Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

article on why Toyota/Lexus won't adopt Android auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 07:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think jill is saying she's near Savannah so the ads are locally relevant so it is using gps (although it doesn't need it anyway, because of cell tower mapping).
Well, I just used the MLB app. I was paying attention to what was on there. We went to Walmart this morning and now there is an offer for the Walmart App to get $10 off my first purchase. Then at the bottom there is a Booking.com as I booked a hotel in Washington via that app last night for this coming Monday. I really don’t know allow Apple allows things to be read or used, but I am sure there are articles out there that can explain it.
Old 04-19-18, 09:10 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I am pretty sure Apple makes money from ads. Not like Google but perhaps different. I am on a trip through the US and every ad is local depending on the area I am in. So once I open the MLB app as I follow my Toronto team, a number of Savannah Georgia ads show up.
Only way for Apple to make money on ADs is ADs through their APP store, the apps that have ads, Apple doesn't get a cut of those. They only get money off in-app purchases and sales of apps.

Well, I just used the MLB app. I was paying attention to what was on there. We went to Walmart this morning and now there is an offer for the Walmart App to get $10 off my first purchase. Then at the bottom there is a Booking.com as I booked a hotel in Washington via that app last night for this coming Monday. I really don’t know allow Apple allows things to be read or used, but I am sure there are articles out there that can explain it.
So the MLB app is tracking you? Do you think they are selling ADs based off user location and behaviors?

Last edited by xioix; 04-19-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 06:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Only way for Apple to make money on ADs is ADs through their APP store, the apps that have ads, Apple doesn't get a cut of those. They only get money off in-app purchases and sales of apps.

So the MLB app is tracking you? Do you think they are selling ADs based off user location and behaviors?
I really do not know if the MLB App is tracking me or not. I am assume something along those lines as the ads are local. For example, I just looked at the app and I got an Othopedic Ad for locations in the Savannah area.
Old 04-20-18, 08:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Apple takes only data it needs,
I'm not sure how true that is. When Steve Job's famously said "you are holding it wrong" in response to antennagate when the iphone 4 was released, Apple lost all credibility with me.
Old 04-20-18, 08:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

People who use smartphones (of any make) and expect privacy make me laugh
Old 04-20-18, 08:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
What's more laughable are the people that actually believe what the executives of those companies tells them.
Old 04-20-18, 09:28 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really do not know if the MLB App is tracking me or not. I am assume something along those lines as the ads are local. For example, I just looked at the app and I got an Othopedic Ad for locations in the Savannah area.

Well the MLB app needs location to verify where you are at so they can region block MLB games to watch, so I would guess that the Google ADs built in to are using information supplied to them so they can target you better.
Old 04-20-18, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
quoted for truth.
Old 04-23-18, 05:29 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

There's so much misinformation and FUD in this thread. Android Auto is part of the Open Auto Alliance developed to help proliferate Android to the Mobile Market, with 28+ car mfg helping develop it. The most noticeable name absent is Toyota. Android Auto has an SDK that allows each mfg to tailor it to their own needs just like how Android can be forked over to be it's own proprietary OS (see Amzn Fire OS). Heck, you can now even use the app standalone if you wanted. However, Toyco internal management believes/insists in their own internal solutions (entune) for whatever reason. It's really strange but shows kind of how Toyco operates at the R&D level. The fact that they caved into Carplay gives me hope that their is a small fraction slowly pushing for change internally and that upper management is finally listening.
Old 04-23-18, 09:14 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:
According to the publication, Google collected “Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto…. Apple, by way of stark contrast, only wants to know if the car is moving while Apple Play is in use.”

I'm sure Toyota collects similar information on your vehicles computer. Who knows what they do with it. I recall during the sudden acceleration issue Toyota had, I saw a youtube that showed tech downloading info including how fast the car was going at crash time. Sharp lawyers would love to have that info.
Old 04-23-18, 09:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Quote:
According to the publication, Google collected “Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto…. Apple, by way of stark contrast, only wants to know if the car is moving while Apple Play is in use.”

I'm sure Toyota collects similar information on your vehicles computer. Who knows what they do with it. I recall during the sudden acceleration issue Toyota had, I saw a youtube that showed tech downloading info including how fast the car was going at crash time. Sharp lawyers would love to have that info.
It may be true that Toyota and Android Auto collect similar information but there is a key difference. If Toyota is collecting all of that information in its event recorder, it is Toyota collecting its own vehicle information, and Toyota is in control of the situation.

If, however, Android Auto (on behalf of Google) is collecting all of that information from each Toyota and each Honda and each Audi that it runs in, it is not collecting its own data, and the automakers lose control of that information. Google has mined information from many different automakers and many different drivers. Just imagine what it could do with all of that data.

