ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Toyota did build a better Camry (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/888981-toyota-did-build-a-better-camry.html)

My0gr81 05-15-18 05:34 PM

Toyota did build a better Camry

This is the kind of crash from which urban legends are spawned, but thankfully a whole lot of modern engineering went into preventing the Camry from becoming an accord-ion (zing)

source: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news...cid=spartandhp

Toys4RJill 05-15-18 06:30 PM

Interesting marketing ploy. Not sure if it would translate into sales. But yes, modern cars are much more superior in crashes than those from the rear past.

mmarshall 05-15-18 06:37 PM

While that is indeed an impressive example, it's not really that much different from the way most sedans are designed nowadays. Both the hood/engine compartment and trunk are designed to buckle and crumple under pressure to protect the cabin. And the cabin, of course, is surrounded by high-strength steel in the unibody. That is also one reason (among several) why so many modern vehicles have transverse engines....it gives more room under the hood for it to crumple and protect the cabin.

Sulu 05-15-18 07:54 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8037e89c6b.jpg

It looks to me that what saved that car and its single occupant was the fact that the front bumper of the semi-tractor over-ran and flattened the trunk of the Camry into the ground (luckily that tractor stopped in time before over-running the passenger cabin). The force on the Camry was then pointed down rather than forward so that there was very, very little forward speed and momentum into the truck in front.

I believe that the Camry's driver was darned lucky. Had the following semi driver been going a bit faster and braking a little slower at the time of impact, the Camry would have been pushed straight forward at a higher speed and higher momentum into the truck in front. The result would have been the Camry truly flattened between the 2 trucks. It was either that or the rear bumper bar on the truck in front would have sliced up the front, including the windshield (and driver), of the Camry.

The Camry's driver is lucky to be alive.

Fizzboy7 05-15-18 10:11 PM

Something doesn't add up with the story and damage results. A rear-ender, if that's what really happened, would have caused a different type of damage. It would have pushed the sheet metal in, up and out, and also covered the rear wheels. The suspension would be broken and sagging, the gas tank down, and there would be some deformity with the roof and rear doors. This looks more like it got run over from the side or an angle. The only part supporting the story is the crunched front, but that could have happened as a result of being pushed around after impact.
I'm not buying it. Even with today's crush zones and high standards, there would be problems with the roof, fenders, and passenger compartment.

spwolf 05-16-18 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 10200225)
Something doesn't add up with the story and damage results. A rear-ender, if that's what really happened, would have caused a different type of damage. It would have pushed the sheet metal in, up and out, and also covered the rear wheels. The suspension would be broken and sagging, the gas tank down, and there would be some deformity with the roof and rear doors. This looks more like it got run over from the side or an angle. The only part supporting the story is the crunched front, but that could have happened as a result of being pushed around after impact.
I'm not buying it. Even with today's crush zones and high standards, there would be problems with the roof, fenders, and passenger compartment.

it looks exactly as truck crushing it in the back while the car hit another car up front and stopping when hitting cabin area. 2018 aced IIHS small overlap too with very small intrusions of cabin that were less than several inches.

Just the way that modern car with 5 star IIHS test performs.

My0gr81 05-16-18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by spwolf (Post 10200409)
it looks exactly as truck crushing it in the back while the car hit another car up front and stopping when hitting cabin area. 2018 aced IIHS small overlap too with very small intrusions of cabin that were less than several inches.

OK so I do see the point that at least the rear passenger glass should have shattered. It's supposed to do that to minimize glass cuts and help emergency workers extricate rear passengers. When I originally posted this I didn't question it, just thought the zinger for the "accord" was cute. Now, something is off, too clean and too convenient.

Fizzboy7 05-16-18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by spwolf (Post 10200409)

I don't see it that way. After studying accidents for several decades, this does not fit the typical rear-end damage. It looks much more like a truck ran over the side, continued across, and flattened everything.
Yes, today's cars are built ten times better than yesterdays. Props to the Camry, whatever happened here. I'm a firm believer, "never believe anything you see on the internet." My bet is the dealer did work on this car before slipping it into the showroom. They aren't going to mention that part. They are going to do things to get people's reaction in a showroom to gain sales.

corradoMR2 05-17-18 03:52 AM

Interesting read and agree the Camry is superior in engineering and tech/safety. Where it (and virtually all Toyotas) has fallen short compared to the 80s and 90s is in interior materials and build quality. Fair trade-off it seems to keep the costs in check...

mmarshall 05-17-18 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by corradoMR2 (Post 10201189)
Interesting read and agree the Camry is superior in engineering and tech/safety. Where it (and virtually all Toyotas) has fallen short compared to the 80s and 90s is in interior materials and build quality. Fair trade-off it seems to keep the costs in check...

Exactly. As usual, corrado, you hit the nail on the head. :):thumbup:

Johnhav430 05-17-18 06:19 AM

Guess the do not touch paper on the trunk eliminates liability if a toddler in the showroom gets cut by glass

Toys4RJill 05-17-18 06:19 AM

mmmm. I don’t know if you are really correct. The 80s and 90s Toyota’s had good interiors and we’re competitive however they were not particularly the best as they were mid pack. I owned plenty of 80s and 90s Toyota’s and the new ones are better and are much better designed. (Aside from Lexus remote touch). I think a lot of people want to live in some sort of fantasy past, there were very pathetic GM and Ford interiors back then, S-10 Chevy comes to mind, but the competition has gotten better, but it still does mean Toyota has gotten worse.

Just thought I would mention that the 07 Camry was MT car of the year, yet that same magazine claims the current Accord is a better car than the current Camry. And who won the 2008 Truck of the Year? It would be be Tundra. Haven’t seen Hyundai win a single car of the year award.

spwolf 05-17-18 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 10201147)
I don't see it that way. After studying accidents for several decades, this does not fit the typical rear-end damage. It looks much more like a truck ran over the side, continued across, and flattened everything.
Yes, today's cars are built ten times better than yesterdays. Props to the Camry, whatever happened here. I'm a firm believer, "never believe anything you see on the internet." My bet is the dealer did work on this car before slipping it into the showroom. They aren't going to mention that part. They are going to do things to get people's reaction in a showroom to gain sales.

you never stop learning fizzboy7. Here is original article and fb posts about it:
http://www.thedrive.com/news/20852/t...y-a-semi-truck

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...edde00cf55.jpg

spwolf 05-17-18 06:38 AM

sure, although it depends on what are we comparing them to... but also latest models have nice interiors compared to similar vehicles and Camry even got Top 10 interior award from Ward.

braddman 05-17-18 06:57 AM

I don't like the new ones near as much as the old ones.