2019 Genesis G70 - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Genesis G70

Old 09-18-17, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS View Post
The electronic steer by wire is an option that almost no cars have on it. I don't think its a liability for them as a model at all.

As I see it, few if any other vehicles have that option for a reason.
Old 09-18-17, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, few if any other vehicles have that option for a reason.
Then just don't buy that option...

It's not like they made it standard.
Old 09-18-17, 01:46 PM
oldcajun
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the looks of the G-70. It is sedan version of the Stinger fastback so it shares all the running gear with its KIA platform mate. I expect that the Stinger GT will have a sportier set-up for springs, shocks, and tires. While competing with the 3 series and C class will be tough, this really makes the IS look old and out of date. There is a coupe on the way for the G-70 which could prove interesting.

Genesis really needs a crossover or two. One on this platform would make a nice competitor for the X3, Q5, etc.
Old 09-18-17, 02:57 PM
pbm317
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun View Post
Genesis really needs a crossover or two. One on this platform would make a nice competitor for the X3, Q5, etc.
The crossovers are coming, I believe they said the next debut would be a crossover. And there should likely be one on this platform, as they indicated that the crossovers will also be RWD platform based like the X3 and X5, GLE, GLS, etc. Not FWD based like the MDX, RX, etc.
Old 09-18-17, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Then just don't buy that option...

It's not like they made it standard.
True, but my point was that there is (apparently) not much demand for it. If there was, then other automakers would probably at least be offering it...assuming that Infiniti's patent-protection period on it is over.

I went out of my way to avoid that option when I did a Q50 review several years ago. Chances are that nothing serious would have happened, but I still didn't trust it with my life.
Old 09-18-17, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No you insinuated that the Q50 has an "Achilles heel" around its neck in the form of the steer by wire system, meaning it hurts them in sales, which isn't the case
Old 09-18-17, 05:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic

Some interesting comments from C&D in their recap of a test drive of a G70 prototype.

Just the Beginning?

One of the Genesis brand’s largest challenges is its lack of heritage, although that doesn’t matter much to Koreans, who prefer new things to be completely fresh in every aspect—including vehicle styling not only across generations, but also within a current lineup. This won’t be an issue for this first ever G70, but moving forward, Genesis executives have given themselves—and by extension the marque—the task of shifting the Korean mind-set to more of a global view, where brand identity and bloodline is every bit as important as contemporary product excellence. While forthcoming crossover SUV models will decide Genesis’s financial future, its reputational hopes are firmly pinned on this car. Based on this early exposure, consider that reputation bolstered.
Old 09-18-17, 05:52 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

I love how there needs to be a negative discussion of the steering system of the Infiniti cars. I believe Mercedes has now gotten into the drive-by-wire technology. At the end of the day, if you don't like, then don't buy. I don't understand the big hate for new tech. My 4Runner and LX450 have older power steering that requires fluid, my new Corolla and Matrix are electric steering. I can't really tell the difference, nor do I care. I just know three of the four vehicles are a pleasure to drive. The LX450 is slow, and brutal.

90% of the drivers on the roads today, think they want something but in fact what they really want is the opposite.
Old 09-18-17, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No you insinuated that the Q50 has an "Achilles heel" around its neck in the form of the steer by wire system, meaning it hurts them in sales, which isn't the case

Infiniti, from what I can tell, doesn't break down actual Q50 sales-figures by those with and without the Adaptive-Steering....so there's little or no way to actually measure the difference. What I was refering to was the general dislike of it by the auto press (which is quite well-known), and the hesitancy of some people to trust new technology that is radically different (especially in a steering system), until it has been proved wth time. Some of the same hesitancy, of course, can be seen with self-driving cars.
Old 09-18-17, 06:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Mm, sw - take Infiniti chat to pm please.
Old 09-18-17, 07:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

A few years ago people would have raved about the BMW 5 series and its 360 hp V8. Or the 3 series and its 300 hp turbo straight six. Now you have a mass market brand in Genesis/Huyundai/Kia that essentially will let you have 360+ hp and 0-60 times well below 5 seconds on a RWD chassis.

