Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

extended warranties, funny psychology

Old 04-16-18, 06:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default extended warranties, funny psychology

I was always one to say you never get them, you can't break even. On my BMW 335i, got it, negotiated it down and from a tax free state, and waited. Avoid and most unreliable CR lists. Nothing happened except VANOS and the warranty expired (VANOS is a DIY job).

On my wife's GM product? We've actually gone into the black. Which is weird. On the one hand, I think, not only did I get more than what I paid, I got the peace of mind, like when her 2011 failed this weekend, I didn't have to really worry. That is worth money.

This makes me think of Doug Demuro with the Range Rover, where he got like $16k in repairs on his extended warranty. My buddy was like that's not good, one would rather simply have a reliable car.

My fascination is that on the retail level, the house lost. But I get that one should avoid these vehicles where you would be ahead with a warranty, and get a car that doesn't break instead.

I will admit this much--the Ally product excludes a heck of a lot less than the BMW agreement did. Great marketing--let us list what's not covered, because it's a shorter list than what is. I do realize the joke is on me because the car is a 2011 with 71k, and already had so many issues lol we need this to go 300k
Old 04-16-18, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

As per American cars. My philosophy is, if you can get a whopping 15-20 % discount off your purchase. This discount simply pays for future repairs. It’s a roll of the dice, if you don’t need any repairs, you win. With Japanese cars, you are paying for the lack of future repairs with the absence of a discount. Just my opinion.
Old 04-17-18, 05:12 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As per American cars. My philosophy is, if you can get a whopping 15-20 % discount off your purchase. This discount simply pays for future repairs. It’s a roll of the dice, if you don’t need any repairs, you win. With Japanese cars, you are paying for the lack of future repairs with the absence of a discount. Just my opinion.
So the greater the discount I can negotiate off my Toyota or Lexus the more unreliable it is? Poor negotiators get more reliable cars.That makes me feel better.
Old 04-17-18, 05:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I never heard of $1050 for an alternator job, but I guess I am living in the past. That's more than 50% of the extended warranty which was 3/54. Add this to ac condenser, steering rack, power steering, acutators....I like GM cars but not GM ownership. They tried to charge me labor on the serpentine belt (I get it, it's not covered), but I said the belt is already off, why don't you charge me list price on the belt, but not the labor? They go, ok.

Another interesting thing--they say we should consider new tires soon, as the tires are 7/32. Not today, but maybe later this year. The funny thing is the Michelin Premier LTX start at 8.5/32, not 11/32. So much incompetence with warning triangles by the tires. The record of the seat from Dec. doesn't exist, and I was told yesterday it's not covered, the other advisor lied to you (huh?). I told the guy let me call myself, then I'll give you the claim number. I did, and it's covered. Why am I doing their job? Answer, because if I don't, nobody will. Live and learn. I'll continue to like GM cars, just wouldn't ever buy another.
Old 04-17-18, 05:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
So the greater the discount I can negotiate off my Toyota or Lexus the more unreliable it is? Poor negotiators get more reliable cars.That makes me feel better.
No, my friend is right imho. A person should get the most reliable car they can, and they should not buy an extended warranty.

But if you were like me, you bought a GM car, that seems to be not that reliable while it's under the B2B, it might be something to consider to save the situation that you are in. And there are TONS of GM dealers online who sell the extended warranties at a fraction of what the list is. I love how they start the time from when you buy it. If you buy it 1 yr prior to your B2B expiring, you've eaten 1 yr. of your extended warranty--what a dumb way. So I waited until 2 wks before expiration, then sweated to see it was put en force....never again!