Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone going to the NYC Lexus event

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 05:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

haha I don't exactly remember all the details to the 2005 event I was at, but I could have sworn it was much bigger. The interesting thing about Lexus is the extent to which they go with their customer service mentality. My wife really couldn't drive since we had a toddler, but they gave him a wristband as well lol When the crew saw that he was bored, they gave him a tour and demonstrated the new LS hybrid to him as well as the stereo it had.

All in all I would say BMW knows how to put on the best events, and has more exciting products. Porsche has the most exciting cars, but the staff could benefit if sent to Lexus customer training. Lexus people try hard with what they have. Pretty sure the Susan Komen events were canceled by BMW due to the number of accidents/damage to the BMW vehicles, people always went off course with joyriders showing up at the last minute (contract stipulates their insurance not responsible if you are off course).

I skipped the hybrids since I have to do the gift card test drive, but I would say the LC was the nicest car to drive, with the RC F being the most performance. I liked the LS but the steering is a huge disappointment. We had to use the GW to the RFK, so I'm still waiting for my PANYNJ car pool plan rate to show up on my E-ZPass statement....
Old 05-28-18, 08:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The event this year was MUCH better event than last year at Belmont but it is not as big or well organized as the BMW events.
Refreshments
They put out only water and energy bars which is cheap for a luxury brand imo lol.
At least have some coffee and cookies also.
Venue
Citi field setup was very good and there was plenty of space for the handling portion.
The street drive of LS was NOT good as you had to follow a lead car driving around the stadium at 20mph with Stop signs every 200ft. BMW at same venue lets you take the car by yourself and has a route that is pre-programmed which goes on regular roads outside of the stadium.
Staff
All the staff was amazing.
The biggest treat was meeting and speaking to Scott Pruett.
He also took us on a Hot lap in a GSF. Super cool guy!
They also had a product expert there which couldn’t deny or confirm the death of GS but welcomed feedback of What Lexus can do better.
Vehicles/Courses
1. LS - Street drive at slow speed following a lead car. It was OK. I drove an Fsport model, it is definitely not your typical LS that the brand is known for. Very tight cockpit, the new gearshift is a disaster (took me 5min to put it in Drive), ride is OK but a bit rough over potholes, handling is superb, steering is much heavier than any past LS i have ever driven, V6 engine - not a fan as its loud on acceleration and there is a huge throttle delay from stop even in Sport + mode. I’m also not a fan of the exterior styling.

2. Handling Course- Featured the LC and RCF. Both cars are amazing imo. Lexus has done a poor job of marketing, pricing and packaging them. They should be selling much better. The exhaust sound on the LC is comparable to Jag Ftype.

3. Hybrid Course - They had LCh, RXh, NXh and new LSh.
4. Safety Course - Experience Lexus systems, this was empty lot as not lot of interest, I passed.

Vehicles on display - Siracha IS lol, new ESh, LC from black panther, GSF, new UX and LC500.
They didn’t have the new LS500 on display at all - this to me is a HUGE miss. You throw an event to promote the new LS500 and you have none on display that ppl can test features, ask questions etc. Also none had the top of the line luxury package.
LX and GX were also MIA - very strange.

Gift
You get a plastic bag and a $1,000 certificate to buy a Lexus.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-28-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-28-18, 08:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The event this year was MUCH better event than last year at Belmont but it is not as big or well organized as the BMW events.
Refreshments
They put out only water and energy bars which is cheap for a luxury brand imo lol.
At least have some coffee and cookies also.
Venue
Citi field setup was very good and there was plenty of space for the handling portion.
The street drive of LS was NOT good as you had to follow a lead car driving around the stadium at 20mph with Stop signs every 200ft. BMW at same venue lets you take the car by yourself and has a route that is pre-programmed which goes on regular roads outside of the stadium.
Staff
All the staff was amazing.
The biggest treat was meeting and speaking to Scott Pruett.
He also took us on a Hot lap in a GSF. Super cool guy!
They also had a product expert there which couldn’t deny or confirm the death of GS but welcomed feedback of What Lexus can do better.
Vehicles/Courses
1. LS - Street drive at slow speed following a lead car. It was OK. I drove an Fsport model, it is definitely not your typical LS that the brand is known for. Very tight cockpit, the new gearshift is a disaster (took me 5min to put it in Drive), ride is OK but a bit rough over potholes, handling is superb, steering is much heavier than any past LS i have ever driven, V6 engine - not a fan as its loud on acceleration and there is a huge throttle delay from stop even in Sport + mode. I’m also not a fan of the exterior styling.

2. Handling Course- Featured the LC and RCF. Both cars are amazing imo. Lexus has done a poor job of marketing, pricing and packaging them. They should be selling much better. The exhaust sound on the LC is comparable to Jag Ftype.

