Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 04:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for the review, Steve. It confirms this is exactly the type of car I've been waiting for from Lexus. I'll stick with my GS for a while, but if I decide to move up the chain, the LS is a sure fit for me. I simply love the styling. To add to the age discussion, I am 41 years old.

I think Lexus figures those who really value quietness and passenger space will gravitate towards SUVs and CUVs anyway, so they're doing this to further differentiate the sedans from the utes. The market shift to crossovers has allowed sedans to become more sporty (less mainstream?).
Great point : why be a low slung SUV when you can be a dynamic flagship sedan.
Old 03-03-18, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for the review, Steve. It confirms this is exactly the type of car I've been waiting for from Lexus. I'll stick with my GS for a while, but if I decide to move up the chain, the LS is a sure fit for me. I simply love the styling. To add to the age discussion, I am 41 years old.

I think Lexus figures those who really value quietness and passenger space will gravitate towards SUVs and CUVs anyway, so they're doing this to further differentiate the sedans from the utes. The market shift to crossovers has allowed sedans to become more sporty (less mainstream?).
Notice, though, that Steve chose a last-generation LS460 to actually take home, instead of a new, somewhat more sport-oriented LS500 (I agree......under the circumstances, I probably also would have). One can talk all day about the increasing "sport" appeal of sedans (and there is some truth to it), but there are also still a lot of people who like and prefer not-so-sport-oriented sedans.....and not necessarily want an SUV.
Old 03-03-18, 04:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Notice, though, that Steve chose a last-generation LS460 to actually take home, instead of a new, somewhat more sport-oriented LS500 (I agree......under the circumstances, I probably also would have). One can talk all day about the increasing "sport" appeal of sedans (and there is some truth to it), but there are also still a lot of people who like and prefer not-so-sport-oriented sedans.....and not necessarily want an SUV.
That’s why they are called market trends, rather than market rules. There are always exceptions.
Old 03-03-18, 04:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I think we just have to be patient and wait till this time next year and see how well 5LS sells.

You never know, the sporty niche 5LS could be a sales sensation - outselling the pants off its rivals: S Class, 7 Series, Audi A8 & Genesis G90.
Old 03-04-18, 07:44 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think we just have to be patient and wait till this time next year and see how well 5LS sells.

You never know, the sporty niche 5LS could be a sales sensation - outselling the pants off its rivals: S Class, 7 Series, Audi A8 & Genesis G90.
Hopefully, and more likely in the US than in Europe,,,,

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-rev...rcedes-s-class
Old 03-04-18, 08:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

going to close this thread as it's going to the general discussion again.
thanks.
Old 04-12-18, 05:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default finally saw a new LS500 on the road

I felt it was as attractive as the new Accord, meaning not very. How long has it been available? 4/11/18 was the first time I have come across one in Phila. My personal reaction was similar to when I first saw the 2000 Maxima--disappointment. Just my opinion...is being a little more conservative and traditional a bad thing? Do you ever want to beat the competition straight out? I thought that was the vision back in 1989...probably a die hard LS fan should get the last of the 4th gens I guess.
Old 04-12-18, 05:40 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

What color was it? Wonder if you'd like it in different colors..? I have only seen one where I live- it was parked at a restaurant. It was black with black interior and looked sharp IMO. I sat outside of the restaurant for a few minutes waiting on my counterparts and watched about 8 different people walk all the way around the car checking it out as they made their way to the entrance. It was definitely getting people's attention which in my view meant it stood out from other cars as people clearly wondered what it was.

I still think the car looks a bit strange from certain angles from the rear- to me it's something about the slope of the roof line meeting the trunk and maybe how that goes with the tail light design..? I'm sure it will grow on me though, especially as other cars come out and start making that look/shape seem less severe. I didn't like the '13 LS when it came out, but now I really like it (other than the wheel options) and find the design much less polarizing. My guess is in a few years it will grow on you - you may never like it as much as other LS's but it won't seem as harsh as it does to you now.

Outside of no V8, the biggest disappointment I have seen with the 500 are some pics showing the cramped rear leg room (I think it was posted in this section of the forum from an auto show). I couldn't believe how little room there was- if I was ok having that type of rear leg room, it opens the door to lots of other competitors. And with Lexus going a bit more sporty on the ride and performance angle, personally for me I'd look at the MB CLS- the design of the new one launching later this summer really speaks to me.
Old 04-12-18, 06:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I felt it was as attractive as the new Accord, meaning not very. How long has it been available? 4/11/18 was the first time I have come across one in Phila. My personal reaction was similar to when I first saw the 2000 Maxima--disappointment. Just my opinion...is being a little more conservative and traditional a bad thing? Do you ever want to beat the competition straight out? I thought that was the vision back in 1989...probably a die hard LS fan should get the last of the 4th gens I guess.
I have seen one so far. Black one. I was surprised how the rear end is slightly jacked up a bit at the rear bumper. Almost looks like it is riding like an SUV at the rear. Overall, I like the design, however something tellls me that long term the design will slow down in sales for the US almost to the point of not even selling it.

We sat in one on Tuesday, my second impression is even better than the first time. The door panels are so well designed and very luxurious. I do like the fit inside as I am not a very large person. Back seat is way too small. Overall, a very nice interior and more luxurious than the outgoing model. Lexus did find ways to make the interior more luxurious but at the same time they found ways to cut some costs inside.

Overall, it’s a nice car. But it seems to be designed for a new age clientele.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-12-18 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 07:51 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

however something tellls me that long tern the design will slow down in sales for the US almost to the point of not evening selling it.

I agree with most everything you wrote except this.
Old 04-12-18, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The interior is really nice I agree, and like I said I like the look from the outside, its just too small inside for me.
Old 04-12-18, 09:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I have only seen them at the dealership so far, but I like it. (The dealership claims that one of their sales people sold 4 on his own in March!)

Would you rather have it in that black-on-black scheme like you saw, or something else? Personally I think it does look good in black, but black interior seems bland IMO.
Old 04-12-18, 11:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The interior is really nice I agree, and like I said I like the look from the outside, its just too small inside for me.
i just sat in one yesterday at auto show... sure, back looks small, but I am a big guy (260lbs) and I was very comfortable both front and back (behind myself). Interior is something else, and exterior is interesting.
Old 04-12-18, 11:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have yet to see one in NYC and I drive every day.
Old 04-12-18, 11:59 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Have not spotted one yet and I live in an area with high Asian population, so you know there has to be at least 2-3 Lexus cars at all times.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion