Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Given what we know about Lexus' direction, will you consider a Lexus in the future?
Yes, I currently own a Lexus and would be interested in another
55.96%
Yes, I don't currently own a Lexus but I would be interested in buying one based on what I've seen
5.50%
No, I currently own a Lexus but I don't see myself buying another based on what I've seen
28.44%
No, I no longer own a Lexus and I based on what I've seen I don't anticipate buying another.
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 07:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The only Lexus model I have some interest in is the LC, but only a LC F (which reportedly will not happen) can truly excite me, I think Lexus have pretty much given up on competing with the German big 3 based on what they did with the LS and GS the past 5+ years ...
Old 05-03-18, 07:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Design is subjective and I actually like the LC, LS, and new ES designs. That said, a lack of compelling engines, a refusal to offer Android Auto, some really stupid option limitations (no fog lights or ML available on the GS F-Sport in the NE), and an increase in the reliability of other brands means this will be my last Lexus for a while
Old 05-03-18, 08:00 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's getting pretty thin for our family. my wife is already not with lexus and she sees little point in having lexus. i am still driving my gs but as of now there is very high chance i will not stay with the brand. simply put, there is nothing in the lexus lineup that excites me. LS? i would easily pick the S-class over it. LC? nice but i am not 50 yr old yet. the main attractive point on lexus is still price, and that's what kept me in the brand when i got my 2015 GS and 2016 GS.
I waited to see an LS in person before I could judge it. I must say it was disappointing. My son also likes cars. We drove pass an LS in parking lot and didn’t have a feel for it. On the other hand the S always gives me that want if I can afford it. I too had two GS and thought they were awesome and affordable. We moved on thw SUVs. I never anticipated this to happen. But it seems like we like it high more.
To answer the poll question I will most likely stay with the brand. There may be a different car in the house but it would be for a different purpose. Daily drives will most likely be Lexus for us.
Old 05-03-18, 08:13 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We are starting to look at suv's. I am so-so about the lexus lineup, but my wife likes the new RX. So we'll see. I'm on the fence.
Old 05-03-18, 08:14 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
The two Lexus that interest me now are LX570 & LC500. I don't see myself getting another Lexus anytime soon.

1. Don't want to give up the SC430 for a non-convertible LC.
2. Wife complaints the LX570 is too big for her to drive.
I'd have to agree with you. I love my LX 570! It drives well for a big vehicle...and reminds me of the luxurious Lexus vehicles I loved of the past. I considered the LC 500, but picked this up instead last week.

Last edited by Frog98; 05-03-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 08:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I moved on from Lexus long ago and so have my friends and family that used to have multiple Lexus vehicles at the same time. The amount of attractive offerings from BMW MB and Audi are hard to pass up not to mention certain models from Porsche, Jag, Range Rover, Maserati, Alfa etc.

Although I haven't owned a Lexus since 2009 - I still liked the brand.
The only car that I really like from the current lineup is the RCF.

Again I keep on saying it there is no reason why brands like Volvo, Genesis and Audi offer more compelling vehicles than Lexus which was once the one pushing the envelope.
Old 05-03-18, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And even with price though. With Genesis we have what seems like a company interested in building luxury cars the right way at an even bigger price delta.

Here's a question, would you lease a G80 Sport 5.0 V8 for $100 a month less than your 16 GS?
i am not sure how realistic this is now, but in the 2015 and 2016 your example didn't apply. on both GSs i am paying below 550 a month with 0 down. and both times i checked on the genesis and the v8 cost more than the GS.

if today you tell me the GS is 550 and i can lease the g80 v8 for 450? i think the choice is clear (again, if the price is realistic)

Originally Posted by 1111GS

I waited to see an LS in person before I could judge it. I must say it was disappointing. My son also likes cars. We drove pass an LS in parking lot and didn’t have a feel for it. On the other hand the S always gives me that want if I can afford it. I too had two GS and thought they were awesome and affordable. We moved on thw SUVs. I never anticipated this to happen. But it seems like we like it high more.
To answer the poll question I will most likely stay with the brand. There may be a different car in the house but it would be for a different purpose. Daily drives will most likely be Lexus for us.
i think we are very similar. i still can't find myself excited about the new LS, nothing like when i saw the 2007. the new one just doesn't look special to me, interior is nice but not my cup of tea. we debated hard on the lx570 but ultimately, for the same price, the gl550 was the better choice. the LX has better leather and display but from driving point of view the gl550 is a beast. my wife is into SUV now and likely would stay with mb on that.
Old 05-03-18, 09:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

After 15 years of having Lexus vehicles as my daily driver, the last few years I have be unimpressed with their offerings. I leased an IS350 based mostly on economics since it was a good bit cheaper than the BMW and Audi I was looking at with the same MSRP. Otherwise I would have likely gone with the Audi. I have had my 2012 GX460 since late 2011 and I usually turn over cars after the warranty is up but there was nothing with a third row I liked out there in the 60's price range so I kept it until this month. Lexus has had the same GX since 2010 model year and it is getting very old with the only updates mostly being the front and rear bumpers and the new GX isn't supposed to be here until next summer and I got tired of waiting.

