Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do any "new" cars have xenons standard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 12:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Audi was using xenons of the A3 and A4 not too long ago. I think the base A4 still comes with them.
The Lexus LED loaners I had seemed decent. But I didn't notice a huge improvement over my IS xenons. Only thing bad about the xenons is they are expensive to replace when burned out, and the brilliance is lost when the headlight lenses start discoloring. I'm sure the same can be said for the LED's over time.
Question: Do the LED assemblies dip up and down when you first turn them on (the self-check)? I do like that feature with my xenons.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-22-18 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 01:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There are different implementations of HIDs and LEDs. To the OP - you're driving an LS430, which at it's time had the best HID optics that were highly sought after by people that were doing HID retrofits. So if you compare it to cheaper implementations of LEDs, of course they are going to be better. But higher end LEDs have surpassed HIDs and only getting better.

All in all its a pretty complicated subject, and you need to learn a bit about lighting to understand how different technologies work and their ups and downs.
As IIHS testing has taught us, it is not always the price that matters either. Up until 2018 NX, Lexus triple beam headlights actually provided inferior illumination to standard LED headlights. And now 2018 NX lights up the road better than premium LEDs in 2018 E class or 2018 5 series. And even base LEDs pass the tests with flying colors, not so on BMW/MB.

Pretty sure it is direct result of the IIHS testing, that gave them correct guidelines and competition.
Old 05-22-18, 05:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There are different implementations of HIDs and LEDs. To the OP - you're driving an LS430, which at it's time had the best HID optics that were highly sought after by people that were doing HID retrofits. So if you compare it to cheaper implementations of LEDs, of course they are going to be better. But higher end LEDs have surpassed HIDs and only getting better.

All in all its a pretty complicated subject, and you need to learn a bit about lighting to understand how different technologies work and their ups and downs.
One thing I notice when comparing the LS430 to the 335i, is that BMW designed the adaptive swivel action on my '07 to be much more subtle. However, one can actually see the projector swivel--to do an extreme, I can turn the wheel all the way to the left at night (has to be dark as adaptive only works on auto), and the right projector has swiveled more than the left. I also think it was cool to have cornering lamps back in 2007 as they actually are functional and powered by a H8. The Lexus doesn't seem to swivel physically on the outside (unless I can't detect it for some reason), but seems symmetrical right and left. Two different algorithms I believe.

I like xenons better, probably personal preference. I feel that the marginal cost increase is worth it, and thankfully they consume less power than halogens. I like the way they behave when they fire up, illuminate and check themselves, and have high voltage warning stickers under the hood with a stick figure getting electrocuted. This is one of those times I feel disappointed that the technology changed...
Old 05-22-18, 06:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
One thing I notice when comparing the LS430 to the 335i, is that BMW designed the adaptive swivel action on my '07 to be much more subtle. However, one can actually see the projector swivel--to do an extreme, I can turn the wheel all the way to the left at night (has to be dark as adaptive only works on auto), and the right projector has swiveled more than the left. I also think it was cool to have cornering lamps back in 2007 as they actually are functional and powered by a H8. The Lexus doesn't seem to swivel physically on the outside (unless I can't detect it for some reason), but seems symmetrical right and left. Two different algorithms I believe.

I like xenons better, probably personal preference. I feel that the marginal cost increase is worth it, and thankfully they consume less power than halogens. I like the way they behave when they fire up, illuminate and check themselves, and have high voltage warning stickers under the hood with a stick figure getting electrocuted. This is one of those times I feel disappointed that the technology changed...
As I said above, new IIHS testing really tells us scientifically how good it is, for instance no new 2018 BMW test gets Good rating at headlights test right now:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-4-door-sedan
Old 05-22-18, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ interesting (on iihs)...

i tried looking up lexus LS and looks like they have hardly any info. the rx, is and gs have 'acceptable' headlights like the 3 series.
i was surprised the GS does not have superior crash protection (the RX does).
and yes, looks like the NX has the best Lexus ratings!!!!

my g90 has 'good' headlights (and everything except 'acceptable' child anchors) and superior crash protection.
Old 05-22-18, 03:02 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Lexus LED loaners I had seemed decent. But I didn't notice a huge improvement over my IS xenons. Only thing bad about the xenons is they are expensive to replace when burned out, and the brilliance is lost when the headlight lenses start discoloring. I'm sure the same can be said for the LED's over time.
Question: Do the LED assemblies dip up and down when you first turn them on (the self-check)? I do like that feature with my xenons.
Our 2018 GS with the standard Bi-LED headlights are significantly brighter than our 2015 GS with the standard Bi-HID headlights. Not only are they brighter but they appear to have a wider & longer throw as well with a more even/consistent beam pattern. I tend not to drive our 2015 at night because I feel like I can't see very well with the headlights and strongly prefer the 2018 system.

Upon startup, the standard Bi-LED system in the 2018 does not move up and down with a little light show like the Bi-HID system does on our 2015 but you do see them adjust up/down slightly in accordance to vehicle load. I believe the optional triple beam LEDs do a little dance upon startup however. I too like that feature and miss it on the 2018.
Old 05-23-18, 10:20 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is one of my goals to keep HIDs from dying out. I hope to even incorporate it into the taillights, which has never been done. The color generated from HIDs is one step better than what LEDs can generate.

