Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Buick Lacrosse gets new colors, new Sport Touring Model.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Buick Lacrosse gets new colors, new Sport Touring Model.

I don't expect to get many responses to this thread....but, for those interested, Buick just announced some of the 2019 changes for its Lacrosse sedan flagship. A new Sport Touring Model is added, as color changes and new 19" wheels. (I hope the 19s aren't standard across the board...I like the way the current base 18" wheels ride). I'm delighted to see the Caragreen Metallic added this year...a beautiful medium-to-dark turquoise/teal color. That, IMO, is the richest-looking color Buick has...also used on some versions of the new Regal and Cascada convertible. But I also like the Gray/Gold-flake Pepperdust Metallic on my car...it somewhat reminds me of the silver retro big Buick I had in college, but a better-looking color. Nevertheless, I would have considered ordering the Caragreen had it been available last year. I'm not surprised the Black Cherry Metallic was dropped.....it was classy-looking, but nobody bought it. I've seen only one Lacrosse with it....sitting on the lot.

(Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, on my six-month Owners' Report, is that, on 87 octane, I'm averaging low 20s in cold weather, close to 25 MPG as temps warm up a little, and 30+ on the highway in light traffic. I've been very pleased with the gas mileage from the V6 and 9-speed transmission. The basic efficiency of that 9-speed gearbox, together with cylinder de-activation at cruise and engine start-stop under some conditions gives good gas mileage for this class of car).

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/03/...ng-model-more/

2019 Buick LaCrosse Gets New Colors, Sport Touring Model & More

Sponsored Links

The Buick LaCrosse finds itself in somewhat of a strange place: it has the makings of a great full-size premium sedan, but it is a sedan in a crossover-hungry market. This circumstance has led to sales of the current, third-generation model, which launched for the 2017 model year, declining significantly compared to the second-generation model it replaced.

Having received various updates for the 2018 model year that resulted in a lower starting price and a more attractive package on the higher end of the model’s spectrum, the LaCrosse is getting a few small changes for 2019, according to a new order guide of the model (linked below), first discovered by GM Authority.

On the outside, two exterior colors are replaced by two new ones:

Deleted Colors:
  • Dark Slate Metallic exterior color
  • Black Cherry Metallic exterior color
New Colors:
  • Carrageen Metallic exterior color
  • Dark Shadow Metallic exterior color
The 2019 Buick LaCrosse also adds a new Sport Touring (1SH) trim level, which adds a new blacked-out grille with body-color surround, as well as a new set of 19-inch aluminum wheels with what is officially referred to as Technical Gray gloss finish.

Inside, the 2019 Buick LaCrosse gains a new cargo net (as an LPO-level accessory) as well as the introduction of a new electronic-powered parking brake. Curiously, the third-gen LaCrosse launched with an electronic parking brake, so we’re not quite sure who this is any different – though the electronic-powered parking brake is assigned a different RPO code from the 2017-2018 model.

And that does it for the differences in store for the Buick LaCrosse.

About Buick LaCrosse

The Buick LaCrosse is a full-size premium sedan that slots above the compact Buick Verano and midsize Buick Regal. The current, third-generation LaCrosse was introduced for the 2017 model year. The vehicle is based on the long wheelbase variant of the GM E2 platform. The short-wheelbase variant of the same platform is shared with the sixth-generation Buick Regal and ninth-generation Chevrolet Malibu.

The 2018 model introduced several new colors, the GM 9-speed automatic transmission in place of the 2017 model’s 8-speed. It also added a new standard powertrain in the form of the mild-hybrid 2.5L engine with eAssist coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission. In addition, the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir is introduced to serve as the range-topping model. For the 2019 model year, the LaCrosse gets two new colors, a new Sport Touring model/trim level, and various other minor updates.

For North America, the Buick LaCrosse is built exclusively at the GM Detroit Hamtramck factory operated by GM USA. A GM China factory produces the vehicle for China.
Old 04-02-18, 11:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the Avenir grill!

Old 04-02-18, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I like the Avenir grill!

The Avalon is nice, particularly inside with the Brandy-colored leather trim, but it comes standard with a sunroof and 19" tires....both No-Nos for my tastes.
Old 04-02-18, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Avalon is nice, ...
avalon?
Old 04-02-18, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
avalon?

Sorry.....typo. Meant the Avenir.

Speaking of the Avalon, though, the mid-generation 2016 update did make it nicer....in several places.

Haven't had a chance to sit in or drive the all-new upcoming 2019 Avalon...but, OMG, that grille.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 04:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry.....typo. Meant the Avenir.

Speaking of the Avalon, though, the mid-generation 2016 update did make it nicer....in several places.

Haven't had a chance to sit in or drive the all-new upcoming 2019 Avalon...but, OMG, that grille.

I will bet the LaCrosse will be canceled by the time the new Avalon gets its mid cycle refresh. Toyota charges $4K more for the starting MSRP than a new LaCrosse.

But anyways, this is a LaCrosse thread, it is surprising that Buick is going to offer a touring model. Wonder if they will firm the suspension a bit.
Old 04-02-18, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I will bet the LaCrosse will be canceled by the time the new Avalon gets its mid cycle refresh.
I certainly hope not. Even though I don't particularly like the E-shifter or the start-up quirk with a few of the warning-lights, GM's got one dedicated customer for it right here. With 18" wheels and the standard suspension, I really like the way this car drives. If they keep it, there is a very strong chance I will get another one in 3-4 years (Carragreen, maybe)? I typically get a new car every 5 years or so.