But boy, what a home run. Where is Lexus in all of this? It's clear that the Koreans outsourced their sedan development to the Germans and you can see the results. This won't sell in large numbers because the G70 class of cars is a niche market. But those are astonishing numbers and styling from a Korean car company. The G70 has some styling improvements to make.

The 3 series still has an edge in styling and performance but here you have Stinger and G70 coming up from behind and there is still Infiniti's Q50/60 still here.
Old 09-18-17, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
It's clear that the Koreans outsourced their sedan development to the Germans and you can see the results.
assuming you're not being literal except for the audi guy (shreyer?) went to hyundai?
Old 09-18-17, 09:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yes, Schreyer for sure, but Albert Biermann from BMW M division (he said a car needs to look like it drives). Belgian Luc Donckerwolke from Bentley. These are men who are behind some of the most iconic European cars people already know. In some ways it will be interesting to see if it's all about brand or performance with cars like G70/Stinger.
Old 09-18-17, 09:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

A few years ago people would have raved about the BMW 5 series and its 360 hp V8. Or the 3 series and its 300 hp turbo straight six. Now you have a mass market brand in Genesis/Huyundai/Kia that essentially will let you have 360+ hp and 0-60 times well below 5 seconds on a RWD chassis.

But boy, what a home run. Where is Lexus in all of this? It's clear that the Koreans outsourced their sedan development to the Germans and you can see the results. This won't sell in large numbers because the G70 class of cars is a niche market. But those are astonishing numbers and styling from a Korean car company. The G70 has some styling improvements to make.

The 3 series still has an edge in styling and performance but here you have Stinger and G70 coming up from behind and there is still Infiniti's Q50/60 still here.
The difference between Genesis and Lexus is that Genesis is still new and not well-known as a car brand (much less a premium car brand) while Lexus is now a well-established, well-known and well-accepted premium car brand.

A new car brand must prove itself to and in its intended market. The time-honoured method for a new car brand to prove and establish itself is to look and act as though it belongs in that market. The brand's new models look like models that are already established in the market segment it is aimed at. So the early Lexus LS models looked like Mercedes-Benz S-Class models. The Genesis G70 looks like the compact luxury-sports models that are already established in the market. It is no coincidence that the G70 looks like a mish-mash of Infiniti and BMW.

Lexus is now well-established. It is well-past time that it started to establish its own brand identity. It is well-past time that Lexus grew up and moved out of its parents' home and establish its own home. If it continued to emulate the German brands, buyers would start to lose interest. Why continue to buy a copy when the real thing is available (at comparable prices)?

Lexus has been known for its "pursuit of perfection", reliability, dependability; it has developed its own recognizable grille and is developing its own, Japanese-inspired styling. It is right to start behaving as a grown-up brand and stop trying to be what it is not. Lexus is not MB. Lexus is not BMW. Lexus must stop trying to be MB and BMW. Lexus must establish its own brand identity.
Old 09-18-17, 09:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Yes, Schreyer for sure, but Albert Biermann from BMW M division (he said a car needs to look like it drives). Belgian Luc Donckerwolke from Bentley. These are men who are behind some of the most iconic European cars people already know. In some ways it will be interesting to see if it's all about brand or performance with cars like G70/Stinger.
Genesis (and Hyundai and Kia still to a certain extent) is still out to prove itself as a car brand worth looking at. What better way to prove yourself than to hire people who are proven talents? The Germans are the standard-bearers in the premium class so why not hire the talent that has helped the 3 big German luxury brands maintain their standards?

But Lexus no longer has to prove itself. It is a well-known, well-established, well-accepted luxury brand now. Now it is time for Lexus to establish its own, Japanese identity, which can, and should be different from the Germans' identities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: