Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new acura infotainment and trackpad (alex on autos review)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 10:35 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Sure. A stock navigation can't save you from speed traps. But is "avoiding speed traps" a good enough reason to want Apple/Android Car play? How accurate is the speed trap tracker? Why just not go the speed limit?
For those of us who aren't the Angels on the road that you are, this is a big deal . I love that feature of Waze.

As for Apple CarPlay, I'd want it simply because we didn't get the navi on the RX. Not a dealbreaker, but it'd be nice to have Apple Maps vs Scout GPS that came with our RX.
Old 05-30-18, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
For those of us who aren't the Angels on the road that you are, this is a big deal . I love that feature of Waze.

As for Apple CarPlay, I'd want it simply because we didn't get the navi on the RX. Not a dealbreaker, but it'd be nice to have Apple Maps vs Scout GPS that came with our RX.
Scout GPS is garbage. They should be sued for calling it 'GPS'. It's really just turn by turn directions as in arrows pointing left right and straight. Just call it Map Quest (do people still use that?)
Old 05-30-18, 10:57 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77

I do like Waze as an app. I won't deny the fact that I have used it - but I wouldn't say Waze would be a dealbreaker for me not to buy a car simply because the car can't run Waze or has Apple/Android car play.
Maybe its just me - but I can't get over having the Apple/Android system replacing the car's actual system when the connection is on. It definitely cheapens the car - especially on higher end cars.

Yup - like I mentioned before - Apple Car play or Android Car play is a good option to have on cars without a navigation. Its definitely better than Scout GPS.
Old 05-30-18, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

waze must be more valuable in high traffic areas. i've tried it a few times and maybe since where i am there's not a lot of traffic it just seems like google maps with worse graphics.
Old 05-30-18, 04:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
No way. After enduring 3 years of the touchpad on my NX I will never buy another vehicle with a touchpad for an interface. Acura has made a huge mistake.

That's because the NX has a terrible touchpad system! The 1:1 interface in the Acura seems to be much better because you skip most of the scrolling and go straight to whatever icon you want.
Old 05-30-18, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
No way. After enduring 3 years of the touchpad on my NX I will never buy another vehicle with a touchpad for an interface. Acura has made a huge mistake.
Sucks you had the 2015-2017. The 2018 on the NX, LS, RC, LC. Is significantly better. The UX and ES also slated to get it, so the Remote Touch Mouse controller is likely ending in favor of the touchpad. No more Lexus for you
Old 05-30-18, 05:09 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
waze must be more valuable in high traffic areas. i've tried it a few times and maybe since where i am there's not a lot of traffic it just seems like google maps with worse graphics.
+1 Waze graphics are pretty bad. I have seen graphics on 10 year old cars that are better.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sucks you had the 2015-2017. The 2018 on the NX, LS, RC, LC. Is significantly better. The UX and ES also slated to get it, so the Remote Touch Mouse controller is likely ending in favor of the touchpad. No more Lexus for you
Yup. The new touchpad controller will be Lexus' main system. The older touchpad and the remote control will likely be phased out. I actually like the remote control. It reminds me a bit of the older iDrive.
Old 05-30-18, 05:26 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Everything on Waze is crowdsourced so if you don't have users around you it isn't going to be helpful.

Sure. A stock navigation can't save you from speed traps. But is "avoiding speed traps" a good enough reason to want Apple/Android Car play? How accurate is the speed trap tracker? Why just not go the speed limit?
My point is: I personally don't believe Apple/Android car plays hold enough weight to be consider a deal-breaker. I just don't understand the obsession over it. I believe it makes the car look cheap.

I just want to point out: the Waze Navigation App you speak of only works on Android Car Play - it doesn't work on Apple (which forces you to use Apple Maps). So how do Apple users justify wanting Apple Car play? Clearly Apple Maps is not good compared to standard navigation. And other apps within the selection is purely useless while driving - unless you want to listen to an E-Book while driving.
And that's great for you. I think it looks cheap when people have vent mounts for their phones because they're using their phone's nav because most stock navs suck. Waze is crowdsourced so it's as accurate as the person a few miles ahead of you putting the alert down. Do you drive the speed limit everywhere? I was driving 73 in a 65 in the slow lane and went down to 68 when the hidden cop warnings came up. I then watched cops pull over people who were keeping pace with me at 73. So are ugly graphics worth the cost of a speeding ticket, traffic school, and a few points on my record? I'd say yes

