Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

article on why Toyota/Lexus won't adopt Android auto

Old 04-18-18, 01:49 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default article on why Toyota/Lexus won't adopt Android auto

Toyota says Android auto has too many privacy concerns. I doubt Apple is any better but they adopted it. I say follow the money. There are many other auto companies using Android auto but I have't hard of any issues.

https://www.motor1.com/news/239477/t...vacy-concerns/
Old 04-18-18, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Toyota says Android auto has too many privacy concerns. I doubt Apple is any better but they adopted it. I say follow the money. There are many other auto companies using Android auto but I have't hard of any issues.

https://www.motor1.com/news/239477/t...vacy-concerns/
while i agree with you on conclusion, there is a huge difference between android auto and carplay - Apple takes only data it needs, while Android Auto uploads everything about your car to its servers:

According to the publication, Google collected “Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto…. Apple, by way of stark contrast, only wants to know if the car is moving while Apple Play is in use.”
people care about their privacy only when bad things happen though, like with facebook.
Old 04-18-18, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

article on why Toyota/Lexus won't adopt Android auto
This isn't really news. We've been saying this for sometime now.

Apple CarPlay was just now adopted because Lexus has been in contract negotiations in regards to what info Apple collects. So once it's all said and done, Lexus will likely be the least intrusive of the automakers that have adopted the technology.
Old 04-18-18, 02:43 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If MotorTrend's article is true and to be believed, then as much as I too want Android Auto, I want to agree with Toyota and not give up soooo much of my data & privacy.

I believe we have not seen the true ramifications of all these invasions of privacy; Credit Bureaus that holds so much sensitive data that's hacked; Always On Location Services and giving up permissions to apps just to be able to use it.

Google don't need anything near an OBD2 dump to activate Android Auto.

Get this, while Google drags their feet about requiring soooo much of our privacy, Carplay would have solid traction in new automobile sales market. Also, Google should, "You want Toyota on that wall, You need Toyota on that wall" given how large Toyota is as a car manufacturer.
Old 04-18-18, 09:59 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This isn't really news. We've been saying this for sometime now.

Apple CarPlay was just now adopted because Lexus has been in contract negotiations in regards to what info Apple collects. So once it's all said and done, Lexus will likely be the least intrusive of the automakers that have adopted the technology.
+1.

Toyota/Lexus might end up being the least intrusive automakers regarding this department.
Old 04-19-18, 04:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting article. Who knows what is true and what is not with Google. However, I used to be anAndroid user (Google phone) and it knew everything I did and used I believe all the data of my searches, places I have been, emails, etc etc. It was pretty good at how the services enhanced my life but it was also a little concerning in that everything was known or interpreted. So I think I can support the idea of leaving Android out of Toyota’s for the time being.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-19-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 11:55 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
while i agree with you on conclusion, there is a huge difference between android auto and carplay - Apple takes only data it needs, while Android Auto uploads everything about your car to its servers:

people care about their privacy only when bad things happen though, like with facebook.
This a absolutely not true.
Google won't collect any car information unless the car make voluntarily send it back to Android phone.
Android auto and Car play on Car side are just a client (video projector) to the server on phone side.
Old 04-19-18, 12:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

google can already track where you are all the time and so much other telemetry with or without android auto (unless explicitly turned off which is hard), i think toyota is probably just pissed they can't make money from all the data.
Old 04-19-18, 02:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
google can already track where you are all the time and so much other telemetry with or without android auto (unless explicitly turned off which is hard), i think toyota is probably just pissed they can't make money from all the data.
but Toyota, like Apple does not make money from ads. So they dont want their users tracked.

Google, Facebook make money based on tracking what you do so they can target you better.

There is vast difference between these companies.

Personally I dont really care, but I think in few years privacy will be valued a lot more after appropriate laws are passed.
Old 04-19-18, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

but Toyota, like Apple does not make money from ads. So they dont want their users tracked.

Google, Facebook make money based on tracking what you do so they can target you better.

There is vast difference between these companies.

Personally I dont really care, but I think in few years privacy will be valued a lot more after appropriate laws are passed.

I am pretty sure Apple makes money from ads. Not like Google but perhaps different. I am on a trip through the US and every ad is local depending on the area I am in. So once I open the MLB app as I follow my Toronto team, a number of Savannah Georgia ads show up.
Old 04-19-18, 06:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lame... anyhow, let us decide if we want it.

btw, google does tracks and keeps history of you locations... you can turn it off, but I'm sure most of you already know this.

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en
Old 04-19-18, 06:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I am pretty sure Apple makes money from ads. Not like Google but perhaps different. I am on a trip through the US and every ad is local depending on the area I am in. So once I open the MLB app as I follow my Toronto team, a number of Savannah Georgia ads show up.
that kind of targeting is based on your internet connection, not your gps - obviously it is wrong, since it is not showing you what you want to see. On Google phone you would always see ad for your own team. And Google Adsense is used a lot in iPhone apps as well.
Old 04-19-18, 06:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sam430

btw, google does tracks and keeps history of you locations... you can turn it off, but I'm sure most of you already know this.

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en
When I had a google phone, the phone if I remember found ways to turn back on things I didn’t want. I don’t remember exactly how. But there were things I would turn off only to have them be working again later on. Something to do with the Google cards if I remember.

that kind of targeting is based on your internet connection, not your gps - obviously it is wrong, since it is not showing you what you want to see. On Google phone you would always see ad for your own team. And Google Adsense is used a lot in iPhone apps as well.
Yes. The Adsense for sure seems to be used a lot.
Old 04-19-18, 07:01 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
^This. Give us the options; don't limit them because the toyota overlords know best.
Old 04-19-18, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

i think jill is saying she's near Savannah so the ads are locally relevant so it is using gps (although it doesn't need it anyway, because of cell tower mapping).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: article on why Toyota/Lexus won't adopt Android auto