see them closing up shop on their 'Vehicles' in a few years and becoming solely an energy company that provides batteries for the big car companies. Cheers to the Taycan!
Old 06-09-18, 01:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

chevy's got a new model coming out called the beercan.
Sounds like a new flex fuel / biofuel vehicle, with the fuel carried in kegs.
Old 06-09-18, 01:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Sounds like a new flex fuel / biofuel vehicle, with the fuel carried in kegs.
ha.

well might as well keep going...

ford's new model will be the tincan

fiat's new model will be the brocan

toyota's new model... notboringcan
Old 06-10-18, 03:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's not always about performance. 'Slayer' can also mean the Taycan beats the Model S in sales numbers potentially. Don't underestimate the power of a badge. If I tell someone they can have a Tesla or Porsche for free, the majority will choose the latter. Once Porsche, Benz, BMW etc.. start rolling out their 100K+ EV sedans, Tesla is going to have a serious issue on their hands. The interior quality is already subject to scrutiny, now add storied names plates in the mix and Tesla's future is a bit more bleak. Personally I see them closing up shop on their 'Vehicles' in a few years and becoming solely an energy company that provides batteries for the big car companies. Cheers to the Taycan!
Totally disagree.

Tesla is very unique as its not a typical car brand.
It has incredible brand name for techies, green people and young people.

Most Green people will never consider a Porsche because they are owned by VW and the whole dieselgate plus that most of their lineup has gas engines. For techies, Tesla Multimedia system is way more advanced than other brands.

I was at Tesla store in Meatpacking yesterday and there was bunch of ppl there.
Old 06-10-18, 07:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So, yesterday I drove a Model X P100D as well as a Model 3 with the extended-range battery. I'd say there's a decent amount of room between those in terms of acceleration performance where most people would be more than happy with a Porsche accelerating that fast. I mean the X basically gave eveyone in the car whiplash it was so quick. But, the 3 was quick, too. Besides, what I took away from driving those all-electrics was more that they are smooth and quiet, not necessarily sporty. I'm sure Porsche can sell a Taycan just by checking those boxes, combined with the Porsche name.

Quick Reply: Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)