Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I doubt it will be very popular in NYC - its too pretentious for the conservative buyers, and at the same time doesn't have enough flair for the snobs.
almost spit my coffee out with that 'fine-grained' assessment of the marketing challenge.
Old 04-16-18, 06:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Saw a Manganese Luster with Red Interior on my way into work few weeks ago, car looked great loved everything about it.
Old 04-16-18, 07:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I haven't seen one "in the wild" yet but I saw an atomic silver one sitting in front of the dealer as I drove by and I found it quite stunning. First LS I've ever felt such a strong emotion about. Loved it!
Old 04-16-18, 07:45 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then you haven't looked LOL. It happens all the time, every time a new model comes out.
Yup human nature I guess, the "new" Supra discussion on Supraforums hits nail on head. I remember the 2IS being bashed by 1IS owners when they first came out. 3rd Gen GS didn't get much love either from 2nd GS.

Originally Posted by jgscott
/\ Yep like you said, never fails, every time. LOL!
Yup 4th Gen LS didn't get much respect from 3rd Gen LS same like 5th isn't from 4th Gen. the cycle continues.
Old 04-16-18, 08:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Yup human nature I guess, the "new" Supra discussion on Supraforums hits nail on head. I remember the 2IS being bashed by 1IS owners when they first came out. 3rd Gen GS didn't get much love either from 2nd GS.

Yup 4th Gen LS didn't get much respect from 3rd Gen LS same like 5th isn't from 4th Gen. the cycle continues.
imho this is a statement of the symptom, not the root cause. Do I like the 3rd gen LS better than the 4th gen? Yes, I do. Would I rather have a 2017 LS460, over a 2006 LS430, if I could have either one for $10k? Yes. Because I see the same on the BMW forum, it tells me it's a human thing, not a brand thing. Would I rather have a 4th gen Nissan Maxima over a 2018? You better believe it, I drove the 2018 in Toronto for a week, it's not good.

When C&D removes the BMW 3 from the 10 best list, there is a reason. I would like to think people are objective enough to state that when a car mfg. doesn't meet the expectations like they wished, they can just say it. They don't have to go into hiding or be accused that they don't like it because they don't have one or can't afford one.
Old 04-16-18, 11:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Do I like the 3rd gen LS better than the 4th gen? Yes, I do. Would I rather have a 2017 LS460, over a 2006 LS430, if I could have either one for $10k? Yes.
Do you see how this statement doesn't make sense? If you truly liked the 3rd gen better than the 4th gen, why would you rather have a 2017 over a 2006 if you could have either for $10k? If you truly feel that way what you like about the 3rd gen is that its $10,000.

The issue is also not about having that opinion, its about constantly sharing that opinion in the 4th gen LS forum. People want to discuss their 4th gen LS cars without constantly hearing how much better you think your 3rd gen is. Theres a 3rd gen forum for that.

I get it, I prefer my 4th gen LS over the 5th gen LS. If you asked me which I would rather have, a 2017 or a 2018 I would say the 2017, which is the truth since I chose one when I could have gotten a 2018. Do I post that viewpoint throughout the 5th Gen forum? No. I discussed it in my original review of the 5th gen car and then I shut up about it.
Old 04-16-18, 11:45 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Do you see how this statement doesn't make sense? If you truly liked the 3rd gen better than the 4th gen, why would you rather have a 2017 over a 2006 if you could have either for $10k? If you truly feel that way what you like about the 3rd gen is that its $10,000.

The issue is also not about having that opinion, its about constantly sharing that opinion in the 4th gen LS forum. People want to discuss their 4th gen LS cars without constantly hearing how much better you think your 3rd gen is. Theres a 3rd gen forum for that.

I get it, I prefer my 4th gen LS over the 5th gen LS. If you asked me which I would rather have, a 2017 or a 2018 I would say the 2017, which is the truth since I chose one when I could have gotten a 2018. Do I post that viewpoint throughout the 5th Gen forum? No. I discussed it in my original review of the 5th gen car and then I shut up about it.
Not to keep prolonging this sidetrack but I think social media is partly to blame and it has spilled over to the forums. I'm in several Supra groups on Facebook. Only 1 group is for actual owners where you have to prove ownership to be a member. All others are made up of 5 to 10% owners and the others are fans many of whom have their own opinions on everything about your Supra from mods to price. When I question that they say freedom of speech. I suspect that's what's happening here everyone has an opinion which is fine but the need to continually share it in discussions just to show they disagree has become the norm.
Old 04-16-18, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Not to keep prolonging this sidetrack but I think social media is partly to blame and it has spilled over to the forums. I'm in several Supra groups on Facebook. Only 1 group is for actual owners where you have to prove ownership to be a member. All others are made up of 5 to 10% owners and the others are fans many of whom have their own opinions on everything about your Supra from mods to price. When I question that they say freedom of speech. I suspect that's what's happening here everyone has an opinion which is fine but the need to continually share it in discussions just to show they disagree has become the norm.
You're probably right...
Old 04-16-18, 01:01 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The first statement is reality, the 2nd is hypothetical. I don't like the way the LS500 looks, and I don't like V6 motors. But, would I rather have a LS500 over a 3rd gen? Yes, the LS500 is worth a lot more, will last a lot longer, and I would certainly overlook it's unattractiveness because marginal cost < marginal benefit. Once we bring the real price into the mix, it's not a desirable car to me.

