Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

alex on autos reviews lexus nx

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 01:23 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For many of the reasons AoA mentioned, I'd spend the extra money for an X3, GLC or Q5. I'd prefer the new RDX too. Nothing against the NX but IMO there are better choices in the segment. I prefer the others styling too.
i agree 100%. I had an NX loaner recently for 24 hours and although it was nice, IMO, there are better options for one's money.
Old 04-14-18, 01:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A couple of nitpicks...
- He claims they rushed a refresh because of all the competition. However, nearly all vehicles get a normal refresh three years into the run. Nothing abnormal with what Lexus did.
- Dumping 2WD for the hybrid is backward. Most people buy a hybrid for fuel economy. The AWD adds weight and penalizes efficiency. AWD + hybrid also combines a double price increase.
Old 04-14-18, 02:32 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A couple of nitpicks...
- He claims they rushed a refresh because of all the competition. However, nearly all vehicles get a normal refresh three years into the run. Nothing abnormal with what Lexus did.
- Dumping 2WD for the hybrid is backward. Most people buy a hybrid for fuel economy. The AWD adds weight and penalizes efficiency. AWD + hybrid also combines a double price increase.
The Lexus hybrid AWD is just adding an electric drive motor to the rear wheels. Minimum additional cost and no reduction in efficiency. The RX450h has been AWD only for a couple of years.
Old 04-15-18, 07:10 AM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I know everything I need to know about the NX from when I had it as a loaner.

Ugly? Check
Cheap and ugly interior? Check
Frustrating infotainment system? Check
Awkward seating position (like all CUVs)? Check
Boring to drive? Check

It's high sales are a direct reflection of how bad all the other offerings in its class are. The GLA and Q3 are terrible. Only the X1 is very good.
I disagree on all levels. Its a beautiful car inside and out. The competition is boing af. Even the new rdx that just got anounced. Worst center stack in the segment.

I saw the review yesterday. First of all he is comparing the hybrid to gas powered cars which makes no sense. The turbo and the hybrid might as well be two different cars. From my research over the last 2 nonths they are pretty different. Even the cargo space is different. The fsport model also looks waaay better then non fsport.
Old 04-15-18, 11:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

As usual Alex is right on for the most part. I just turned in my NX after 3 yrs being a first adopter in Jan 2015. I was excited when it came out as it was the perfect size for my wife and I as empty nesters.

It is the most reliable vehicle you can own, which I think is the reason it is the best selling compact crossover. I would have probably leased another but Lexus was unable to provide me with a hybrid model at the time of turn in so i have moved on to another brand. Lexus has no other model I'm interested in.

It does have some turnoffs for me however. The infotainment system is awful, especially the Navigation coupled with the unbearable touchpad. The requirement of Premium fuel after having a reg fuel RX! Also, I was tired of having to drive to my dealer that is in the worst possible location with heavy traffic in Tampa.
Old 04-15-18, 03:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
What is luxurious about the interior? The entire center stack is plastic, the bottom half of the doors are all plastic, and the seats on most models are fake leather. It's really no nicer to sit in than a Honda Accord.
as supposed to what? Whats bottom half of the door in competition, leather? Its not.

When you compare the price when equipped, NX is very good value overall. What Alex gets wrong here is complete disregard for shopping reality which is based on price. He does mention it often but he keeps mentioning XC60 T8 Hybrid, which is loaded $20k more expensive than NX.

For $48k for loaded 2018 NX, be it turbo or hybrid, you cant get loaded GLC or X3... not even X1, which is not even a luxury vehicle of any kind. Loaded X3 is $12k more.

There is a good reason NX sells so well everywhere, worldwide, it is a good combination of features, luxury for reasonable price.

Also, what exactly is its hybrid competition? I dont think it currently even has luxury competition with similar hybrid system, not plugin hybrid that is $10k more expensive and basically that nobody buys. Hows 28.5 mpg "average" mpg for luxury suv competition? Actual petrol competition gets like 21-22mpg at best in comparo tests (like 2016 from MT). He is likely again comparing it to plugin hybrids like XC60 which is 15k-20k more expensive.

So sure, for $60k I would rather much get very nicely equipped RX450h... but $40k NX is very nice value. And obviously people are buying it in droves.
Old 04-15-18, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmask5

I disagree on all levels. Its a beautiful car inside and out. The competition is boing af. Even the new rdx that just got anounced. Worst center stack in the segment.

I saw the review yesterday. First of all he is comparing the hybrid to gas powered cars which makes no sense. The turbo and the hybrid might as well be two different cars. From my research over the last 2 nonths they are pretty different. Even the cargo space is different. The fsport model also looks waaay better then non fsport.

