Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to get a service warranty misrepresentation corrected

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 10:56 AM
mtharp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get a service warranty misrepresentation corrected

My husband and I purchased a 2009 ES350 and the best service contract we were offerred. We were told this extended all aspects of the original manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty for 60 months or 60k miles. We wanted to be careful so we asked for the detailed description of the plan and were given the brochure for the Lexus Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement, which we carefully reviewed before agreeing to the purchase. This brochure was the only Lexus Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement included in the packet of documents we were provided at the conclusion of the sale. The Retail Purchase Agreement only states "Lexus Extra Care". Over a month later, we received a brochure, "About Yuor Vehicle Service Agreement" for the GOLD plan which is far more limited than the Platinum one and does not come close to duplicating the original manufacturer's warranty coverage. What can we do to address the misrepresentation and obtain the coverage we were promised?
Thanks!
Old 06-05-18, 07:04 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

What do you have in writing? That’s what the dealer or warranty folks will turn to from a legal standpoint. Word of mouth, when it comes to contract law, has limited weight, unless the dealer is willing to put their reputation on the line if there was a misreprentation.

Some contracts allow a grace period to change your mind, is this available with yours?
Old 06-05-18, 07:43 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

A couple of things....usually, isn't there a period in which it can be outright canceled, provided there are no claims?

Even though I don't believe in them, or didn't, I got them on a BMW and a GM vehicle. The BMW was a disaster, the car turned out to be reliable, go figure. It was on the CR "avoid" and "most unreliable" lists, so getting an extended warranty was like shooting fish in a barrel, right? Wrong.

With my wife's 2011 GM, the warranty was much cheaper. And as expected, the car had multiple things break. If we add up the retail amounts, the repairs add up to about the same as the warranty, and there are 3 mos. left. Oddly, GM is way different than BMW, covers more than it doesn't cover. State inspection said it needed suspension work and the Midas was licking his chops, $1,100. I told him to go ahead, then said whoa nelly, hold up big boy, we'll be back, GMPP covers all the junk you said it needs (thank goodness I had my laptop and looked it up--these were wear items yet GMPP covered).

But on a Lexus, isn't an extended warranty a bad bet? I bought a 2006 Lexus with 81k, in 10/06. If it had an extended warranty, the only thing that has gone wrong, are two front corner park distance sensors, that's it. And this is an old car. One would think extended warranty is not needed on a Lexus. It's a bad bet for most cars and most of the time, but imho not needed on a Lexus....my .02 But again, there is usually a window within which it can be canceled in full and a refund issued...
Old 06-08-18, 02:03 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I never used my extended warranty, but what the H, I also didn't pay for the car.
Old 06-09-18, 01:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mtharp
My husband and I purchased a 2009 ES350 and the best service contract we were offerred. We were told this extended all aspects of the original manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty for 60 months or 60k miles. We wanted to be careful so we asked for the detailed description of the plan and were given the brochure for the Lexus Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement, which we carefully reviewed before agreeing to the purchase. This brochure was the only Lexus Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement included in the packet of documents we were provided at the conclusion of the sale. The Retail Purchase Agreement only states "Lexus Extra Care". Over a month later, we received a brochure, "About Yuor Vehicle Service Agreement" for the GOLD plan which is far more limited than the Platinum one and does not come close to duplicating the original manufacturer's warranty coverage. What can we do to address the misrepresentation and obtain the coverage we were promised?
Thanks!
March right into the dealership GM's office and demand that they rectify it.