I collect information about how and where I drive, to calculate fuel economy and operating costs, but I will not consent to my insurance company collecting that information (through an OBD dongle) because I do not want some third party mining the data on my particular driving habits. This is similar to Toyota not wanting Android Auto to collect all of that information.
Old 04-23-18, 09:52 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The only reason I believe Toyota and BMW adopted Apple car play and not Android auto is because, how hard Apple makes it for third parties to develop and maintain interface systems for the iOS. For example take a look at the new Camry and many other manufactures, In the Camry everything in the en-tune works flawlessly (most of the time) when connected to android based systems. But if the end user is running iOS from Apple, they are encountering much more problems with the cars systems(connection problems, Apps in the car crashing etc). Also every time Apple updates to new iOS revisions, there are new problems popping up across the automotive world, some of this problems are only fixable by going to the dealer and not through system updates that are available over the air. . So its much easier for Toyota and other manufactures to provide Apple car-play and not worry about refining the in-car systems to work with Apple products. This is the only reason i believe they decided to provide Apple Car Play. Also people need to realize how much information they are sharing when using Enform, En-tune, Android-Auto and Apple- Carplay.
Old 04-23-18, 10:18 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Your explanation does not make sense. Could you explain?

Originally Posted by john341
The only reason I believe Toyota and BMW adopted Apple car play and not Android auto is because, how hard Apple makes it for third parties to develop and maintain interface systems for the iOS. For example take a look at the new Camry and many other manufactures, In the Camry everything in the en-tune works flawlessly (most of the time) when connected to android based systems.
What? Toyota Entune does not connect to Android-based systems.

But if the end user is running iOS from Apple, they are encountering much more problems with the cars systems(connection problems, Apps in the car crashing etc). Also every time Apple updates to new iOS revisions, there are new problems popping up across the automotive world, some of this problems are only fixable by going to the dealer and not through system updates that are available over the air.
Is this the situation, that every time Apple's iOS operating system updates, vehicles running Apple CarPlay have problems that can only be fixed by going to the dealer?

So its much easier for Toyota and other manufactures to provide Apple car-play and not worry about refining the in-car systems to work with Apple products. This is the only reason i believe they decided to provide Apple Car Play.
If what you said above is true, how is it easier for automakers to provide Apple CarPlay if it causes so much trouble each time iOS updates?

Also people need to realize how much information they are sharing when using Enform, En-tune, Android-Auto and Apple- Carplay.
True, which is why Toyota has been negotiating how much information that Android Auto and Apple CarPlay collect.
Old 04-23-18, 08:27 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It may be true that Toyota and Android Auto collect similar information but there is a key difference. If Toyota is collecting all of that information in its event recorder, it is Toyota collecting its own vehicle information, and Toyota is in control of the situation.

If, however, Android Auto (on behalf of Google) is collecting all of that information from each Toyota and each Honda and each Audi that it runs in, it is not collecting its own data, and the automakers lose control of that information. Google has mined information from many different automakers and many different drivers. Just imagine what it could do with all of that data.

I collect information about how and where I drive, to calculate fuel economy and operating costs, but I will not consent to my insurance company collecting that information (through an OBD dongle) because I do not want some third party mining the data on my particular driving habits. This is similar to Toyota not wanting Android Auto to collect all of that information.
Android Auto can be a standalone interface that just acts as a car monitor, and does not collect any OBD2 info (I'm not sure where people are proliferating this FUD). Now, if the automaker wants to integrate additional functionality into their Android Auto information to collect info, that is on them. If you have ever even used Android Auto (which many people seem not have), there is not even an ad that is displayed. The entire ecosystem is to proliferate Android, which is already open, and Google primarily makes money off of the Play Store and/or its licenses (imagine millions of vehicle wanting to integrate an app such as GMaps/Waze).

The issue is not about collecting info, it is about Toyco wanting to develop its own interface and have complete control of it without providing any help to its competitors (via the Alliance).
Old 04-25-18, 12:15 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
^This. Give us the options; don't limit them because the toyota overlords know best.
+1. This.

I rather them just let us have the options to buy or not buy it rather than include into the overall price or not offer them at all.

For me though: If Apple/Auto was offered as a option for a few hundred dollar, I'll never buy it. I think Apple/Auto car play is worthless. I would never understand why BMW owners would opt for the Apple/Auto play (pay a few hundred dollars) when their iDrive system is so polished and refined.

Quick Reply: article on why Toyota/Lexus won't adopt Android auto