3. Hybrid Course - They had LCh, RXh, NXh and new LSh.
4. Safety Course - Experience Lexus systems, this was empty lot as not lot of interest, I passed.

Vehicles on display - Siracha IS lol, new ESh, LC from black panther, GSF, new UX and LC500.
They didn’t have the new LS500 on display at all - this to me is a HUGE miss. You throw an event to promote the new LS500 and you have none on display that ppl can test features, ask questions etc. Also none had the top of the line luxury package.
LX and GX were also MIA - very strange.

Gift
You get a plastic bag and a $1,000 certificate to buy a Lexus.

Excellent write up! I did not know there were LS500 F types in the drive--I saw one parked but all the other cars were normal ones it seemed. The cars had like 140 miles on the ODOs and were left idling. The entire time I waited for the LC/RCFs, the LS500s were all idling unattended. I think it would be ok to shut them off.

They did have a LS hybrid inside, and they demonstrated the features....ah it's a not yet introduced ES, thought it was a LS

Again, you hit the nail on the head, the staff really goes out of their way with what limited products and resources they had. The intro guy said the gift is pretty awful but please do enjoy the drives...wish I had asked for a LS500 F sport, 100% positive the staff would have let me drive one...I did not see one, and I suppose it was a short drive no biggie. The guy I was partnered with had a hard time getting his belly under the wheel and then he could not get it out of park, and da**** if I knew I have not driven it before either...so the pack was long gone before they saw we weren't there lol

p.s. to complete the NYC experience, as I stopped to make sure with the guard that it was ok to enter the stadium, a dude lays in on the horn, we're not talking a brief tap...

edit p.p.s. I'm not a Mets fan, what's with the shanty town of car repair huts along the way lol reminded me of some places I've been abroad

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-28-18 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-28-18, 08:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-28-18 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-28-18, 08:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

ahhhhhh.......ES......that's me in the background! (j/k)
Old 05-28-18, 08:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Old 05-28-18, 08:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Old 05-28-18, 08:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Excellent write up! I did not know there were LS500 F types in the drive--I saw one parked but all the other cars were normal ones it seemed. The cars had like 140 miles on the ODOs and were left idling. The entire time I waited for the LC/RCFs, the LS500s were all idling unattended. I think it would be ok to shut them off.

They did have a LS hybrid inside, and they demonstrated the features....ah it's a not yet introduced ES, thought it was a LS

Again, you hit the nail on the head, the staff really goes out of their way with what limited products and resources they had. The intro guy said the gift is pretty awful but please do enjoy the drives...wish I had asked for a LS500 F sport, 100% positive the staff would have let me drive one...I did not see one, and I suppose it was a short drive no biggie. The guy I was partnered with had a hard time getting his belly under the wheel and then he could not get it out of park, and da**** if I knew I have not driven it before either...so the pack was long gone before they saw we weren't there lol

p.s. to complete the NYC experience, as I stopped to make sure with the guard that it was ok to enter the stadium, a dude lays in on the horn, we're not talking a brief tap...

edit p.p.s. I'm not a Mets fan, what's with the shanty town of car repair huts along the way lol reminded me of some places I've been abroad
Ye I specifically asked for an Fsport, I believe they had a few and one had a red interior. My had like 220miles on Odometer which was awesome.
The LS on display may have been added later.
Willet’s Point mechanics are legendary LOL. They will try to fix something even if you’re driving a New Lexus with 10 miles on it. They were supposed to be kicked out of that area to build condos but not sure what happened.
Old 05-28-18, 08:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Ye I specifically asked for an Fsport, I believe they had a few and one had a red interior. My had like 220miles on Odometer which was awesome.
The LS on display may have been added later.
Willet’s Point mechanics are legendary LOL. They will try to fix something even if you’re driving a New Lexus with 10 miles on it. They were supposed to be kicked out of that area to build condos but not sure what happened.

You are right, it was an ES....I did not go inside but a guy named Tim at Lexus asked the woman to give my wife and son a demo since my son was bored, extremely nice to do that....

That's what the world needs more of, condos! lol It did strike me as odd how close they are to the new stadium. I vaguely remember the old Yankee Stadium (went to WS in 2001 game 6) having very sketchy looking shops right next to it. In a way it's kind of cool to see what's left of a non "Disney"-fied NYC!
Old 05-28-18, 09:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

cool write-ups, thanks!

i think i'm gonna rename the ES "pacman". why? well it ate a lot of potential GS sales and now i think it will eat some LS sales.
Old 06-08-18, 12:38 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you get the $1,000 certificate to buy a new Lexus at the event, or do they mail it to you?
Old 06-08-18, 01:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

They email it - a few days later.