ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   7th gen ES reviews (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/890937-7th-gen-es-reviews.html)

bitkahuna 06-07-18 08:02 AM

7th gen ES reviews

didn't find a thread on 7es in general...

enjoyed this, and the car's impressive.

bitkahuna 06-07-18 08:03 AM

anyone else think the front seat room (width in particular) looks really cramped?

Toys4RJill 06-07-18 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10218460)
anyone else think the front seat room (width in particular) looks really cramped?

Its a mid size car for average sized adults. From the looks of it, this new ES is going to be a mega hit for Lexus.

Motortend says the current ES was too quiet at one point during testing, so engineers had to add noise so people did not feel sick. WOW. C&D says the car is whisper quiet like a library at midnight. (First I heard of that saying)

All has models will come from US plants (sad) while all hybrid models will come from Japan (awesome)

4TehNguyen 06-07-18 08:17 AM

its very upscale looking now, makes the previous ones look cheap

jrmckinley 06-07-18 08:36 AM

As expected, the exterior resembles a Camry. To me, that is a good thing as the Camry has grown on me and has a very distinct but solid presence on the road. I agree with bitkahuna - it does appear more cramped for the driver - almost like the center area between driver and passenger is wider than before..(??)

Sulu 06-07-18 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10218459)
didn't find a thread on 7es in general...

New 7th-generation ES forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...9-present-301/

New 7gen ES reviews thread (includes this video): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-and-vids.html

bitkahuna 06-07-18 09:26 AM

^^^ thx but besides infotainment didn't seem like 7es discussed much here in car chat.

Hoovey689 06-07-18 10:19 AM

2019 Lexus ES First Drive Review

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...cdf7a4f00b.jpg

For 2019, the Lexus ES is all new and marks the seventh generation of the Japanese nameplate's entry-level luxury four-door. We're happy to report that the redesign brings some very welcome attributes, and the 2019 Lexus ES does everything you'd want an entry-level luxury vehicle to do. Performance, no matter which of the two drivetrain options you choose, is respectable, interior comfort is on par with a Restoration Hardware sofa you'd spend real money on, handling is communicative, and most important for a Lexus, it's serenely quiet inside. While these are great attributes, there are a few places we wish Lexus had spent more energy revamping.

Through the humid hill country just outside Nashville, on a mix of the congested city arteries and the flowing switchbacks of Tennessee's forested interior, we put the ES through its paces. The 2019 ES is based on Toyota's TNGA platform, which underpins both the latest Avalon and Camry models. Perhaps that'd constitute a knock in a previous era, but the new Camry chassis is a rollicking peach compared to some others in its class. It's rigid enough for a windy road dance, but compliant enough for daily-driver duties.

Even better, Lexus engineers improved the TNGA platform for use in the ES. A 200 percent increase in stiffness over the previous ES is due in part to a liberal use of structural adhesives and laser-welded screws. The front strut towers are reinforced, and topped with a brace between them. This extra attention to detail pays dividends that include a smoother ride and better handling.

New adaptive Dynamic Control Shocks quietly smooth out bumps and undulations, allowing us to wind through the rural backcountry roads confidently, and the steering gives better feedback than we'd expect from a vehicle like the Lexus ES. Pushing the big sedan into one of the many hilly, and often blind, corners along our route elicits only a minute amount of body roll. But chassis improvements aren't the only upgrade from the previous model.

The 2019 Lexus ES comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 delivering 302 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 267 pound-feet of torque at 4,700 rpm. This represents a bump of 34 hp and 19 lb-ft from the previous generation's V6. The engine is coupled to Lexus' new eight-speed automatic transmission, which is encased in a housing smaller than the brand's previous six-speed automatic. The transaxle has been tuned to provide drivers with a more linear and smooth power delivery, thereby increasing the overall luxury feel of the ES.

More environmentally conscious customers can opt for a 2.5-liter four-cylinder hybrid. While its 215 horsepower figure is sufficient, its big selling point is an average fuel economy of 44 mpg. The electrified powerplant is hitched to the brand's Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission, which is packaged more efficiently just like the non-hybrid's eight-speed automatic. While either engine option will tackle winding roads like those we encountered in Tennessee without issue, the bigger V6 pulls like a champ and is certainly the better option for driving enthusiasts.