This past week we went out of our comfort zone and leased a Dodge Durango SRT. So far we love it. The infotainment is way better than what we have/had in our Lexus' and although it gets terrible gas mileage, at least it has the horsepower to back it up. My IS and GX both have/had terrible gas mileage for the hp. The fit and finish with the Durango is nowhere near Lexus but it isn't as bad as some people think and the tech is way better than the GX. It probably won't be as reliable as our GX but it is way more fun to drive so time will tell if it was worth it.

Forgot to mention, I voted yes, I would consider another Lexus but if I continue to be disappointed, I will likely be looking elsewhere.

Last edited by patgilm; 05-03-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 12:49 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had a Lexus for my daily driver since I retired in 2001 but there is nothing in their current line up that appeals to me. My next car is likely my last new one (I've said that before the last 3) and right now the G90 is at the top of my list. If the local KIA dealer (owned by our outstanding local Lexus dealer) would sell the next K900, I would do that. I'm still trying to convince my wife to trade her beloved Accord V-6 coupe for a Stinger. The KIA sales guy was pushing their 10 year warranty until I explained to him that at my age I don't even buy green bananas.

Lexus has made it clear that they no longer value my business, so I'll take it elsewhere.
Old 05-04-18, 03:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
With all the talk of Lexus discontinuing the GS, focusing on Toyota platform engineered transverse/FWD sedans and crossovers, many feeling they pulled their punches on the latest LS, I thought it would be interesting to post a poll on here as to whether people feel like perhaps the Lexus they have is the last Lexus they'll be interested in buying. Perhaps people have already moved on from Lexus and don't see themselves coming back.

For me, if Lexus isn't going to invest in cars built on luxury platforms with longitudinal/RWD layouts, if they're going to abandon V8 power in the LS, then I don't see how I can purchase another Lexus after this one. I love the brand, love the reliability, love the fact that they last forever and can be worked on by anybody, but I want a true, premium luxury car...and IMHO that is not what they are presenting with the ES, RX, NX, UX, which seems to be all they're really "all-in" on right now.

Please vote and post your thoughts.
It is funny that after driver focused LS and LC people are quitting Lexus because of ES and UX are FWD.

I think people that purchased old LS barge are the same people that purchase ES, they just have more money to spend. But the basis is the same, forgettable looks, luxury brand, lots of airy space, reliable.
Old 05-04-18, 04:39 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

This is really a strange thread, since the OP just recently bought a 17' LS (not knocking him at all).

Personally, I am WAITING to buy my next Lexus (and/or Toyco), when they have a powerful sports car/sedan in their stable. This means RWD/AWD with at least 400hp (maybe 350 if it's a TT at least).

Until then, I'm just playing around with my Q50 RS400 (and FX50), but the quality (and suspect reliability) are not up to Lexus standards to make me want to keep them long term.

As much as Toyco/Lexus makes me scream (FRS/2GRFSE), I keep on holding out hope that one day, they will get it right and appease guys like me. They keep inching closer and closer with cars like the LC, so I have my fingers crossed!

Last edited by ST430; 05-04-18 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
This is really a strange thread, since the OP just recently bought a 17' LS (not knocking him at all).
Just a technicality, but I believe it was a lease, not a purchase.
Old 05-04-18, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I chose to get the `17 LS instead of the new `18 LS because my 17 LS is the last example of the sort of car that Lexus has historically built. Its spacious, soft and quiet, has a nice smooth V8. The new LS as an example of what Lexus is building going forward doesn't appeal to me. Its too small inside, too handling focused, no more V8, etc.

As an example, I had the 17 into my independent Lexus mechanic last week to change the oil at 5k miles (I didn't want to wait until 10k). He posted a picture of it on his FB page "The end of an era, one of the last Lexus LS made with a V8"
Old 05-04-18, 09:02 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I have 3 Lexus' in my stable atm, but my next Lexus is probably the last one I'll buy
Old 05-04-18, 09:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I truly do not know how to answer this question (or I just don't want to accept my probably answer). I've thoroughly enjoyed each Lexus I've owned, with my current GS being my favorite. I quite like the new LS, but I simply don't want something so large. I don't want to go any bigger than my GS.

I have about a year left on my GS lease. At this point, I suspect I'll just buy it out. I don't feel like I'm ready to get rid of it yet. But if I was ready to turn it in at the end of the lease, I can't really say there is anything in the Lexus lineup that fits the bill. I had thought I would be trading it in on the next gen GS, but if there isn't one, then where does it leave me?

I think the new ES is absolutely fantastic, but I just have no desire to go back to FWD. I would like to stick with a mid sized, RWD based vehicle. If Lexus ends the GS, it kind of forces my hand, doesn't it?

If I had to do it now, I'd probably move over to a G80 (though the weight of that thing drives me crazy) or perhaps a Stinger. I have tremendous respect for the 5 series, so I'd at least check one out. I strongly dislike the E Class, and Audi doesn't appeal to me, even though I think they are great cars.

Perhaps I just talked my way through the question. I guess my answer is that it does indeed appear that I am on my last Lexus (unless my wife decides that she wants to trade in her Highlander and go back to an RX).

Quick Reply: Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?