BTW, guys, more light isn't better, because you don't want too much detail when you are driving on the road. What you need is to see further ahead, and that can only be achieved with a higher sitting car such as an suv or truck.
Old 05-23-18, 11:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i tried looking up lexus LS and looks like they have hardly any info. the rx, is and gs have 'acceptable' headlights like the 3 series.

my g90 has 'good' headlights (and everything except 'acceptable' child anchors) and superior crash protection.
depends on MY for superior, it needs LSS+... so 2018 GS certainly is fine but it needs to be tested again.

Same goes for LS, new model needs to be tested for headlights, they started headlight testing only recently (not even 12 months ago).

For G90, you can even see tech spec on how far lights go:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...0-4-door-sedan

(click on headlights and then technical measurement).

It is excellent service from IIHS because it lets manufacturers follow a standard and you can see with Lexus models how it improves the lighting in vehicles that were updated in past year or so.

edit: also IIHS only tests auto brake systems up to 25 mph, that is very low speeds. They need to up this to at least 40 mph but something like 60 mph would be good.

Last edited by spwolf; 05-23-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 11:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
It is one of my goals to keep HIDs from dying out. I hope to even incorporate it into the taillights, which has never been done. The color generated from HIDs is one step better than what LEDs can generate.

BTW, guys, more light isn't better, because you don't want too much detail when you are driving on the road. What you need is to see further ahead, and that can only be achieved with a higher sitting car such as an suv or truck.
Kind of like when everyone went to fluorescent, the package would say, "Lasts 22 years! Save money!" It would likely in 1999 take 22 yrs. of use to break even, the devices buzzed and had a weird heavy object that screwed into the socket, and the light was horrible. LED was not good either when people started to use in homes, and expensive. But I hear you, I feel HID is in the sweet spot for color and application. LED is more complicated to do the same. Look at an Acura MDX, I consider that stylistically to be quite ugly. Better off with xenons.
Old 05-23-18, 01:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is not true. There are many different colors that can be generated by HIDs and LEDs, if you remember back when HIDs were popular there were many aftermarket bulbs that went from green to purple. There were warm white HIDs as well, although they were not used in automotive application, but I actually had a 100 watt warm white HID phillips bulp in my back yard fixture.

Generally, the best quality color is generated by incandescent and halogen, as they have continuous spectrum and 100% color rendering index, although recent research shows that CRI standard is outdated.

That being said, xenon and fluorescent generally have the lowest quality light with poor CRI and poor spectrum. Same problem for cheaper LEDs with poor spectrum, and sometimes even noticeable flicker, but high end LEDs can surpass even halogen when measured with according with new standard.

However, when driving on the road CRI isn't very important. I actually like the warm white color of halogens, because it doesn't get absorbed as much by dark road surface. This color can be easily done with LEDs and HIDs with many times the light output of halogens, but nobody does it because the trend is 4100k-6000k color temp.

That is also very untrue, light output on the road has nothing to do with height of the vehicle, it has to do with optics and headlight adjustment. However, it is true that amount of light (if measured in luminous output) doesn't tell the whole story. I suggest you do some reading on this.
Old 05-23-18, 01:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Kind of like when everyone went to fluorescent, the package would say, "Lasts 22 years! Save money!" It would likely in 1999 take 22 yrs. of use to break even, the devices buzzed and had a weird heavy object that screwed into the socket, and the light was horrible. LED was not good either when people started to use in homes, and expensive. But I hear you, I feel HID is in the sweet spot for color and application. LED is more complicated to do the same. Look at an Acura MDX, I consider that stylistically to be quite ugly. Better off with xenons.
The only advantage that HID currently has over LED, is that you're able to get more luminous output from a smaller source, which allows for the furthest throw. On the other hand, the light source is not directional, and the light travels in all directions and requires mirrored housing to recapture it and point it back on the road through a projector. A lot of light is lost in the process.

LEDs also require projectors, but they are directional so no need for mirrors and less loss of light. With the sophisticated LED clusters and multi projector setups they are able to achieve further throw, wider beam, and with technologies like BMWs adaptive LED they can control the light beam and vary light distribution.

Old 05-23-18, 02:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LEDs housings are more light dense and smaller packaging than HID. Example is the LC500 lights, couldnt have made those without LED.
Old 05-23-18, 05:07 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Here is a compilation of the crash prevention systems found on the IS, GS, LS, NX, RX & LX. They do multiple tests simulating both vehicles and pedestrians at varying speeds. The GS actually outperforms some of the other models in the tests at both higher and lower speeds. My favorite part is how drama free it stops with minimal nose dive and then rebound, especially compared to the RX or even LS, though the LS does well in this regard as well for such a large and heavy car.

Last edited by signdetres; 05-23-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 07:27 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Och, where are you getting all of this info from? Do you work on car headlights?
Old 05-23-18, 07:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Och, where are you getting all of this info from? Do you work on car headlights?
No, but I'm interested in lighting technology in general, so I've learned a thing or two over the years.

Quick Reply: Do any "new" cars have xenons standard?