Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All quiet on the Hyundai front

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 10:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Has anyone seen one of these stand alone dealerships going up? It will be interesting to see where they place them and what they look like.
Old 05-02-18, 10:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Has anyone seen one of these stand alone dealerships going up? It will be interesting to see where they place them and what they look like.
I haven't seen any here in so cal (and hyundai HQ is here also).

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont understand the comments about Hyundai's lack of SUVs? Maybe they are not competitive for whatever reason in US market, but they have 4 SUVs under $30k. Kia sort of has 4 CUVs, so total of 8 between them.

Other than that, lineup got old in the US and they did not manage it well. Genesis got launched with all-sedan lineup in SUV market.
And of course China - with Chinese boycotting South Korean products, it is not easy.

As someone else mentioned, they did get stuck a bit on quality front, they are likely not getting those return customers.
I think Hoovey meant "Genesis" SUVs, not the Hyundai one.
Old 05-02-18, 10:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I haven't seen any here in so cal (and hyundai HQ is here also).

I think Hoovey meant "Genesis" SUVs, not the Hyundai one.
Lots of articles write about Hyundai's lack of SUVs as main reason for the sales being down... so I am not sure what else would they need from SUV standpoint? They have many sizes.
Old 05-02-18, 10:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/u-...enesis-models/

so it appears Hyundai will allow Hyundai dealers to sell Genesis models.
Any current Hyundai dealer will be given the opportunity to sell Genesis, not just the 100 or so they initially targeted. But they still need to commit to separate stores.

Moving forward, all Hyundai dealerships can apply to become Genesis dealers. Those who already stock Genesis models can continue to do so or take settlement money and stop selling them.

All the Hyundai dealerships that start to sell Genesis will need to have separate stores and service facilities for the more upmarket vehicles.
Old 05-02-18, 04:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Lots of articles write about Hyundai's lack of SUVs as main reason for the sales being down... so I am not sure what else would they need from SUV standpoint? They have many sizes.
Oh, I didn't know about that.In that case, it doesn't make sense.
I also thought they have a fairly good line up of suvs. I'm liking the new Kona
Old 05-02-18, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They have many sizes, but my point was the current ones are a bit ho-hum and aren't getting the job done, many are due for their redesign. They have a bunch of stars hanging in the wing ready to take the spot light. These 'coming soon' include a new Veloster hatch, a new Tuscon, a new Santa Fe, a Kona EV, and a Nexo Fuel Cell SUV

Their website shows a whole bunch of 'coming soon' vehicles which are hatches, SUVs, alternative powertrains. but not ready, so that does not help Hyundai get out of the red.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/
Old 05-02-18, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They have many sizes, but my point was the current ones are a bit ho-hum and aren't getting the job done, many are due for their redesign. They have a bunch of stars hanging in the wing ready to take the spot light. These 'coming soon' include a new Veloster hatch, a new Tuscon, a new Santa Fe, a Kona EV, and a Nexo Fuel Cell SUV
Tucson is a facelift, and Sante Fe seems OK vehicle? Those other two are just compliance vehicles...

Dunno, does not seem like these will turn their tide quickly somehow.
Old 05-02-18, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Tucson is a facelift, and Sante Fe seems OK vehicle? Those other two are just compliance vehicles...

Dunno, does not seem like these will turn their tide quickly somehow.
Whatever they got to do to get people into showrooms. That wave they rode from 2009 to maybe 2012 is over. The sleek sheetmetal and reinvention is not translating into customer retention. I know two friends, one who got a Sonata, and one a Tuscon and both have interior quality issues. They mainly bought them for the price and the chic look, but regret the purchase.
Old 05-03-18, 06:58 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moderator edit:

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Let's drop the personal commentary please and keep this about the vehicles.
Mr. Burns, please exit this thread. I was clear to stop that line of conversation.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-03-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Why would you buy this thing over any of its competition?

Though I admit I like the way the Lacrosse drives (which was one reason, among several, why I bought one), I'd buy a Sonata or Optima (especially the Optima) over several of its competitors simply based on how well it is (now) built. This isn't the 1980s or 1990s....today's Hyundai'Kia products often have better hardware, build-solidness, and general overall quality than even some of their Japanese competition. In truth, though, almost all of the vehicles in today's market are at least reasonably well-built, and the reasons for choosing one over the other are less well-distinct than in the past.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Whatever they got to do to get people into showrooms. That wave they rode from 2009 to maybe 2012 is over. The sleek sheetmetal and reinvention is not translating into customer retention. I know two friends, one who got a Sonata, and one a Tuscon and both have interior quality issues. They mainly bought them for the price and the chic look, but regret the purchase.
they also tried to move up the price class but their customers did not follow, so now they have to discount vehicles like crazy.
Old 05-03-18, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

they also tried to move up the price class but their customers did not follow, so now they have to discount vehicles like crazy.
Well hopefully their 'GV' series SUVs will spurn some sales for Hyundai as a whole.
Old 05-03-18, 12:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Hopefully the G70 will at least bring over some new customers for Hyundai and co.:

From what I am seeing, the G70 looks very promising, especially if those prices translate over 1:1 into USD.