But anyways, this is a LaCrosse thread, it is surprising that Buick is going to offer a touring model. Wonder if they will firm the suspension a bit.
The Lacrosse already has an optional electronic HiPer Strut suspension that firms things up slightly....and that suspension is combined with the 20" wheels that firm things up even more. That was introduced in the 2017 redesign. Obviously, I wanted no part of it.....neither do most Lacrosse buyers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a shot of the new (for 2019) Sport Touring version in red. Price-wise, It slots in between the Premium and Avenir versions. I'm generally not sport-oriented, and don't particularly like the overall effect....they painted the grille all-black except for the center spear-wing, the grille-surround is body color, and the front fender faux-portholes are also body color instead of leaving them chrome. The trunk also gets a small spoiler, and the wheels go from the smooth-riding 18" to the slightly stiffer 19s. (I can do without any of that stuff......I'll keep my Preferred trim-level, though I do miss one thing on the Preferred.....the automatic tilt-down for the side mirrors when placing the car in reverse). Otherwise, there's no other significant changes on the Sport Touring version, except making the 3.6L V6 and 9-speed automatic (which I also have) standard instead of an option.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...rt-touring-st/

BTW, that's the same exterior color my Verano was. GM, like with the Pepperdust, uses it on a number of their different cars and SUVs, from Chevy up through Cadillac.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 06:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This is a low risk move for Buick. It probably doesn't cost too much to do it and might gain a few extra sales. I wonder how much interest/sales there will be.
Old 07-02-18, 07:17 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the Lacrosse is the high as f hood, and they're using every styling trick in the book to try and mask it.
Old 07-02-18, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The problem with the Lacrosse is the high as f hood, and they're using every styling trick in the book to try and mask it.

The 2017+ models, after the major redesign that year, actually sit noticeably lower to the ground than their predecessors. I know on mine that I have to be very careful with ramps and speed-humps.
Old 07-02-18, 10:38 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to knowledgeable with Buicks. Is this the refresh update? Or is it just "changes"?
Old 07-03-18, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Not to knowledgeable with Buicks. Is this the refresh update? Or is it just "changes"?
The Lacrosse series was introduced in 2005 as a replacement for the old Century/Regal (a new, Opel-derived Regal came into play a few years later). The Lacrosse was totally redesigned for 2010 (when it became Buick's American-market sedan flagship), and again for its present version, in 2017. Several significant changes were made last year, in 2018, with the substitution of the standard hybrid power plant, a new 9-speed transmission for the V6, and the new top-level Avenir trim-level.. This year's (2019) only significant change is new Sport-Touring model, which is mostly cosmetic, although the 20" wheels and Hi-Per suspension (which almost nobody seems to want, because they screw up the ride comfort) remain an option as before. A major redesign, however (if at all), is not expected for at least a few more years.

I say "if at all" because the future of the Lacrosse, along with the other large GM sedans (Impala, XTS, CT6, CTS, and the small hybrid Chevy Volt), which are built at the Detroit/Hamtramck plant (GM Chief Mary Barra was once manager of that plant), may be in doubt if the decision is made to convert that plant to truck/SUV production, which Ford is generally doing with its (Ford-badged) American-market sedans. As of now, though, those GM cars officially remain in production for at least another year....maybe more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-18 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 08:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't expect to get many responses to this thread....but, for those interested, Buick just announced some of the 2019 changes for its Lacrosse sedan flagship. A new Sport Touring Model is added, as color changes and new 19" wheels. (I hope the 19s aren't standard across the board...I like the way the current base 18" wheels ride). I'm delighted to see the Caragreen Metallic added this year...a beautiful medium-to-dark turquoise/teal color. That, IMO, is the richest-looking color Buick has...also used on some versions of the new Regal and Cascada convertible. But I also like the Gray/Gold-flake Pepperdust Metallic on my car...it somewhat reminds me of the silver retro big Buick I had in college, but a better-looking color. Nevertheless, I would have considered ordering the Caragreen had it been available last year. I'm not surprised the Black Cherry Metallic was dropped.....it was classy-looking, but nobody bought it. I've seen only one Lacrosse with it....sitting on the
saw your pepper dust color this evening. I think it might of been your exact trim, what color interior did you get? The pepper dust looked very nice. Also saw the new green color, that color look great as well, very rare to see.
Old 09-24-18, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

saw your pepper dust color this evening. I think it might of been your exact trim, what color interior did you get? The pepper dust looked very nice. Also saw the new green color, that color look great as well, very rare to see.

The Leatherette seating is a very light ivory-grayish color that they call "Neutral". The contrasting trim is a dark brown color. The carpet and all-weather floor mats are black. On the base and Preferred Trim versions (which I ordered), that is the only color available inside...which is no problem, because that was the color I wanted anyway, as it was the one closest to my old Buick in college. Moving up to the Essence and Premium trim, you get a choice of three...Neutral, Brandy (Chestnut Brown), or black. The top-line Avenir gives you a choice of two.

The exterior Pepperdust color is striking in the direct sunlight, where it has a gold-metalflake look to it mixed in with the gray. In the shade, though, it is as dull as the gray used on Navy ships. I haven't seen the Caragreen Metallic you mention yet in person, but it looks good in images. It is also available on the Cascada convertible that you like and some versions of the new Regal.

Where were you...at Buick/GMC shop? I noticed that you also mentioned, in another thread, that you looked at a new Sierra.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-18 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Buick Lacrosse gets new colors, new Sport Touring Model.