Welcome to CL as a new poster. I see you started off your membership here wth some strong opinions....but, hey, that is what Car Chat is for.

Alex, IMO, is one of the best, if not THE best auto-reviewer in the business, but that doesn't necessarily make him the world's best salesperson or marketer.
Old 04-15-18, 07:33 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2018 nx

i only drove this vehicle for 2 days as a service loaner but I did not enjoy it at all
front pillar visibility is terrible
noise level is pretty high
a lot more like a RAV4 than an RX

X1 is nicer if for lease/short term ownership
even the buick encore is ... never mind
Old 04-15-18, 07:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Same here, test drove the NX when I was shopping for small/midsize suv and came away unimpressed. I understand it's an entry level vehicle, but I still expect it to be a Lexus rather than a nicer RAV4. I got one as a loaner recently and my opinion of the NX hasn't changed.
Old 04-15-18, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Same here, test drove the NX when I was shopping for small/midsize suv and came away unimpressed. I understand it's an entry level vehicle, but I still expect it to be a Lexus rather than a nicer RAV4. I got one as a loaner recently and my opinion of the NX hasn't changed.

Agreed. I wasn't impressed with it when I did a review, either. For one thing, Lexus seemed to have skimped on sound insulation. It also doesn't have anywhere near the ride comfort the RX does.
Old 04-16-18, 07:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I seem to be in the minority on this thread, but I had an NX loaner for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the size, comfort, room, interior, and the engine. I would seriously consider buying one.

I think it is easily the best looking small SUV/CUV on the market right now, especially in F Sport trim. Very reasonably priced, too.
Old 04-16-18, 09:42 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
as supposed to what? Whats bottom half of the door in competition, leather? Its not.

When you compare the price when equipped, NX is very good value overall. What Alex gets wrong here is complete disregard for shopping reality which is based on price. He does mention it often but he keeps mentioning XC60 T8 Hybrid, which is loaded $20k more expensive than NX.

For $48k for loaded 2018 NX, be it turbo or hybrid, you cant get loaded GLC or X3... not even X1, which is not even a luxury vehicle of any kind. Loaded X3 is $12k more.

There is a good reason NX sells so well everywhere, worldwide, it is a good combination of features, luxury for reasonable price.

Also, what exactly is its hybrid competition? I dont think it currently even has luxury competition with similar hybrid system, not plugin hybrid that is $10k more expensive and basically that nobody buys. Hows 28.5 mpg "average" mpg for luxury suv competition? Actual petrol competition gets like 21-22mpg at best in comparo tests (like 2016 from MT). He is likely again comparing it to plugin hybrids like XC60 which is 15k-20k more expensive.

So sure, for $60k I would rather much get very nicely equipped RX450h... but $40k NX is very nice value. And obviously people are buying it in droves.
For 48k, I would spend an additional extra 2k for the RX with premium package. We test drove both cars back to back, and they are worlds apart. I understand you are partial to Toyota products, but the NX does not have a luxurious interior. Yes, you said at the end you would spend 60k on an RX, but you don't have to in order to get a much better vehicle than the NX.
Old 04-16-18, 12:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I seem to be in the minority on this thread, but I had an NX loaner for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the size, comfort, room, interior, and the engine. I would seriously consider buying one.

I think it is easily the best looking small SUV/CUV on the market right now, especially in F Sport trim. Very reasonably priced, too.
+1. I acknowledge the RX is more comfortable and quieter - having driven both. However, I think it's just too big for my tastes. If I was going to own one, I'd probably get the NX. I'm already paranoid parking my IS in the city, so I don't think I'd be happy driving the RX around. Besides, I do prefer the tuning of the NX - it's just a little bit more fun than the RX even if it's not exactly a corner-carver.
Old 04-16-18, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I too have had the NX as a loaner and was overall unimpressed with it.

Quite frankly, I don't "get" these little CUVs. The NX, UX, Q3, GLC, GLA, X1...they're small, crappy inside, dumb looking a lot of them, don't offer any utility to speak of because they're so small...I just don't get it.
Old 04-17-18, 05:32 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I too have had the NX as a loaner and was overall unimpressed with it.

Quite frankly, I don't "get" these little CUVs. The NX, UX, Q3, GLC, GLA, X1...they're small, crappy inside, dumb looking a lot of them, don't offer any utility to speak of because they're so small...I just don't get it.
Let me explain. I drive a mazda 3. I want a slightly bigger car with a bit more cargo,AWD and better safety. A compact CUV checks all boxes. Especially NX that thing ia built like a tank.

Quick Reply: alex on autos reviews lexus nx