Anyway, back on topic. I quite like the 1:1 trackpad that they have and would be interested in trying it out. My wife's CX-5 is showing its age and we're looking for a replacement. Since we have the van she doesn't need a larger vehicle so this is in play
Old 05-30-18, 08:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I will miss the MB rotary **** when they go full touch pad. I cant stand the current touch pad and never use it. Its not responsive at all.
Old 05-30-18, 08:22 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
And that's great for you. I think it looks cheap when people have vent mounts for their phones because they're using their phone's nav because most stock navs suck. Waze is crowdsourced so it's as accurate as the person a few miles ahead of you putting the alert down. Do you drive the speed limit everywhere? I was driving 73 in a 65 in the slow lane and went down to 68 when the hidden cop warnings came up. I then watched cops pull over people who were keeping pace with me at 73. So are ugly graphics worth the cost of a speeding ticket, traffic school, and a few points on my record? I'd say yes

Anyway, back on topic. I quite like the 1:1 trackpad that they have and would be interested in trying it out. My wife's CX-5 is showing its age and we're looking for a replacement. Since we have the van she doesn't need a larger vehicle so this is in play
I agree. It looks cheap when people have vent mounts for their phones because they are using the navigation VIA phone screen. I have said before - Apple/Android car play are good options for cars with lackluster infotainment systems or a car without navigation. However - I still maintain that it'll look cheap and useless for expensive luxury cars, where majority of the time, they have good infotainment systems. IE: Why use Apple/Android Car play over a BMW iDrive navigation system?

No. I obviously don't drive speed limit. I don't know where you live but - usually in my area - cops aren't **** about being 5 over limit or even 10. In LA county - you can hit up to 80/90 because flow of traffic is just like that. That's why I don't think Waze will be all that helpful if you stay floating around 65 because cops usually won't care. But to answer your question - I would rather chance a ticket than having to stare at an ugly screen graphic after paying over 50K for a car. I would only do this because I know staying around 70 in my area won't yield a ticket.

I'll agree. The RDX will be a good pick up to replace your wife's CX-5. Definitely give the RDX a test drive.
Old 05-30-18, 09:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. It looks cheap when people have vent mounts for their phones because they are using the navigation VIA phone screen. I have said before - Apple/Android car play are good options for cars with lackluster infotainment systems or a car without navigation. However - I still maintain that it'll look cheap and useless for expensive luxury cars, where majority of the time, they have good infotainment systems. IE: Why use Apple/Android Car play over a BMW iDrive navigation system?

No. I obviously don't drive speed limit. I don't know where you live but - usually in my area - cops aren't **** about being 5 over limit or even 10. In LA county - you can hit up to 80/90 because flow of traffic is just like that. That's why I don't think Waze will be all that helpful if you stay floating around 65 because cops usually won't care. But to answer your question - I would rather chance a ticket than having to stare at an ugly screen graphic after paying over 50K for a car. I would only do this because I know staying around 70 in my area won't yield a ticket.

I'll agree. The RDX will be a good pick up to replace your wife's CX-5. Definitely give the RDX a test drive.
I found apple car play absolutely redundant with the iDrive, and much less useful. I did find it useful on several occasions when I rented cars with unintuitive infotainment systems.
Old 05-30-18, 11:32 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I found apple car play absolutely redundant with the iDrive, and much less useful. I did find it useful on several occasions when I rented cars with unintuitive infotainment systems.
Thank you! This is exactly what I have been saying. I found Apple/Android Car play to be 100% useless with the iDrive. I have played with it, searched through forums and the general census is the same - BMW owners won't use Apple/Android Car play over iDrive.

This is why I think its useless to buy or have Apple/Android Car play on luxury cars with good (or even average) infotainment systems. I agree - I did find Apple/Android car play useful on lackluster systems or non-navigation cars. I rented a Camaro SS w/o navigation and used its Apple car play for maps.
Old 05-31-18, 04:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

I am a huge Lexus fan. The NX just moved down a position. Alex agrees the RDX is the winner over the NX. Can not believe they chose to make the panoramic roof and HUD only available overseas and Canada and no Apple car Play or Android Auto. The only slightly negative comments were the dynamic control button and slight limited rear headroom.

Old 05-31-18, 06:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Thank you! This is exactly what I have been saying. I found Apple/Android Car play to be 100% useless with the iDrive. I have played with it, searched through forums and the general census is the same - BMW owners won't use Apple/Android Car play over iDrive.

This is why I think its useless to buy or have Apple/Android Car play on luxury cars with good (or even average) infotainment systems. I agree - I did find Apple/Android car play useful on lackluster systems or non-navigation cars. I rented a Camaro SS w/o navigation and used its Apple car play for maps.
Perhaps you should reconsider your word choice. Redundant? Sure, Apple maps sucks. Useless? Nah, Waze still offers better routing, accident warnings, cop warnings, congestion warnings, and arrival times.
Old 05-31-18, 06:09 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

I've been out in NJ for 5 years, but lived in So Cal for the bulk of my life. Go drive 75 in front of CHP and see if they'll pull you over. I'd rather save 10-15 minutes on my commute everyday than look at a screen with crisp graphics. To each their own

Quick Reply: new acura infotainment and trackpad (alex on autos review)