While we were legitimately impressed by its cornering capabilities, there's a tradeoff to consider. The new ES is smooth enough to satisfactorily iron out pitted pathways and rough roads, but it doesn't feel as plush as competitors like the Lincoln MKZ or Genesis G70.

We're also not convinced that the interior is different enough from the Toyota Camry and Avalon to justify its expected price premium — Lexus was fuzzy with the numbers but gave us a ballpark. Though the ES does receive a new trim texture based on the finishes of a samurai's katana, if you were to compare interior shots of the Camry and the ES side by side, you'd find that the steering wheel, instrument display, starter button, transmission shifter, and lower console are interchangeable. It's only the infotainment screens, and some slightly higher-quality materials such as the leather seats, that differ significantly.

This interior parts-sharing quandary has always been a fact of life for the ES, but these days it's hard not to drive an ES and cast a glance at the Avalon, if you can get past the badge. What's more, recent Lexus models like the LC 500 have really impressed us with excellent materials, design, craftsmanship, and attention to detail, and it's disappointing that more of the LC's special sauce didn't make it to the ES.

Still, during a particularly winding stretch through Natchez Trace State Park — which could be a lovely super-stage rally course — the Lexus ES actually urged us to bury the accelerator and have fun behind the wheel. That's not something we would have felt from the last ES.

It may not be aimed explicitly at driving enthusiasts, but the 2019 Lexus ES handles well enough not to turn them off, has good power in V6 guise, returns fantastic gas mileage in hybrid form, and offers a comfy interior for the route to and from work. Ignore the Camry and Avalon, as we expect most Lexus buyers will, and the result is an admirable take on what could've likely been a bland offering served up to an undiscerning crowd. We just wish Lexus had been able to work in a bit more upmarket mojo inside.
Source

Hoovey689 06-07-18 10:22 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...ac4c0dc650.jpg

The plastics around the shifter, and the buttons don't look as high grade as they should :(

bitkahuna 06-07-18 10:35 AM

motortrend

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...-drive-review/

john341 06-07-18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 10218575)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...ac4c0dc650.jpg

The plastics around the shifter, and the buttons don't look as high grade as they should :(

I bet, when they facelift the car in 2-3 years, that portion of the center console will be all wood or some other materiel. They did the same thing when they face lifted 6 th gen. Anyways, I really love the design of the interior, especially one with mate bamboo.

pman6 06-07-18 10:59 AM

glad they added the blue color

still disappointing it needs a V brace in lieu of fold down seats. They need to get rid of that V brace, and engineer that area better.

Hoovey689 06-07-18 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by john341 (Post 10218600)
I bet, when they facelift the car in 2-3 years, that portion of the center console will be all wood or some other materiel. They did the same thing when they face lifted 6 th gen. Anyways, I really love the design of the interior, especially one with mate bamboo.

Let's hope so. I despise the 2013-2015. 2016+ is significantly better.

BippuLexus 06-07-18 11:15 AM

Redline Review.

Apparently - Lexus claims the Lexus ES competes with the C-Class and 3 Series? I think that's by far the most stupid thing ever. I'm sorry, but the ES has nothing similar to the C-Class or 3 Series. The ES is bigger than the C-Class/3 Series and more luxurious. And the C-Class and 3 Series are RWD Entry-Level Sports Sedans, how is it possible the ES even similar to even be competitors? By this idea - if they end up canceling the IS, they will be making a huge mistake considering there won't be an entry-level RWD car anymore.

BippuLexus 06-07-18 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrmckinley (Post 10218487)
As expected, the exterior resembles a Camry. To me, that is a good thing as the Camry has grown on me and has a very distinct but solid presence on the road. I agree with bitkahuna - it does appear more cramped for the driver - almost like the center area between driver and passenger is wider than before..(??)

It has to resemble bits and pieces of the Camry/Avalon because they are pretty much the same car. All three are built in the TMMK plant in Kentucky. Its just that the Lexus ES has better quality of materials and Lexus "exclusive" features.

Yup. You are correct - the front/passenger seats are more cramped because of the center stack. The center stack area where the transmission/area rest is - is a bit wider than before.