I think you get hung up on people who don't say back a car co. 100%. For example, I do like the older BMWs up to 2010 better than the newest ones. Cars in general have been decontented.

But you say E63s AMG, or S550, I like the newest the best. It's my opinion, it's funny how any that differ from you always doesn't make any sense--important now--to you. And unless I've made a grave error, this is car chat.
Old 04-16-18, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think you get hung up on people who don't say back a car co. 100%. For example, I do like the older BMWs up to 2010 better than the newest ones. Cars in general have been decontented.
Not at all, in fact I am not somebody who backs a car company 100% and I have posted that viewpoint many times. The point is that I don't go around interjecting my negative viewpoints into discussions about and forums dedicated to a specific model. Doing so is trolling. Plenty of Lexus models I don't like, I just don't post in those forums unless I have something positive or of value to post. THATS what happens here, when the "LS500" comes up either in here or in the 5LS forum the hate level just drowns out anything positive, and its unfortunate.

I'm not saying its something that you specifically are doing, I'm just describing what happens.
Old 04-16-18, 04:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
nah, the S and 7 will wipe the floor with the LS.
Even Lexus expects that to happen.
The S will outsell the LS, but not the 7.
Correct lol. The S Class will outsell the LS, but the LS will outsell the 7 Series.
I agree with SW17LS. The LS will outsell the 7 Series but probably not outsell the S-Class.

Originally Posted by jgscott
Ok you are entitle to your observation. But others are too.
Ever see a New Model change Evolve and Grow on ppl? A good example here is, one Lexus Model Owners that sells the almost least amount of that Model, always trashes the New ES. Also trashed the New 2019 ES no one has even seen one yet.

A few years back in a Thread ppl were trashing the Acura TL for being FWD, and not being a good Handling car solely due to the FWD, and saying it could not compete. Until I posted the Track TL FWD that was beating all the RWD cars in its class on the Track everytime. They also trashed Honda/Acura for No V8, even tho they made a V6 (3.5) that made more HP than most V8's then. And also that Honda makes also every Indy car motor, that out does all the completion. Because they were just a V8, RWD crowd. I understand there is personal preference. I'm not saying anyone is a Bad Guy.
!
So true about the Acura hate. It happened on Acurazine too. I was browsed the Acurazine forums often back in the 2005s-2009s. There was tons of Acura TSX and Acura TL hate on there. Like tons. From what I gathered, the nay-sayers and hate are usually from previous gen Acura owners or previous Acura owners. I noticed a lot of previous Acura owners who bought the Infiniti G came back to hate on Acura. It has to do with confirmation-bias. Where an individual would a new car that think its better - then they come back to hate on the previous car or brand to make themselves feel good about their own purchase. This happens on CL forums too. I have noticed a lot of previous Lexus owners, who bought BMW, come back to give Lexus crap.
Old 04-16-18, 05:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The LS will outsell the 7 Series but probably not outsell the S-Class.
Why not?

Historically, on debut all previous generations of LS's have outsold the 1 year old S Class.
Because the 5LS had an extra 5 years of development time, the 5LS has now debut against a 5 year old S Class, such that the 5LS has more opportunity than ever to continue the LS tradition of outselling the S Class on debut.

Both the 1989 1LS and 2006 4LS won Car of the Year awards.
Both 1989 1LS and 2006 4LS's were the two best selling LS's ever.
Old 04-16-18, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ask Lexus, they are only
projecting sales of 1,000 units per month, which is less than the S Class sells.
Old 04-16-18, 06:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,258 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I agree with SW17LS. The LS will outsell the 7 Series but probably not outsell the S-Class.

So true about the Acura hate. It happened on Acurazine too. I was browsed the Acurazine forums often back in the 2005s-2009s. There was tons of Acura TSX and Acura TL hate on there. Like tons. From what I gathered, the nay-sayers and hate are usually from previous gen Acura owners or previous Acura owners. I noticed a lot of previous Acura owners who bought the Infiniti G came back to hate on Acura. It has to do with confirmation-bias. Where an individual would a new car that think its better - then they come back to hate on the previous car or brand to make themselves feel good about their own purchase. This happens on CL forums too. I have noticed a lot of previous Lexus owners, who bought BMW, come back to give Lexus crap.
Yea I was on the Acurazine forums back then to. I owned a CL-S and a TL-S while still Owning a Lexus SC400. Both the CL-S and TL-S, with just headers, Pulley and Intake would give them a EZ 50 plus Horse. The TL pulled so hard it shut down power at Redline, even tho it kept Climbing. LOL!

Yes there is lots of hate for new model everywhere. If that kept going, every New Car they put out would Suck right off the Bat. Don't get me Started about German Cars. I had my share and wont go back. There are some that are nice, but I remember my experiences with them. IMO there is always a Lexus you can like, unless you have some other issues.
Old 04-16-18, 08:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

So much hate but if you were given the choice right now, no one would choose the 430 over the 500.

OP is just another case of new model envy. We see it all the time, every time a new generation is teased or released. Then the new model will slowly start to "grow" on the majority of the haters and it will repeat like clock work.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion