Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex Dykes and his new Dodge Durango.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I disagree. Those things are important to me in a car, and his description of the different materials in a car and how they compare to a car's competitors is something I find really interesting.

Like I said though, has to be a car or a segment I'm interested in though
It was important 10 years ago, but these days you can expect more or less the same quality and materials in all cars within their price ranges. Maybe there are still a few Chryslers that are still somewhat bad, but for the most part cars are the same nowadays, and you get what you pay for.
Old 04-11-18, 08:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure i've ever seen a 'long term review' from alex on anything and i doubt he'll do it on his own vehicle so i wouldn't bet on it.
Of course he will. It's going to be a five part series YT broadcast over 5 hours. They will be making sure you can't skip ahead because otherwise it will kick you back to his original review
Old 04-11-18, 08:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

lol, so pray tell, who is the least annoying reviewer you've seen?
Jeremy Clarkson and his crew immediately come to mind, but now there are several Russian car reviewers on Youtube that are even more entertaining (if you speak Russian of course).

I do enjoy Doug Demuro's reviews, and the fact that he usually reviews "unusual" cars. Far more interesting and entertaining than listening to someone blab about plastics in a Haiyondie Mediocrity being 2% better than in a Toyota Atrociousness.
Old 04-11-18, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It was important 10 years ago, but these days you can expect more or less the same quality and materials in all cars within their price ranges. Maybe there are still a few Chryslers that are still somewhat bad, but for the most part cars are the same nowadays, and you get what you pay for.
That hasn't been my experience in cars at all actually. I find a pretty big range in quality between models even in the same segments. And actually Chrysler on the whole tends to have better material quality than their price segments would suggest.
Old 04-11-18, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

not sure i've ever seen a 'long term review' from alex on anything and i doubt he'll do it on his own vehicle so i wouldn't bet on it.
I'm sure he'll have something to say about it (when you are a car enthusiast, it's hard to keep quiet about even your own car.....note my own multiple threads on the Lacrosse). I agree, though, that it might not be one of his full-length 25-30-minute reviews.

I was just using the term "bet" though, as a figure of speech, based on opinion. For several reasons, I prefer to avoid true betting and gambling.
Old 04-11-18, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Jeremy Clarkson and his crew immediately come to mind,
You would consider Clarkson a true auto reviewer, and not an entertainer?

The only video he did (though I haven't seen all of his presentations) where I thought he truly did a good, informative job, was his take on the demise of the British auto industry. It's an oldie, but goodie.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would not any longer, I consider him an entertainer.

There was a time when he reviewed cars.
Old 04-11-18, 08:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Top Gear and Grand Tour are entertainment programs that are not limited to reviews, but they do reviews as well. Their reviews tend to be about performance, looks and other exciting aspects of awesome cars, instead of spending 30 seconds on the volume **** and every other button in $120 per month disposable crapbuckets.
Old 04-11-18, 09:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Top Gear and Grand Tour are entertainment programs that are not limited to reviews, but they do reviews as well. Their reviews tend to be about performance, looks and other exciting aspects of awesome cars, instead of spending 30 seconds on the volume **** and every other button in $120 per month disposable crapbuckets.
You mean cars people actually buy?

Personally supercars don’t do anything for me.
Old 04-11-18, 09:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You mean cars people actually buy?

Not necessary super cars, but something with a soul. I completely despise pedestrian cars, and no amount of pretentious glitter would make me not want to crash it into a tree if I had to drive one. Concentrating on every freaking moot detail during the review of such a car is ridiculous. Nobody picks one of these cars over another because in one "the volume **** is on the left and radio tune button is on the right", and in the other "the volume **** is on the top and radio tune button is on the bottom" - they pick these miserable things based on which manufacturer is offering most discounts.
Old 04-11-18, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would imagine people who are looking to buy such a car would have interest in such things.

This is why we have choices. Clearly, there are people who like his reviews. I personally like how he goes through each review the same way.
Old 04-11-18, 09:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Same here. Bentley’s and Rolls Royce’s are special, but supercars are not interesting for me. Someone does own a new red Lamborghini in my Toronto parking garage.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-11-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 09:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not necessary super cars, but something with a soul. I completely despise pedestrian cars, and no amount of pretentious glitter would make me not want to crash it into a tree if I had to drive one. Concentrating on every freaking moot detail during the review of such a car is ridiculous. Nobody picks one of these cars over another because in one "the volume **** is on the left and radio tune button is on the right", and in the other "the volume **** is on the top and radio tune button is on the bottom" - they pick these miserable things based on which manufacturer is offering most discounts.
Not a fan of his reviews. Leaves out some of the imagination and discovery one can learn to find on their own.
Old 04-11-18, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Same here. Bentley’s and Rolls Royce’s are special, but supercars are not interesting for me. Someone does one a new red Lamborghini in my Toronto parking garage.
I agree 100%
Old 04-12-18, 12:53 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

I would not any longer, I consider him an entertainer.

There was a time when he reviewed cars.
that's why super top gear fans (like myself) i've seen usually consider the show to have been on a somewhat downward trend in it's final seasons, or "series" for our british members, when things started to get too blatantly scripted. top gear (and when someone says top gear they really mean 2003-2015 excluding the first season generally since nobody liked jason dawe) was always meant to be an entertaining show that generally revolved around using cars to do things, rather than strictly a show about the cars themselves.

the reason it did so well was mainly because when jeremy richard and james try to do anything the hilarity that almost always ensues is just brilliantly catastrophic. "ambitious but rubbish" as it's often put lol... you don't even really need to speak the same language to find humor in much of the challenges. speaking english though and being able to understand the various references and witticisms just takes it to genius level comedy. one of my favorite episodes ever is the gardening special, has nothing to do with cars but is some of the funniest tv i've ever seen.

anyone say what they want about whether or not he deserved to be fired but it's undeniable that jeremy is responsible for the majority of top gear's success. and to see legit jeremy clarkson car reviews just watch earlier seasons of top gear when it was more aimed at providing actual consumer advice lol...

Quick Reply: Alex Dykes and his new Dodge Durango.