Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek PHEV coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 03:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Subaru Crosstrek PHEV coming soon

It uses Toyota hybrid tech

Subaru just announced its first-ever plug-in hybrid, and it comes in the form of its third-best-selling car, the Crosstrek. This is actually fitting in a couple of ways. First off, it's a quick-selling vehicle, but also because the Crosstrek was the model used for Subaru's first conventional hybrid, introduced for the 2014 model year. Sadly, the company has yet to reveal photos of the new hybrid, hence our inclusion of photos of the old model.

The Crosstrek PHEV will also have a similarity to the Subaru BRZ in the sense that it benefits from Toyotatechnology. The company said that the hybrid system comes from Toyota. But don't fear, Subaru fans, it's still mated to a flat-four. The crossover will, like many other PHEVs, be capable of driving in full-EV mode and in conventional hybrid mode. The company hasn't announced how much range it will have.

Subaru did reveal that the new PHEV is coming soon, with an on-sale date at the end of 2018. As such we should see photos and more details in the near future. While there aren't many plug-in hybrid compact crossovers, there are a few, and they're fairly compelling. The closest competition will be the Kia Niro PHEV, which has a claimed range of 26 miles and a solid 46 mpg when running with the gas engine. It starts at $28,840. Another potential competitor is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, which provides 22 miles of electric-only range and a less impressive 25 mpg with the gas engine.
Source
Old 05-11-18, 06:44 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

So, Toyota (or maybe Aisin) adapted the PSD / eCVT to the Symmetrical AWD system? I wonder if Toyota would/could use this AWD hybrid transmission in some future Lexus product (to compete against the Audi A4, A6, A8, perhaps)?
Old 05-12-18, 06:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny how they used 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid pics in the article, better to just use the 2018 Crosstrek pics.
Old 05-12-18, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Crosstrek or Outback (maybe a Forester?) is probably what I would be driving if I needed a dedicated snow vehicle...though, since retiring, I don't need to drive much in winter conditions anymore. Almost everyone I know of who owns a Subaru has been well-pleased with them, though their overall reliability, today, according to several sources, is not what it once was. Still, the Subaru Symmetrical AWD system is probably the best car-based AWD system on the market....its exact components, and type of center-differential, varies somewhat with the engine and transmission. The former Audi Quattro, in effectiveness, will give the Subaru systems a run for the money, but the latest Quattros have exchanged a full-time system (like Subaru's) for what is essentially an on-demand system where power is sent to the other two wheels only when the primary drive wheels slip.
Old 05-12-18, 08:54 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Ooof, what a pretty little beast that is. I love the Crosstrek and Mazda's CX-4 for being more like wagons with high ground clearance than baby SUVs.

The only Toyota AWD hybrid drivetrain I can think uses an extra rear axle motor instead of a mechanical propshaft to the back like what Subaru traditionally uses. The Crosstrek PHEV could use a variant of the RAV4 hybrid or NX300h drivetrain with a larger battery pack from the Prius Prime. The previous Crosstrek hybrid had an electric motor pancaked on to the CVT transmission, similar to VW hybrids and PHEVs, and the improvement in fuel consumption couldn't justify the huge price premium over non-hybrids.

Last edited by chromedome; 05-12-18 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Info on old Crosstrek hybrid
Old 05-12-18, 03:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Ooof, what a pretty little beast that is. I love the Crosstrek and Mazda's CX-4 for being more like wagons with high ground clearance than baby SUVs.

The only Toyota AWD hybrid drivetrain I can think uses an extra rear axle motor instead of a mechanical propshaft to the back like what Subaru traditionally uses. The Crosstrek PHEV could use a variant of the RAV4 hybrid or NX300h drivetrain with a larger battery pack from the Prius Prime. The previous Crosstrek hybrid had an electric motor pancaked on to the CVT transmission, similar to VW hybrids and PHEVs, and the improvement in fuel consumption couldn't justify the huge price premium over non-hybrids.
i dont see why it could not be mated to full time awd system (like in LS), problem with that is efficiency. Using new e-four system that gives 30% more torque to the back, will make it better in snow but also a lot more efficient than full time awd.

edit: subaru's press release does say that it is using symmetrical all wheel drive, so it will be full time awd system.

Last edited by spwolf; 05-12-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 06:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Seeing that this is a plug-in hybrid, I think that it will use a hybrid system similar to the Prius Prime's system, but adapted from the transverse FWD transmission to the longitudinal AWD transmission that other Subarus use.
Old 05-12-18, 08:34 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Seeing that this is a plug-in hybrid, I think that it will use a hybrid system similar to the Prius Prime's system, but adapted from the transverse FWD transmission to the longitudinal AWD transmission that other Subarus use.
I'm not sure how they would go about mating the Toyota PSD hybrid drivetrain to Subaru's AWD system at the current price point. Only the RX450h uses a PSD drivetrain with a propshaft and center differential but it's a $60k car. The NX300h and RAV4 AWD hybrid use an electric motor on the rear.
Old 05-12-18, 09:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I rather see more attractive offerings flood the highway. There's no reason we can't have the two in one package. Thumbs down all the way for this frumpy, dated, homely-mobile.
Old 05-13-18, 06:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Almost everyone I know of who owns a Subaru has been well-pleased with them, though their overall reliability, today, according to several sources, is not what it once was.
I have 52k miles on my WRX and I have to say that it's the most reliable Subaru that I've had. My only complaint is that the battery died after 3.5 years, which seems like a short lifespan to me. Other than that, the car has exceeded my expectations.

Regarding the Crosstrek PHEV, I think that this is a mistake. My wife and I were browsing last week and we were shocked to see a Crosstrek on the lot stickered at $33k. So I can only imagine that a PHEV variant would cost more and if I'm spending that kind of money on a Subaru, I'm going to get an Outback.
Old 05-13-18, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I have 52k miles on my WRX and I have to say that it's the most reliable Subaru that I've had. My only complaint is that the battery died after 3.5 years, which seems like a short lifespan to me. Other than that, the car has exceeded my expectations.
Yes, the Subaru turbo engines seem to have avoided some of the reliability problems that the N/A 2.0s and 2.5s have had.....from what I understand, they use different head gaskets and piston rings.
Old 05-13-18, 04:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure how they would go about mating the Toyota PSD hybrid drivetrain to Subaru's AWD system at the current price point. Only the RX450h uses a PSD drivetrain with a propshaft and center differential but it's a $60k car. The NX300h and RAV4 AWD hybrid use an electric motor on the rear.
Toyota already builds longitudinal RWD PSD transmissions (e.g. for GS 450h) so I don't think it would be that difficult adapting it for use in a Subaru. I don't want to over-simplify things, but just replace the Subaru's gearbox (i.e. just the CVT) with a PSD and leave the mechanical connection to the centre differential, and the mechanical connections to the front and rear differentials in place.
Old 05-14-18, 02:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota already builds longitudinal RWD PSD transmissions (e.g. for GS 450h) so I don't think it would be that difficult adapting it for use in a Subaru. I don't want to over-simplify things, but just replace the Subaru's gearbox (i.e. just the CVT) with a PSD and leave the mechanical connection to the centre differential, and the mechanical connections to the front and rear differentials in place.
indeed... I mean thats happening and it is going on sale within few months anyway.
Old 11-12-18, 07:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid PHEV Boasts Prius Prime-Like Electric Range

Subaru’s first plug-in almost goes the distance.

Way back in May of this year, Subaru officially announced its first plug-in hybrid model – the 2019 Crosstrek Hybrid – that should enter the U.S. market near the end of 2018.

***Note – UDDS stands for Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, and refers to a United States Environmental Protection Agency mandated dynamometer test on fuel economy that represents city driving conditions which is used for light duty vehicle testing.
That’s certainly not Chevy Volt territory (53 miles / combined), but it will challenge the Toyota Prius Prime (of which it’s loosely based off of) at 25 electric miles combined.

Subaru named its plug-in hybrid simply Hybrid, like the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Of course, this is quite a confusing name too, as the Crosstrek Hybrid was around in the past, but in conventional hybrid form, not this new plug-in version.

As previously mentioned, Subaru makes use of the Toyota Hybrid System (THS) that is integrated with Subaru’s four-cylinder direct-injection BOXER engine, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and an all-new transmission.

The PHEV model was already expected this year with an all-electric Subaru hinted for 2021.

https://insideevs.com/2019-subaru-cr...id-phev-range/

Last edited by bagwell; 11-12-18 at 07:44 PM.